Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User of 2 Nights
New User of 2 Nights
Hello - I'm glad to find this board.  I have 2 nights of C-Pap use.  I don't find anything uncomfortable about the mask or hose, however, I have had a long history of insomnia, also treated for high blood pressure and mitral valve regurgitation.  Even though I've had insomnia, my sleep is deprived for the past 2 nights.  I used the mask for 7 hours the 1st night and 5 hours the 2nd night.  Is this typical to not be able to sleep? How long will this last.  I am positive and determined to make this work.  I could use some support.  Thank You.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User of 2 Nights
I’m also new to CPAP so hard to say if normal at start and you just  need to get used to the mask, airflow etc. I hope so. But have you tried medicines to treat your insomnia? As soon as my my sleep apnea doctor heard that I had insomnia episodes, he prescribed me Trazodone. It's antidepressant, but the way he put that: it's the only way to treat insomnia without affecting breathing functions (apparently normal sleeping pills do, and are not recommended for patients with sleep apnea).

But the sad truth is I still waiting until it helps. It's been a week now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, and welcome to the board.

I'm relatively new to xPAP, just since September. It does take a little while before things begin to settle out and become routine. It sounds like you are off to a good start though! Being comfortable and a good attitude is a huge factor in being successful, in my opinion, and you already have those. Plus you are taking control of your own destiny by being here and becoming informed. Now all you need is some time for your body to adjust.

I would recommend focusing on sleep hygiene and establishing a good bedtime routine. Try to just focus on that, so that your mind is at ease knowing you are doing everything possible to ensure a good nights sleep. Yeah, I think those are the four most important things: Personal Empowerment, Comfort, Positive Attitude, Peaceful Mind

Also, I would highly recommend downloading SleepyHead and learning how to post charts. You will certainly want to have some of the more experienced users here take a look at them and give you feedback at some point.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes it's typical for the first couple of weeks and up to 3 months to fully adjust to cpap use.

Google sleep hygiene and cbt-insomnia, you can break the cycle.

you aren't having trouble keeping the mask on..a big first step forward Smile

get sleepyhead and learn how to post charts, Get one up when you have a few hours sleep, to see how the treatment is going.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Solar Rays,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It can take a bit of time to get used to the therapy, but just stick with it, it does get better over time.
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2017, 02:27 PM)Solar Rays Wrote: Hello - I'm glad to find this board.  I have 2 nights of C-Pap use.  I don't find anything uncomfortable about the mask or hose, however, I have had a long history of insomnia, also treated for high blood pressure and mitral valve regurgitation.  Even though I've had insomnia, my sleep is deprived for the past 2 nights.  I used the mask for 7 hours the 1st night and 5 hours the 2nd night.  Is this typical to not be able to sleep? How long will this last.  I am positive and determined to make this work.  I could use some support.  Thank You.

I don't know if it's typical or not, but that certainly has been my experience.  I was prescribed an Autoset machine set to 5.0 minimum and 15.0 maximum after a home sleep study.

I'd go to sleep and wake-up 20-40 minutes later.  Then I couldn't get to sleep for 1.5 hours.  When I finally did, I'd sleep for 1.5 to 3 hours and then wake up again.  It'd take another hour to get to sleep and then I'd sleep another 2 to 4 hours.  

I did that several days in a row and ultimately felt miserable.  I had to stop for 3 days to recover.  Ultimately, I decided the best way to acclimate was to give the machine ONE chance each night.  I put it on, go to sleep, and if I wake up, I turn it off and get back to sleep without it for the rest of the night.  That way I won't feel miserable the next day...

I asked several of my friends about their experience.  One friend told me that he never had any trouble with the machine waking him up.  But, later in that same conversation he told me that he takes Ambien.  Talk about burying the lead!  Another friend of mine says that he takes an OTC sleep medication every night in order to sleep, and only got the CPAP because his wife insisted he do something about the snoring.

I started reviewing the data and came to the conclusion that the 5.0 starting level was too low and that the use of EPR at 3.0 was also screwing up the therapy levels in ways that I hadn't anticipated.  I made some adjustments, but ultimately hit the 30 day mark and followed-up with my doctor before I got things working well.

