Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New and Disappointed
RE: New and Disappointed
Hi JoLyn,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy when you get your machine and I hope you are able to get your computer problems resolved.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
All this talk of recharging batteries and adapter polarity has me confused... In at least one post, JoLyn referred to it as a desktop computer, a Dell, and opening it up to look at the graphics card.
I believe JoLyn has a (dead) desktop Dell, a big square box with a built in (usually proprietary) power supply. I suspect it will be very difficult to find a replacement that fits.
SleepyHead will run on a Raspberry Pi 3, perhaps the lowest cost computer that will run SleepyHead. It requires a TV with HDMI input, a keyboard and mouse, and an SD card reader. I compile it myself, but it could be packaged as a deb file for easy installation, if there was enough interest.
Post Reply Post Reply
I replaced the power supply in my own computer recently. The cost of a new decent quality power supply in the US is often around $100, depending on your configuration.

It wasn't very hard so if you have a friend that is computer inclined you could get them to help you out or just take it to a store like best buy to do it.

It would still be cheaper going that route rather than buying a new computer. If the rest of your computer is still quite usable.

Edit: I just saw Pholynk's response. I was not aware that Dell desktops had proprietary power supplies. If that is the case, it may well be a bigger problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2018, 09:34 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Disregard the following which applies to a laptop, not a desktop.  I will leave the post, but an internal power supply is what is needed.

(01-25-2018, 11:08 PM)JoLyn Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 05:48 PM)Spy Car Wrote: A power supply--especially if used or generic--would not be a large expense. Worth being able to run Sleepyhead IMO, even if the PC were not much use for anything else.

I checked Amazon and the new ones are near $100. Do you know where I might check on a used one?

Thanks ... JL

With this information from your current adapter, you can buy a generic AC adapter that perfectly matches your computer.  For example, I can put this search into Google and find an adapter for less than $20:  "AC Adapter 19V 2.31A positive polarity".

Thanks a bunch for this info. I am not sure what I am going to do yet but you have given me a lot to work with! JL

Thank you Trish!! I am really glad to be here :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I am really messing up on the replies with quotes!! lol
Post Reply Post Reply
JoLyn, just for the heck of it, what was the model number on your Dell? I bet someone can point you to a power supply (without a link).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2018, 06:10 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: SpyCar....

Per your last paragraph, wouldn't it be the same difference whether you loaded your SD card onto a card reader and handed it over to a friend to stick in his/her computer OR loaded the data off your SD card onto your Chromebook and handed the Chromebook to a friend? The friend would still have to have SleepyHead installed on the PC? Or maybe I'm not getting this.

I agree that a generic power supply probably wouldn't be prohibitive. It would also make the PC available for word processing niceties and doing taxes....

What I'm wondering is if one were able to upload the raw files from the Chromebook, if they couldn't then be sent (via GoogleDrive, DropBox, attachment, etc) to a third person who was running Sleepyhead on his or her computer and would be willing to set up a separate user for this data?

If that is possible, it expands the options of help beyond locals.

I don't know that this would work, but seems possible.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea! wish I had thought of that.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2018, 11:08 PM)JoLyn Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 05:48 PM)Spy Car Wrote: A power supply--especially if used or generic--would not be a large expense. Worth being able to run Sleepyhead IMO, even if the PC were not much use for anything else.

I checked Amazon and the new ones are near $100. Do you know where I might check on a used one?

Thanks ... JL

Offhand, no. When you check, see if there are "generic" power supplies that match the same specs. Typically these are a small fraction of the cost of an OEM unit.

You might check with Fry's. Perhaps someone has another idea? 
Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2018, 11:14 AM)pholynyk Wrote: All this talk of recharging batteries and adapter polarity has me confused... In at least one post, JoLyn referred to it as a desktop computer, a Dell, and opening it up to look at the graphics card.
I believe JoLyn has a (dead) desktop Dell, a big square box with a built in (usually proprietary) power supply. I suspect it will be very difficult to find a replacement that fits.
SleepyHead will run on a Raspberry Pi 3, perhaps the lowest cost computer that will run SleepyHead. It requires a TV with HDMI input, a keyboard and mouse, and an SD card reader. I compile it myself, but it could be packaged as a deb file for easy installation, if there was enough interest.

I--perhaps wrongly--had the impression we were discussing an external power supply for a laptop. Sounds like a desktop Dell presents a greater level of difficulty.

Interesting that a Raspberry Pi 3 will run Sleepyhead. With a guru to help set it up, that would be a very low-cost solution.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  disappointed in airsense 11 after 12 years with S9 Rejackson 4 2,262 04-06-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Disappointed in my sleep Doc Sleepstarved 27 3,806 12-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Totally Disappointed bricki 23 4,060 06-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: bricki
  Disappointed with rising AHI SpeedyD 8 2,783 02-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Last Post: SpeedyD
  Disappointed with Doc, am I asking too much?? murf2499 19 7,262 02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Sleep87
  Disappointed with my new F&P Icon Premo non-auto Hanrahan 9 3,316 09-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Disappointed Clementine 34 9,012 07-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Last Post: robysue

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.