Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New and need a new pillow?
New and need a new pillow?
Hello all,  I'm new to CPAP therapy and new to this board.  

I've had my machine for a few weeks and I tried the nasal pillow at first.  It caused sores just inside my nostrils, so I switched to a nasal mask (Fisher & Paykel Eson) which I'm getting used to.  I'll have some nights where I sleep well with the mask & low pressure (5-8).  Other nights (like last night), I wake up to feeling choked by the high pressure (15) and my mouth falling open, waking me up.  After reading a few posts on here, it seems the tri-core cervical pillow that I use from my chiropractor may be part of the issue.  It seems to be the exact opposite of a CPAP pillow.  I'm considering purchasing a CPAP pillow, or maybe just a nice normal pillow and a soft cervical collar from my local drug store.  I noticed before CPAP therapy, I'd wake myself up snoring with my chin in my chest, that's why I'm thinking the collar with a normal pillow may be an inexpensive option.

Also, my insurance doesn't cover my equipment so I didn't purchase the Smartlink Module & Data Card that allows me to track data, so I'm unable to use the sleepyhead program unfortunately.  It looks like I'd have to buy that piece in order to insert an SD card to collect data, correct?

Any suggestions?  I know I'm really new still and it's going to take a bit to get used to.  Thanks for your help!

Stephanie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New and need a new pillow?
Here's some reviews of various pillows:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-My-Pillow
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-my-pillow
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ed-pillows
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum

Unless the pillow is pushing against your mask, it isn't the pillow. Perhaps it would interfere if it is causing you to bend your head too far forward and close off the airway.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  I tend to sleep on my stomach and my side.  Learning to stop sleeping on my stomach and trying to sleep on my back.  It's all quite an adjustment!  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeping on your back is often not a good idea either!  Many people have much worse symptoms on their back as gravity adds to the effects that we already suffer from.  Stomach sleeping should not be a problem if you can find a position that does not push the mask away from your face.  

Based on "I'd wake myself up snoring with my chin in my chest", I would start with the pillow that you have and an inexpensive soft cervical collar.  If that interferes with the pillow that you have, then look at a replacement.

Welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
I see that back sleeping isn't good, now that I've read more on this forum.  I struggle with the pillow pushing the mask to cause a leak, so then I was trying to sleep on my back.  I have a different pillow at home too.  I think I'll try that tonight.  Then try the collar.  Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are prone to chin tucking, try the collar anyway.  You may find that it improves the treatment greatly.  It did for me.

For the pillow, you need to sleep on the edge of it so that the mask is mostly not touching the pillow (is off in the air).  I side sleep with and Eson and it works just fine.  If you do decide that you need a new pillow, many of us find the buckwheat ones very suitable as they can be formed and hold the shape.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2017, 04:23 PM)stefni04 Wrote: I see that back sleeping isn't good, now that I've read more on this forum.  I struggle with the pillow pushing the mask to cause a leak, so then I was trying to sleep on my back.  I have a different pillow at home too.  I think I'll try that tonight.  Then try the collar.  Thanks for your help.

I sleep on my back consistently as that is the most comfortable position for me.  It also prevents me from dislodging the mask.  If your treatment is dialed in right you should not have to worry about too many events occurring.  My numbers are consistently below 1 the vast majority of the nights and I occasionally even get 0's.  You don't have to worry about sleeping on your back if it works for you. 

You do need to make sure you aren't using a deep soft pillow though.  Those do tend to make people tuck their chins and increase your chances of more events. Also, your pressure needs may need to be slightly higher than if you slept on your side or stomach, but it's not a big deal really.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok.  I see a lot of comments about the buckwheat pillow as I read through the forum.  I may try that with a collar.  Can't hurt to try it, right?  Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi neighbor, I use a pillow from the chiropractor, it has a square area on left and square area on right with a divet in middle for your head with neck support while on yoh back. I sllep mostly on my side hanging the mask off the edge. Maaybe i see yoh in lodi as i am there alot working. Lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Well hello neighbor! lol... i've ordered a buckwheat pillow (i'm overdue for a new pillow anyhow) and a collar. i'm determined to make this work.  Stay cool!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exploring Innovative Approaches to Pillow Packaging alexa2851 0 7 9 minutes ago
Last Post: alexa2851
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,725 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 235 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 433 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 331 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 383 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 646 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.