Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New and Disappointed
Sad 
New and Disappointed
Hi All ... I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea about 2 months ago. I underwent two 8 night studies. I failed the first one because there was not enough data. I was unable to get comfortable enough to sleep because of severe pain in my neck/shoulders and lower back/hips. I only slept for about 5 hours for the entire 8 days. The second study was not much better but I did have two nights with about 4 hours so my CPAP machine will be delivered soon. Maybe this week, I hope.

The reason for my disappointment is that my computer crashed recently. It was an 11-year-old Dell. My only computer now is a Chromebook and I cannot use Sleepyhead with it. There is no hope of my getting another computer for a long time due to my low fixed income. I feel that I will be missing out on a lot not being able to report my data using Sleepyhead. Any idea of how I can get the invaluable assistance from you all here without the software data?

When my machine comes I will add the model #, etc to my profile. I am excited to get the health benefit of sleeping better. I have been dealing with this for a long time without knowing it.

Best Wishes,

JoLyn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New and Disappointed
Here's a link for those starting out. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success

As far as not having sleepyhead you can still get help on the board here for helping you get setup right. You make sure you review the links included above. Two of them you want to read before getting your equipment. One is about getting the right machine the other is about getting the right mask.

You might be able to talk a friend into letting you download sleepyhead on their machine and using it from time to time. All you would need is an SD card and a card reader.

If you can't find anyone than see if you can use a computer at your local library.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good ideas Walla! The other thing you might be able to do is look on Craigslist for a used laptop. Used machines sell for pennies on the dollar compared to new. Also, a computer "crash" is not the end of the world. You can purchase a 250 GB hard drive and restore your machine to new condition. Another option is to purchase an external USB hard drive and configure your Laptop to boot from the external drive. It is not that hard to do. Either an internal laptop drive or external drive can be had for as little as $30. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, or have a friend to do it for you, you might call your local Best Buy and ask what they would charge to fix your laptop. The cost may be less than you think.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can't use Sleepyhead you might be able to use the ResScan software assuming you get a ResMed machine. It is not as detailed as SH but you will be able to see your results and post some graphs if you have issues. Go to the Private Files and Links area and look for the ResScan download thread. ResMed also has an on-line site called MyAir which provides basic but no detailed info, enough to show compliance and if you have leakage but not much else. Again, that will only apply if you have a ResMed machine.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
sonicboom, The problem is no computer.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Computer crash does not give enough information about what is wrong. Unless it crashed off your desk.
Is there someone that can look at it for free? Might be an easy fix. Don't pay to upgrade as Sleepyhead works on Windows XP.
If you buy a $15 dollar laptop at a thrift store, for safety of personal data don't connect it to the internet.
Post Reply Post Reply
The very FIRST thing to do.... before you worry about the laptop....make sure the doc prescribes EXACTLY the machine you want. If you go to the Wiki, you'll find info on which machines are optimum. Write down the EXACT name (many sound alike). Check the prescription, and check with the DME before you pick it up to make sure it's the right one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2018, 01:08 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: sonicboom, The problem is no computer.

OP said she had a Chromebook.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Walla! I have been reading on here for a month or so, learning quite a bit. I have read the links you posted. I will be getting a ResMed 10 machine. I am not sure of the details yet but will know more within about a week. 

A friend's computer or the library are my only options. My old Dell's power supply is what died and I don't know if I want to put more money into an 11-year-old desktop! The graphics card didn't look so good when I opened it up ... sort of corroded looking.

Thanks for the library idea!
Post Reply Post Reply
JoLyn, Anytime and Good luck.

sonicboom, Chromebook is web based. It can't download programs.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  disappointed in airsense 11 after 12 years with S9 Rejackson 4 2,209 04-06-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Disappointed in my sleep Doc Sleepstarved 27 3,748 12-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Totally Disappointed bricki 23 3,974 06-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: bricki
  Disappointed with rising AHI SpeedyD 8 2,769 02-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Last Post: SpeedyD
  Disappointed with Doc, am I asking too much?? murf2499 19 7,250 02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Sleep87
  Disappointed with my new F&P Icon Premo non-auto Hanrahan 9 3,303 09-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Disappointed Clementine 34 8,935 07-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Last Post: robysue

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.