Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User (finding proper settings)
New User (finding proper settings)
Hi
I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea (AHI 10). I now have a Philips System One Auto A Flex. I do not know the pressure. After a week of using it, I felt way better. This lasted for about two weeks. Now, I'm not so good. Why am getting worse? I don't think there are any leaks in my nasal mask.

Very discouraged.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User
Welcome to the forum, nightflight
PR System One instructions and setup video
http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions
Clinical manual available via email, scroll down to bottom of the page
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
SleepyHead software download link at the top of the page

For most people feeling better is gradual over long period of time. For me took weeks to feel better, finding the right mask is the clincher.
There are many styles of masks available including some very lightweight models
Your machine have some options to helps with comfort
1- Humidifier (if using one) breathing cold air can be irritating for some
2- Ramp is useful feature, it allows less pressure when you first turn on the machine and slowly builds up to the set pressure while you are falling asleep
3- Flex (exhale pressure relief) might helps people who find it hard to exhale against set pressure, it lower pressure somewhat during exhalation so easier and more comfortable to breathe out

To succeed with CPAP, you need to have realistic expectation, be patient and work with the problems that may come up.
If you control your sleep apnea, you,ll enjoy a healthier life

Not everyone find using CPAP is easy but there are things you can do to helps
Tips for new CPAP users http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
We actually need a bit more information nightflight. It's not unusual to have immediate good results then feel like it's not so great a little later on, but we can't really say if anything is going on without data. I believe your machine is a fully data capable machine, so download and install the sleepyhead software from the link above, and research how to use it.

We could really use your pressure settings, your leak numbers and your ahi numbers.

But welcome to the forum, we're glad you found us.

And about the getting discouraged part? Don't. Everything will be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nightflight,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to so just stick with it, though it gets mighty discouraging at times, don't give up.
It will get better.
I would also suggest that you get the software mentioned in zonk's post so you can get more help and, so you can start learning how to read your graphs. This will help you monitor what's going on with your sleep.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all.

I don't think I can do the software; I have a Chromebook only.

Something I didn't mention and probably should have; beginning last week I've had some nasal blockage. Several nights I went to sleep with only one nostril clear. I bought some Nasacort today, never tried it before. Otherwise I haven't had too much discomfort with the nasal mask. In fact when I wake up I like to leave it on and websurf for a while.

I'm kind of in limbo now with this. The place I rent my machine from asked me to return the transmitter, saying my results were not conclusive. I couldn't get my AHI below 5, so insurance won't be paying for this. They also recommeded a in lab sleep study. My initial study was with a home test. An in lab study is out of the question for me; I work second shift and often have a hard time falling asleep. Especially so in a strange place.

Thank you all for your replies!
Post Reply Post Reply
#1. If you have any kind of nasal blockages or restrictions it stymies me as to why they stuck you with a nasal mask. You probably need a full face mask just to stay pressurized.

#2. If you aren't getting an AHI below 5, you aren't getting proper treatment.
Maybe it's time to change doctors! These guys aren't connecting the dots but they sure are happy to empty your wallet!

Best of luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, nightflight,

Welcome to the forum! What Shastzi said is so important: try a full face mask to see if that helps get your AHI down below 5. MAKE NOISE or look on Craigslist wherever you are and try to find a full face mask to try. Call your doctor that ordered the "at home" sleep study, set up another appointment and try your best to come up with another sleep study.

Remember - if you have sleep apnea (and it sure sounds like you do) - this is your LIFE you are talking about. Treating your sleep apnea is the most important thing you can do for yourself.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2014, 10:56 PM)Shastzi Wrote: #1. If you have any kind of nasal blockages or restrictions it stymies me as to why they stuck you with a nasal mask. You probably need a full face mask just to stay pressurized.

#2. If you aren't getting an AHI below 5, you aren't getting proper treatment.
Maybe it's time to change doctors! These guys aren't connecting the dots but they sure are happy to empty your wallet!

Best of luck!

I don't have chronic nasal blockages; just the past couple of weeks I would get a little stuffy late at night. I bought some Nasacort, so I'll see how that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2014, 11:11 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Hi, nightflight,

Welcome to the forum! What Shastzi said is so important: try a full face mask to see if that helps get your AHI down below 5. MAKE NOISE or look on Craigslist wherever you are and try to find a full face mask to try. Call your doctor that ordered the "at home" sleep study, set up another appointment and try your best to come up with another sleep study.

Remember - if you have sleep apnea (and it sure sounds like you do) - this is your LIFE you are talking about. Treating your sleep apnea is the most important thing you can do for yourself.

I'm thinking of having a full mask as a backup. Also, there may be a problem with my nasal mask drifting up. I can feel the plastic liner touching the bottom of my nose. I can still breathe, but I wonder if it may be having an effect, however tiny. Last night I awoke twice to the whistling sound; it was me allowing a stream of air escape through my clenched jaw.

I'm going to call the place that provides my machine and find out what my pressure is, then I can give you all more info.

Post Reply Post Reply
Two things I want to add.

1. My pressure is at 8.3 cmh2o.

2. I take a Lorazepam to help me go to sleep. Could this in anyway hinder the therapy, in the way alcohol is said to? I read that alcohol relaxes the throat and prevents the cpap from working as effectively, so I wonder if my pill does the same.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Smile [CPAP] Hello, newish user trying to get settings dialed in. RustyOs 0 244 02-11-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: RustyOs
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 472 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New User Trying To Set Up CPAP Settings SleepLighter 5 425 01-13-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Pressure] Advice Needed: AirCurve 10 ASV Pressure Settings - First-Time User bruno.mosconi 25 1,068 01-06-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bruno.mosconi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.