Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Correct mask for high pressure
Correct mask for high pressure
I have been using CPAP equipment for a number of years and have had no problem with my ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet w/Humidifier combined with the AirFit P10 nasal pillows running a CPAP pressure of 15. I  recently had the pressure increased to 20 and the mask problems began. The P10 nasal pillows would dislodge themselves a number of times during the night (usually when I changed positions in bed) and this woke me up almost every time. I heard many good things about the F&P Brevida so I decided to try those nasal pillows. The Brevida is actually worse and seemed to dislodge more than the P10. 

My main questions are whether the nasal pillows just cannot be used when you have a pressure of 20 (I have heard that a CPAP pressure of 20 is basically the top limit for nasal pillows). If the pillows won't work, what is the best type of mask that anyone would recommend? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Correct mask for high pressure
I use to think that the P10's didn't go above 20cm. I was wrong. I have used them up to 25cm without problem. I found if you keep the headgear tight there should be no problem. You my need to use the clips that come with the mask or use the For Her headgear which is an inch shorter.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would agree with walla walla, I use p10s and regularly see inspiratory pressure above 20cm.  

I had a lot of difficulty with leaks when I first started with the p10s and ASV but I found the more I was able to control the leaks the more successful they were at higher pressures.  

Two things I do religiously which helped immensely with the leaks:

(1) clean the nasal prong daily.  I fee this promotes a much better seal.

(2) soak the headband only in hot water every 2-3 days.  This keeps it from stretching out of shape.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a spare dreamwear strap as an extra strap to keep the P10 tight.

First I put on the P10, and then I stretch the dreamwear strap behind my head and use the Velcro at the end to fasten to the P10 straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only started with the P10 (and more recently than you) in association with reducing pressures but have found that if I do not clean my mouth and nose area before sleep leaks abound as the fit around the nose sloshes about through the night. Also it follows that keeping the pillows clean and dry helps too.

Its been 6 months of use and I have now used the clips to tighten the straps.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.