Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

90 day update
RE: 90 day update
Good job on the graph.  The timeline begins in a hypopnea, that then has some normal looking breaths and trails off into what appears to be CA where we can see the FOT oscillation. What we can see from this snap shot is that your respiration is normal with longer expiration than inspiration. The inhales are everythin from where the line rises above zero, until it drops back to zero. Exhale is from the moment it drops below zero, and includes the zero flow along the horizontal zero flow line until a distinct inhale occurs again.  We can see some irregularities in the flow line, and this is throwing off the machine.

Notice at 03:37:55 how the mask pressure becomes jagged?  In fact, for every breath here, the mask pressure does not really settle in at EPAP bit wavers.   What ever is going on with that ragged exhale, it really confuses the machine.   With all the CA evens I see, and the rather poor tracking of the machine for IPAP/EPAP, I would just turn off EPR, but if you find it comfortable it's not hurting anything.  The point is, you don't really have an unusual I:E ratio, the machine just takes the first increase after exhale and labels that as start of inspiration.

[Image: ukyqCTR.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since we got into this discussion, let me add, there is nothing you can do about it. The machine gets confused because you have such a long zero-flow at the end of expiration. That may not be typical for you since it looks like hypopnea.  Here is my chart and as you can see, it is much easier for the machine to 'know' when inhale begins and ends.

[Image: XU12agGh.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. Thx sleeprider for all your help! I guess I'll just ditch the epr then as it can't help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't say if it helps or not, but it is not able to work as designed with the irregular breathing pattern in that brief screenshot. It might be different at other times of the night. I think it's fine to experiment with different EPR settings including off, but if you try something, stick with it a couple days so you can establish a baseline
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2017, 09:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: An interesting view is to zoom in to less than 2-minutes so you can see a high level of detail in the flow rate (be sure to right click on the right axis and add a dotted line for zero flow). On Resmed machines, include the mask pressure graph.  What we normally see in these inverse I:E ratios is an abrupt exhale followed by a blip then a period of null flow before the next inhale starts.  Normal respiration the exhale ends gradually and ends up near zero flow before inspiration.  My theory is that most of these individuals that record inverse I:E actually have normal I:E, it's the machine that gets messed up by the abrupt end to exhale and sometimes a brief pressure drop that it records as the start of inhale.  So this not only messes up the reported I:E ratio, but it means the machine is actually out of sync with that person by starting the inhale (IPAP) before exhale has ended.  

I noticed that visually speaking, my I:E is less than 1 with my ResMed devices (regardless of EPR) as well as my PR devices when C-Flex is off.  But with C-Flex on, I get an I:E that visually appears to be greater than 1.

Here are some examples.  This is my PR DreamStation with C-Flex off:

[Image: 39644300532_1042ddf1a3_h.jpg]

And this is with C-Flex 3:

[Image: 38777713795_7f5713cc4f_h.jpg]

Those examples are representative of a consistent finding in my flow rates with C-Flex off and on. I'm not cherry picking here.

It was suggested to me on another board that the bumps I'm seeing in early inspiration with C-Flex on are artifactual and that the true I:E is less than 1 regardless of C-Flex setting.  I think that is along the same lines as what you are suggesting.  But whatever it is, in my case SleepyHead isn't showing it as null flow being counted as inspiration.  Right or wrong, it is depicting that segment as positive flow.
-Amin
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that the influence of CFlex is causing the error. The tapering of flow during exhale, immediately prior to inspiration, is a classic feature of respiration and pretty much shows that the zero-line is improperly placed by the machine, causing a shortened expiratory time. I have no idea why this would happen, but more often than not, the error in the I:E ratio is with the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 428 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 287 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 632 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  [Equipment] Airsense Autoset 11 FW Update GrumGrum 0 464 10-16-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: GrumGrum
  AS11 AutoSet auto update Gideon 10 3,049 09-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  AirSense 11 OTA update Millstone50 12 3,586 09-01-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,278 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.