Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New and in need of help and support...
Smile 
New and in need of help and support...
Recently started CPAP for moderate OSA.  I was unable to do a titration study (long story) so they set my CPAP on auto from 5-15.   I started out with a nasal mask.  I believe it was the N20 .  Somehow I lost a piece so coudln't use it and I had an old mask ( I was diagnosed years ago but machine broke) which is also nasal mask, but has gel . It's a lot heavier and not as comfortable.  I decided to try the under the nose type, which is I believe is called dream mask  that I ordered online. . Most comfortable, but has leaked the most.  

I am not tolerating this CPAP as well as I did before when I used it.  Then I had the Res One and it was set at 7. This is the Dream station and autos from 5-15.  SInce I started, I feel like I have air in my stomach. I can't get to sleep and wake up wide awake, unable to go back to sleep, way too early. I have been having palpitations which I did not have before using the CPAP.  I did have vasomotor rhinitis, but I think I have managed to find the right humidity setting now.  I did download the sleepyhead software and loaded the info, but I have no idea what I am looking at or looking for. I do know based on what my cpap shows that the first nasal mask I used gave me the least amount of AHI's and the under the nose one gave me the most. My pressure seems to be all over the place each night.

I can't get in to see my sleep doc for another few weeks so I am not sure where to begin to address the issues I'm having.  Can someone help me sort out these issues? And help me understand the Sleepyhead software?  I just feel so lost and I'm so disappointed. From what so many told me I would feel great after using the CPAP, but I don't. I don't seem to fall asleep when sitting now, but I still feel tired, and I have these other issues.

Thanks for any help or insight you can give! Thanks

April
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New and in need of help and support...
Can you post some sleepyhead charts?
Post Reply Post Reply
For mask advice read mask primer on the link below. I recommend like above to download sleepyhead which is also on a link below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear you are not having a good time of it with your cpap.
However, let's see if we can help you on your journey through the cpap maze and get you sorted out.

You need to download Sleepyhead software and get some data, then upload it so the people on here can give you some advice and get you on a better pressure etc to give you the best treatment possible.

I would advise that you either find the bit you lost or get a replacement part for the mask that was giving you the best results, or just buy another and keep the old one as spares.

The main thing about cpap treatment is that you do not give up on it, I know it is easy to say it doesn't work, but for 9o+% of people it does, it might take a while for you to get used to it and it might take a while to get you are the right settings for you to begin to feel a bit more energetic.
However, if you stick with it and try everything that is suggested, I am quite sure that eventually you will get there and in no time you will think of your cpap machine as your best mate.

It might take a while, but the first thing to do is get some data and repair the mask that gave you the best results.
Then after you have some data, the regulars will give you some advice to get you onto the best pressures for your treatment.

All the info can be found on the site here, but if you look at Walla Walla's links below his post above you will get what you need to get going.

Welcome to the Apnea Board.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aplywi,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I want to encourage you to just stick with CPAP therapy. I know it can take some time to get used to, but it does get better over time. Hopefully, you find a mask that works well for you.
Good luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your welcome and your offer to help. I have attached some files from sleepyhead. I hope they are correct. I tried to do it best I can. My screen is really small so hard to get a screen shot.  ANyway, please look these over. I don't even know where to begin with them. I gave an assortment.  I still feel terrible. Beginning to wonder if my starting level is too low.

[attachment=4460][attachment=4461][attachment=4462]
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, I agree with you, that you are starting too low. I would have your min pressure on 9 or 10 and then review. It may need to go higher and be closer to the 95% pressure on a dreamstation.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'd start minimum at 8cm and see if that takes care of most of it. No point in going any higher. If it turns out you need it than you can always bump it up.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
First: Welcome aplywi,

I agree with the peanut gallery above, move the minimum from 5 up a bit higher. If you need to take it in stages, so be it. In that case, go to 6 for a few days to get used to it. Then up again to 7 and so on. Try it maybe for 2, 3 days with charts to track progress. And posting here as well so gurus can see it (that's not me BTW). Be assured you'll have your machine giving great Apnea therapy in no time at all.

Also was suggested, get the mask part to complete your preferred one.

Just be aware that it could take a few days or weeks before you actually start feeling better by apnea therapy. But it WILL happen.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your input! Now I have a question...am I allowed to change the settings? This CPAP is on rental now for 1- months before i own it. I know there is all this compliance stuff.  Do I change it or suggest it? I wish my appt with the sleep doctor was sooner. THey could not get me in.  Or do I go through the DME provider? I just don't want to mess anything up with the insurance or DME people.

THank you!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,445 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 663 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 458 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 716 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 311 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Pressure Support David Clark 23 1,764 01-08-2024, 04:01 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,152 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.