Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New around here, so hello from Australia
New around here, so hello from Australia
Hello from Melbourne Australia.

Glad I found this site as I have just started my CPAP journey.

I'm a big fella and my AHI was 83.7 and I was advised this was pretty bad Sad

Purchased a Resmed S9 with Humidifier and I have the Resmed Swift FX Nasal Pillows, but I have just ordered the P10's after reading the excellent reviews of these pillows.

Still feeling very tired during the day and I am managing to keep my pillows/headgear on for about 5-7 hours, after that I just get cranky and take it off but I know I must persevere.

AHI gets down to about 1.7 according to the Resmed S9, but I am struggling with getting used to this.

Although I just read up that I can use the EPR setting on my resmed and I will set this tonight to maximum comfort and I do find the exhale process rather whistley!!!

Anyway, thanks for this great site and I have a lot of reading to do and hopefully some sleep to catch up on Smile

Any tips on how to get to sleep masked up would be appreciated.

Cheers for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New around here, so hello from Australia
Hey Breathy, you're doing great.

1. Just make a promise to yourself that you will not sleep without the mask.

2. Modify that pressure range. To do that, you need Sleepyhead to tell you what your average pressures are during the night and lower the top, and raise the bottom towards that. A range of something like 8 to 14 would probably be a nice place to go. Then you can set the EPR on, but I wouldn't set it higher than 2 to begin with. Then watch the results and let us know what you're seeing.

3. When you get your P10's use the large size pillow. You're a big guy, so don't even mess with the others. Keep them to share with someone else.

Keep in touch, and welcome to the site!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2015, 10:40 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hey Breathy, you're doing great.

1. Just make a promise to yourself that you will not sleep without the mask.

2. Modify that pressure range. To do that, you need Sleepyhead to tell you what your average pressures are during the night and lower the top, and raise the bottom towards that. A range of something like 8 to 14 would probably be a nice place to go. Then you can set the EPR on, but I wouldn't set it higher than 2 to begin with. Then watch the results and let us know what you're seeing.

3. When you get your P10's use the large size pillow. You're a big guy, so don't even mess with the others. Keep them to share with someone else.

Keep in touch, and welcome to the site!

Thanks R_G I will download the Sleephead software tonight and start tracking the pressures and then begin, as suggested with EPR2 and see how I go.

Thanks again Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Breatheheart,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, just stick with it though.
To help your body get used to this new way of sleeping, mask up and use the machine as you read or watch tv during the evening and see if that helps you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2015, 10:52 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Breatheheart,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, just stick with it though.
To help your body get used to this new way of sleeping, mask up and use the machine as you read or watch tv during the evening and see if that helps you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
Thanks, much appreciated Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Breatheheart, I live in Melbourne too, one tip I find helpful is have the hose coming from above your head either over a bedhead or you can purchase or make a "Hose lift" rather than by your your side, this stops you getting tangled and helps with leaks as the mask is pulled up instead of down. The other thing is just stick with it the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages. Eveyone of those 83 times an hour you stop breathing you wake up either conciously or sub conciously and your blood goes from your extremities to your vital organs, your heart and brain, imagine the strain that puts on your whole body, good luck with it and keep asking questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2015, 11:45 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome Breatheheart, I live in Melbourne too, one tip I find helpful is have the hose coming from above your head either over a bedhead or you can purchase or make a "Hose lift" rather than by your your side, this stops you getting tangled and helps with leaks as the mask is pulled up instead of down. The other thing is just stick with it the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages. Eveyone of those 83 times an hour you stop breathing you wake up either conciously or sub conciously and your blood goes from your extremities to your vital organs, your heart and brain, imagine the strain that puts on your whole body, good luck with it and keep asking questions.

Thanks Tez62, I will look in to the Hose Lift attachment as this sounds like a nifty fix Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Breatheheart!

I, too, am a big fella and am new to the CPAP world. Nice to meet another newbie to share this strange journey with! I'm hoping my weight loss journey will reduce or eliminate dependence on a CPAP unit, but we will see. I've always snored (but I've always been big.) Even if it doesn't cure it, i'm looking forward to the other benefits that will provide.

Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 12:10 AM)TravitoDLM Wrote: Hi Breatheheart!

I, too, am a big fella and am new to the CPAP world. Nice to meet another newbie to share this strange journey with! I'm hoping my weight loss journey will reduce or eliminate dependence on a CPAP unit, but we will see. I've always snored (but I've always been big.) Even if it doesn't cure it, i'm looking forward to the other benefits that will provide.

Best of luck!
I'm hoping that when this extra energy kicks in it will give me the additional motivation to get back to the Gym Smile

If only the local supermarket sold cans of will power I would be laughing Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
It'll take a few months to get a full night's sleep without pulling off the mask, as well as feeling fully rested.

But then you'll find you have more energy than most of your friends because it's impossible for you to snore or not breath properly while sleeping.

Even the 5-7 hours you're now getting is at least 2-3 times what you used to get before.

The whistling thing should go when the mask wears in a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,851 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 190 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
Question [Equipment] AirSense 11 app not supported in Australia aussiemark22 17 4,010 08-04-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: yuqinhuang
  ResMed Airsense 10 pulsing in Australia using 240v - Normal use is 110v is US cornishpd 11 1,554 12-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: cornishpd
  Obtaining ASV in Sydney or NSW Australia due to Complex Apnea? AFAFAF 8 931 11-08-2021, 08:02 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Best PAP for UARS in Australia? lezz 13 1,599 03-12-2021, 03:30 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  [Equipment] Shopping in USA - Shipping to Australia Koalapoo 3 1,329 08-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Last Post: holden4th

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.