Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User (finding proper settings)
RE: New User
Hi, nightflight,

I would imagine (but don't know for certain) that Lorazepam might relax your throat. I also believe taking this medication would lower your oxygen levels. I'm not a doctor, but I used to take Lorazepam to fall asleep (because I had huge anxiety about not being able to breathe when I fell asleep). Lorazepam made my O2 levels fall alarmingly during sleep, so this medication didn't help me breathe while I was sleeping. Finally my cardiologist sent me for a sleep test. Now - no more nightly Lorazepam! Just a mask, hose and xPAP therapy.

First, download SleepyHead. Get some nightly stats. Second, ask the doctor that is prescribing Lorazepam to give you an over-night pulse oximeter test. See what your O2 levels are doing at night. And do this FAST. Your life may depend upon it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2014, 01:46 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Hi, nightflight,

I would imagine (but don't know for certain) that Lorazepam might relax your throat. I also believe taking this medication would lower your oxygen levels. I'm not a doctor, but I used to take Lorazepam to fall asleep (because I had huge anxiety about not being able to breathe when I fell asleep). Lorazepam made my O2 levels fall alarmingly during sleep, so this medication didn't help me breathe while I was sleeping. Finally my cardiologist sent me for a sleep test. Now - no more nightly Lorazepam! Just a mask, hose and xPAP therapy.

First, download SleepyHead. Get some nightly stats. Second, ask the doctor that is prescribing Lorazepam to give you an over-night pulse oximeter test. See what your O2 levels are doing at night. And do this FAST. Your life may depend upon it.

I took an oxygen test a few months ago, it the numbers were low. This was before I was taking the Lorazepam. I used to be able to fall asleep without aid, except for melatonin; but since this apnea came around, my life has been vastly changed.

I don't know if SleepHead will work on my Chromebook. I did however find a card that came with my apap; and there is a slot for a card in the Chromebook. I'll try to download it tonight.

Thanks for replying. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
Rather than asking the doctor for ONE overnight pulse ox study why night buy you very own CMS 50x wrist pulse ox and an overnight study whenever you are curious and bring the results to your doctor if an when you see him. In the mean time you will know what is happening with your health.
In addition to my APAP ASV machine I have a CMS 50i pulse oximeter and a recording blood pressure machine and my own Iratio 2 INR test machine so I can view track and print out my important info and present it to my doctors if they show an interest. Weather or not the doctors care I can monitor and track my results and make my own adjustments when needed. More often than not I tell my doctor what I want and he simply says OK. He has learned how persistent I can be. He will even go to bat for me when the system doesn't cooperate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2014, 03:13 PM)bwexler Wrote: Rather than asking the doctor for ONE overnight pulse ox study why night buy you very own CMS 50x wrist pulse ox and an overnight study whenever you are curious and bring the results to your doctor if an when you see him. In the mean time you will know what is happening with your health.
In addition to my APAP ASV machine I have a CMS 50i pulse oximeter and a recording blood pressure machine and my own Iratio 2 INR test machine so I can view track and print out my important info and present it to my doctors if they show an interest. Weather or not the doctors care I can monitor and track my results and make my own adjustments when needed. More often than not I tell my doctor what I want and he simply says OK. He has learned how persistent I can be. He will even go to bat for me when the system doesn't cooperate.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I looked them up and they are pretty cheap.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, again, nightflight,

I have a CMS-50DPlus that I got from Supplier #19 (on the supplier list… link to Suppliers at the top of this page) for $70.00. It can be used with SleepyHead, too. I tape mine to my finger (one piece of tape on each side of my finger) and am able to sleep with it… and not lose it during the night. Supplier #19 is very helpful, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I downloaded the SleepyHead file, but I don't know what to do next. How do you open it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2014, 01:46 AM)nightflight Wrote: I downloaded the SleepyHead file, but I don't know what to do next. How do you open it?

You may wish to read RobySue's instructions here:

Installing SleepyHead:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...4#pid73184

Running SleepyHead for the First Time:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...5#pid73185

Here is the direct link to RobySue's complete Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead (Table of Contents):

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...2#pid73182

If after reading the Beginner's Guide you still have problems or questions, simply post a note in the above thread.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User (finding proper settings)
I guess this doesn't work on a Chromebook. I can't make heads or tails on how to "open" this file.

I tried sleeping last night without the sedative; feel worse than ever now. I think I'm going to just look into a dental device; all this other stuff is too complicated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User (finding proper settings)
Looks like I'm getting an S9 somethin' somethin'. I have an appointment to switch out my auto-device. Not sure what's going on here; I know there was a question about my insurance paying for this. I told my doctor that and he sent a note to the supplier to try and help me with that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Smile [CPAP] Hello, newish user trying to get settings dialed in. RustyOs 0 244 02-11-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: RustyOs
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 472 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New User Trying To Set Up CPAP Settings SleepLighter 5 425 01-13-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Pressure] Advice Needed: AirCurve 10 ASV Pressure Settings - First-Time User bruno.mosconi 25 1,068 01-06-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bruno.mosconi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.