MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet - currently "set" on CPAP mode
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10 and P10 - varies
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New Sleep Doc + New DME = Trying new approach to PAP therapy.

Sex: Female

RE: New User
Hi, nightflight,

I would imagine (but don't know for certain) that Lorazepam might relax your throat. I also believe taking this medication would lower your oxygen levels. I'm not a doctor, but I used to take Lorazepam to fall asleep (because I had huge anxiety about not being able to breathe when I fell asleep). Lorazepam made my O2 levels fall alarmingly during sleep, so this medication didn't help me breathe while I was sleeping. Finally my cardiologist sent me for a sleep test. Now - no more nightly Lorazepam! Just a mask, hose and xPAP therapy.

First, download SleepyHead. Get some nightly stats. Second, ask the doctor that is prescribing Lorazepam to give you an over-night pulse oximeter test. See what your O2 levels are doing at night. And do this FAST. Your life may depend upon it.
08-07-2014 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
nightflight Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips System One
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
(08-07-2014 01:46 PM)MAPnea Wrote:  Hi, nightflight,

I would imagine (but don't know for certain) that Lorazepam might relax your throat. I also believe taking this medication would lower your oxygen levels. I'm not a doctor, but I used to take Lorazepam to fall asleep (because I had huge anxiety about not being able to breathe when I fell asleep). Lorazepam made my O2 levels fall alarmingly during sleep, so this medication didn't help me breathe while I was sleeping. Finally my cardiologist sent me for a sleep test. Now - no more nightly Lorazepam! Just a mask, hose and xPAP therapy.

First, download SleepyHead. Get some nightly stats. Second, ask the doctor that is prescribing Lorazepam to give you an over-night pulse oximeter test. See what your O2 levels are doing at night. And do this FAST. Your life may depend upon it.

I took an oxygen test a few months ago, it the numbers were low. This was before I was taking the Lorazepam. I used to be able to fall asleep without aid, except for melatonin; but since this apnea came around, my life has been vastly changed.

I don't know if SleepHead will work on my Chromebook. I did however find a card that came with my apap; and there is a slot for a card in the Chromebook. I'll try to download it tonight.

Thanks for replying. Wink
08-07-2014 03:13 PM
bwexler Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS 1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced, with Heated Tube humidifier
Mask Make & Model: Sleepweaver Élan
Humidifier: Resperonics Heated Tube humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Max pressure 25.0 cm H20, Max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: CMS 50i with Software for SpO2

Rather than asking the doctor for ONE overnight pulse ox study why night buy you very own CMS 50x wrist pulse ox and an overnight study whenever you are curious and bring the results to your doctor if an when you see him. In the mean time you will know what is happening with your health.
In addition to my APAP ASV machine I have a CMS 50i pulse oximeter and a recording blood pressure machine and my own Iratio 2 INR test machine so I can view track and print out my important info and present it to my doctors if they show an interest. Weather or not the doctors care I can monitor and track my results and make my own adjustments when needed. More often than not I tell my doctor what I want and he simply says OK. He has learned how persistent I can be. He will even go to bat for me when the system doesn't cooperate.
08-07-2014 03:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
nightflight Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

(08-07-2014 03:13 PM)bwexler Wrote:  Rather than asking the doctor for ONE overnight pulse ox study why night buy you very own CMS 50x wrist pulse ox and an overnight study whenever you are curious and bring the results to your doctor if an when you see him. In the mean time you will know what is happening with your health.
In addition to my APAP ASV machine I have a CMS 50i pulse oximeter and a recording blood pressure machine and my own Iratio 2 INR test machine so I can view track and print out my important info and present it to my doctors if they show an interest. Weather or not the doctors care I can monitor and track my results and make my own adjustments when needed. More often than not I tell my doctor what I want and he simply says OK. He has learned how persistent I can be. He will even go to bat for me when the system doesn't cooperate.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I looked them up and they are pretty cheap.
08-07-2014 05:01 PM
MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet - currently "set" on CPAP mode
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10 and P10 - varies
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8

Other Comments: New Sleep Doc + New DME = Trying new approach to PAP therapy.

Sex: Female

Hi, again, nightflight,

I have a CMS-50DPlus that I got from Supplier #19 (on the supplier list… link to Suppliers at the top of this page) for $70.00. It can be used with SleepyHead, too. I tape mine to my finger (one piece of tape on each side of my finger) and am able to sleep with it… and not lose it during the night. Supplier #19 is very helpful, too.
08-07-2014 06:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
nightflight Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

I downloaded the SleepyHead file, but I don't know what to do next. How do you open it?
08-08-2014 01:46 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(08-08-2014 01:46 AM)nightflight Wrote:  I downloaded the SleepyHead file, but I don't know what to do next. How do you open it?

You may wish to read RobySue's instructions here:

Installing SleepyHead:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...4#pid73184

Running SleepyHead for the First Time:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...5#pid73185

Here is the direct link to RobySue's complete Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead (Table of Contents):

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...2#pid73182

If after reading the Beginner's Guide you still have problems or questions, simply post a note in the above thread.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

08-08-2014 10:05 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
nightflight Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

RE: New User (finding proper settings)
I guess this doesn't work on a Chromebook. I can't make heads or tails on how to "open" this file.

I tried sleeping last night without the sedative; feel worse than ever now. I think I'm going to just look into a dental device; all this other stuff is too complicated.
08-08-2014 12:14 PM
nightflight Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

RE: New User (finding proper settings)
Looks like I'm getting an S9 somethin' somethin'. I have an appointment to switch out my auto-device. Not sure what's going on here; I know there was a question about my insurance paying for this. I told my doctor that and he sent a note to the supplier to try and help me with that.
08-14-2014 01:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie - need advice on settings and machine tmc712 18 346 Yesterday 09:04 PM
Last Post: tmc712
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 9 478 Yesterday 08:00 PM
Last Post: SnoreGalore
  Dream Station Ramp and Pressure Settings knowoneuno 21 434 Yesterday 11:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,298 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Dream Station Settings Autumnseer 15 530 11-26-2016 07:01 AM
Last Post: Weird Tolkienish Figure
  New User! SKClay 3 263 11-21-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  new user wants advice Gazz 3 234 11-19-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred