Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Love CPAP, but... please help me with these side-effects
RE: I Love CPAP, but... please help me with these side-effects
(05-16-2018, 04:24 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: To Update...

This thread, plus a friend (who has always been larger than me, until recently) giving me her "fat clothes" which she no longer had a use for, was the kick in the pants I needed.

6 weeks ago, I started Couch to 5k, and I've been doing it 1-2 x/week.  I also joined Weight Watchers 5 weeks ago, and have lost 10 pounds so far!  

Weight Watchers is teaching me that I really was overeating. So now I'm learning better portion sizes, and better self-control (ie: only get Starbucks 1-2 x/week, and don't eat out more than 1 x/day).

As far as gas... I am now sleeping on 2 pillows (my shoulders are at the 1st pillow's level, and my head is on the 2nd pillow).  And I try to sleep more on my right side or on my back.  And this has significantly helped!!!!

That's excellent!  10lb down is WAY better than 10lb up! 

I've always liked Weight Watchers and it's worked well for me when I've used it.

Great job!
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason people who lose weight and then put it back on is that they have not permanently changed their lifestyle/eating habits so when they are not being watched/monitored they resort to past behavior. Congrats to those who have made the permanent lifestyle changes. Keep it up. Hydrangea - glad to see you are on the path. S. Ann - You got this!
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the support.

I'm not worried about gaining back. And I'm doing nothing drastic. I don't believe in diets. A sustainable lifestyle is where it's at.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2018, 04:24 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: To Update...

This thread, plus a friend (who has always been larger than me, until recently) giving me her "fat clothes" which she no longer had a use for, was the kick in the pants I needed.

6 weeks ago, I started Couch to 5k, and I've been doing it 1-2 x/week.  I also joined Weight Watchers 5 weeks ago, and have lost 10 pounds so far!  

Weight Watchers is teaching me that I really was overeating. So now I'm learning better portion sizes, and better self-control (ie: only get Starbucks 1-2 x/week, and don't eat out more than 1 x/day).

As far as gas... I am now sleeping on 2 pillows (my shoulders are at the 1st pillow's level, and my head is on the 2nd pillow).  And I try to sleep more on my right side or on my back.  And this has significantly helped!!!!

Congratulations!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Aerophagia: I was getting acid reflux due to all the air in my stomach. I decided to experiment with lower pressures and that has helped a lot. At the same time, it eliminated my central apneas, so I guess my settings were incorrect. You may want to experiment with your pressures to see if they're set at the lowest effective level.

Weight loss: While I wouldn't sleep without the machine presently, I'm trying to find a combination of factors that will allow me to eliminate it. One of those factors I'm trying is weight loss. I've lost ten pounds in the last 6 weeks. At the same time, I started working out 6 days a week, so I've put on a lot of muscle. Therefore, I've probably lost 15 pounds of fat and I have about 10 pounds to go to be truly slim. I don't know if I'll make it that low, but I sure would like to see how much apnea I would have if I were thin.

As for weight loss tips, you have to find what works for you. I enjoy eating very much, so I feel that I've had to trade the pleasure of overeating to gain the pleasure of feeling better the rest of the time. If you focus on the deprivation, then it's a sufferance, but if you focus on the improvement in how you feel, then it's a net positive even though you've had to give up something. I think from that it's not a great leap to realize that you're not just dieting, but instead, trying to permanently change your eating habits so that you can maximize your happiness. Again, it's not a negative but a positive. That's the psychological part you have to come to grips with.

As for the logistics, you need to regulate how often and how much you eat. One way would be to eat everything you eat now, but half as much. What works for me is to cut way down on carbs, keep protein high since I'm working out, keep fruit and vegetables high, reduce alcohol and sweets. I don't eliminate anything and I make sure that I'm at least eating some protein and fat every meal to ensure satisfaction. There's one thing I eat a lot more of: Peanut Butter, the natural organic kind, not the stuff with sugar and trans fats. If I'm hungry, I'll eat a small spoon of peanut butter and hold myself over. I'm eating a complete breakfast with protein, vegetables, fruit, etc, and then just a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter for lunch, or a boiled egg and one spoonful of peanut butter. That's only about 200 calories. Light meal substitutes like that don't leave you hungry and allow you to "skip" one meal a day. In any case, you can find your own daily routine, but I think having something like peanut butter to turn to allows you to eat less at mealtime because you know you're not going to have to go hungry.

Dieting is usually difficult for the first few days, but after that initial adjustment, your stomach feels full with less food. I knew I was going to change my diet to lose weight, but I waited until I was ready to commit. I ate so much that at times I got sick of food and less inspired by the flavors. I recommend you eat all you want until you're ready and then lock yourself in with commitment. If you go off for a meal such as on a night out, then you have to recover for the next 30 hours or so by eating lighter. You have to stick to it and time will take care of the rest.

Good luck! I can tell you that it's well worth it. I feel much younger and more energetic, not only due to weight loss, but also due to exercise. I miss eating a lot, but as I said, that's more than made up for by the very noticeable positive general feeling.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two more quick tips:

1) Water has zero calories and is a great weight loss aid. After you've eaten enough food but want to get more out of habit, stay at the table and drink a quart of water instead. There's a delay between eating and feeling full. If you drink a lot of water during that period, afterward, your stomach will be so full that it will be easy for you to resist food. And drinking a lot of water is good for you, too!

2) Warm weather helps, so consider starting this time of the year or even moving to a warmer climate. If you're in a cold climate, you're more likely to be successful if you start dieting in the spring and go through the summer. Anytime of the year is possible, but fall and winter months are more difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on losing 10 pounds and starting the Couch to 5km program, Hydrangea! Thanks for the update.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 417 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 530 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.