Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New and get machine Friday
New and get machine Friday
Hello, I was just diagnosed with moderate to severe osa two days ago.  I fo for my machine on Friday and would love some suggestions on what I should try ron ask for?  I also have narcolepsy and not sure if anyone on here has same issues? Currently on no meds for narcolepsy that will come after if I need them.  Any ideas are welcome and I thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New and get machine Friday
The main thing right now is to get a good Cpap machine that you can get data from. DO NOT accept a Phillips dreamstation 2. You can not get data from it.

You need a ResMed S10 autoset. The key word is autoset. There are other ResMed models that do not give data.

Again you want a ResMed S10 AUTOSET.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for there is also now a ResMed S11 autoset so either a s10 or 11 autoset. You
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roni.  Welcome to Apnea Board!!!
You came to the right place.

As staceyburke mentioned ResMed is preferred by many users here.
If you are going to a DME to get your machine, try different styles of masks.  Many of us go through several different styles, over time, until we find the one we really like.  You didn't mention if you were self paying or going through insurance which may determine how often you get to change masks.

Check to see if your machine comes with an SD card.  If not you will need to get one in order to get your data into OSCAR.  Any SD card 32GB or less will be fine.

Welcome to the madness........
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, and I am using insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
As for the SD cards, before I got my Resmed machine, I checked on their website and it said it comes with the SD card. When I got to the DME to get my new machine, I asked about the card and was told it does not come with one. I think they're removing them to use for their inventory. I reached to the new machine and flipped open the compartment and there was the Resmed SD card installed. DME's are there for profit, not for your health.
Post Reply Post Reply
Request the Resmed Autoset. Philips is in the midst of a recall that has really depleted the supply of Dreamstation 2 machines, and is not a recommended machine anyway because they encrypt the user data and it just isn't as good. Insist on Resmed, and if the DME you are going to won't dispense that brand, find another DME. In fact, you should not wait for your appointment to do this. Call and ask if your are being dispensed a Resmed Airsense Autoset. If not, make your request clear, and if they cannot meet that request, you are better off changing suppliers. Read our wiki on dealing with a DME http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...with_a_DME

A couple pointers. Some members have been dispensed used machines with as much as 5000 use hours. If you can plug the machine in and go to the clinical menu, you can scroll to the About menu and read the Run Hours. Here is how to do it https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly I have the Resmed Autoset 10 as a backup and it is truly amazing but I got it outside my insurance.  My insurance recognises the Philips Dreamstation 2 I was sent. Using that they pay for everything.   I have zero issues with it once I got used to it.  Don't be scared off by the Philips haters here. It is a perfectly good machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
This Phillips hater hates the fact that the DS2 data is encrypted ab as such unavailable for use in OSCAR (We are working on it but it will not be "Soon", whatever your definition of that word is.)
Post Reply Post Reply
More to the point, if a new member and CPAP user does not have access to detailed data, we can only guess at whether their setup is good or not, and cannot help with optimization. Instead, they have to rely on their doctor, which has proven time and time again to be a lot less effective. This forum is about enabling members to manage their therapy to make it as good as possible. Philips has adopted a policy that this is not good for their real customers, doctors and DMEs. Even if Oscar developers are able to crack the encryption, Philips is in a position to immediately change it and distribute the encryption update through their proprietary software to subscribing physicians and DMEs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,059 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,850 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,339 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,282 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,785 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  [Equipment] Black Friday APAP purchase? Apnea Infant 20 3,738 12-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] Which companies put cpap masks on sale for black friday cyber monday notsleep 6 2,893 11-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Last Post: notsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.