The doctor told me that only about 50% of patients she sees adapt to autoset therapy, and that the rest require an in lab sleep study to come up with fixed pressures to use.

If you cannot sleep with the machine, go back to your doctor and ask him or her what to do.  In my case, it's an in lab sleep study...
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, your assemilation has begun.

I've been using cpap for about a month. I can tell you it took a week or so to get used to it.

I had trouble even falling sleep at first. I'd either feel like I wasn't able to breath or I'd nod off and wake with a start.

After I did get to sleep, I too would be gone for a few hours. I would then wake up feeling fully refreshes. Then I'd look at the clock and think no way 4 hours is enough sleep. I'd try to get back to sleep, but if I couldn't I just got up and did stuff.

After a couple minor adjustments, 4 turned into 6 or 8 hours of sleep. Occasionally, a pressure change would wake me up but it's right back to sleep.

Early on your biggest job is getting your settings dialed in. Sleepyhead will be invaluable. It will allow you to figure out a fixed pressure if you want. I did goto a lab before I got my machine. My 95% pressure on auto is exactly what my prescription pressure is. The machine though has gone above that number though so glad I had auto tuned on.

Your other job is to make sure you're getting compliance squared away. That's typically 4 hours a day, 5 days a week over a month.

The first couple nights when I woke up and couldn't sleep I just left the mask on and watched TV.

Flash forward to a month and now my biggest problem is waking up and thinking I'd taken off my mask and turned off the machine because they've melted into my face and the machine is so quiet.

I'm still tinkering with some minor things and due to my erratic schedule compliance can be challege because it runs from noon to noon. All that has to happen is I get to be late and or have to get up early and while I've slept more than 4 hours it will be on the "wrong" day. D'oh

As a tip, taking some magnesium about 30 minutes before bed will do wonders to help get b you to sleep.

It will get to be second nature, and you'll eventually start planning the demise of anyone threatening your machine.

Anthony
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m about 2 months into my CPAP therapy after trying and failing year and a half ago.  First time I was diagnosed and given a brick and poor fitting mask and between that & my ignorance - I did not comply with Medicare requirements and had to return the machine.

After feeling worse started process over and lucky for me - found this board which has helped tremendously help get educated (long ways to go) and I am determined to make it work this time.

First & formost make certain you meet the requirements of your provider.  I averaged 7 hours a night each night but not all was sleep - wore mask while reading since Compliance was my first goal while tweaking  the machine to get those total events down.

I too am a long time insomniac but fortunately very healthy and active.  My doctor has me on Ambian (10mg) and Trazodone (50mg).  Ambian to sleep & Trazodone to quiet my mind so I can sleep.  I don’t take Ambian nightly but only when I really need to sleep.  

I also wake up often since I tend to move a lot and get tied up in the hose or move the mask causing leaks.  But I try to not take the mask off since CPAP has helped with me feeling better, having more energy AND dreaming again (meaning I get to REM phase of sleep.

My AHI have gone down to where I am under 5 with variance between 2-3 being my average (a guess).

I say all of this to help you understand it is a journey and not an easy one but with the right attitude, determination and sticktoittiveness - it will help your overall health.

Formost use the mask daily/nightly at least 4 hours (my goal was no less than 6 hours) each day for 30 days + to ensure you meet the insurance company compliance requiremts then continue because you find out you are actually being benefited by the CPAP therapy.

Good luck and don’t give up.  Lots of experts on here will help - ask and follow their advice to make the journey easier.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Medications have been mentioned by a couple of people in regards to sleeping.

I was just introduced to some homeopathic preparations that help with sleep - one for quieting the mind, and I can't recall the other. They are Boiron brand and found in healthfood stores (USA). So if you have any qualms about taking allopathic sleep medications, know that there are alternatives.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2017, 05:10 PM)kiwii Wrote: Medications have been mentioned by a couple of people in regards to sleeping.

I was just introduced to some homeopathic preparations that help with sleep - one for quieting the mind, and I can't recall the other. They are Boiron brand and found in healthfood stores (USA). So if you have any qualms about taking allopathic sleep medications, know that there are alternatives.

Hi Kiwii

Would love to get the details, if you can remember, or perhaps dig them out.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 453 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 583 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 455 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 374 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.