Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Have you had to switch to nightshifts to survive
This poll is closed.
Yes
25.00%
3 25.00%
No
75.00%
9 75.00%
Thought about it
0%
0 0%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

New career due to apnea
New career due to apnea
Has anyone here had to change their worhours to graveyard shift because they are to fstigued to make it to work in the morning? Im thinking about finding a graveyard shift for the first timd. And leaving my career. Ive been on cpap for 3 months. And still cant reliably wake up in the morning. I think its time to follow what my body is telling me. Insted of fighting it, to get my old life back. Becaue that is causing me depression and everything else. But i dont know what type of good jobs there arevat nigh.

Chaddy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New carreer due to apnea
The first qustion I would have is, are you sleeping through the night on CPAP? Or are you only getting through 1/2 the night before you take the mask off, or turn off the machine. How are your AHI Numbers?, what do the results of the Rescan results show how you are sleeping?
I think resorting to moving to a 3rd shift job is a bit drastic at this point, most have gone to that type of shift due to cost reasons or reasons other than sleep problems.
It took me months to become used to sleeping with the machine and mask, but after awhile I felt better with more energy and was able to awake in the morning with no problems at all.
Someone once asked me how I adjusted to CPAP so well--I thought for a moment and said I had two choices CPAP or DEATH..The choice was easy..
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2012, 07:55 AM)pk6301 Wrote: The first qustion I would have is, are you sleeping through the night on CPAP? Or are you only getting through 1/2 the night before you take the mask off, or turn off the machine. How are your AHI Numbers?, what do the results of the Rescan results show how you are sleeping?
I think resorting to moving to a 3rd shift job is a bit drastic at this point, most have gone to that type of shift due to cost reasons or reasons other than sleep problems.
It took me months to become used to sleeping with the machine and mask, but after awhile I felt better with more energy and was able to awake in the morning with no problems at all.

Well, i take a ambien to fall asleep. I usually have it on all night. But sometimes wake up to find the mask isnt on anymore. Or i may consiously take it off if its hurting my face. Ill also wake and find that ive had a bad leak rate many times. My AHI is around 12. I dont have the rescan software. Is that usefull?
How was your energy level prior to cpap therapy?

Thanks much!!
Chaddy
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the walking dead Too-funny

I have been on nightshift for over 10 years and wouldnt have it anyother way. I would advise that you think hard before you change over as its not just a change of shift but a change of lifestyle.

[Image: graveyard.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Back in the 1990s I worked 10pm-7 am shift for about 7 years.... I'm convinced it had all sorts of negative affects upon my health. That's what got me started on my coffee addiction. lots-o-coffee

Mankind was meant to sleep at night... and the urbanization of our society has changed this norm, resulting in a plethora of sleep issues.

My opinion, of course. Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The problem you're experienceing is not that you can't awaken refreshed in the morning, it's that you can't awaken refreshed when it's time for you to get ready for work. To prove this to yourself, just look at what happens on your days off. Do you awaken refreshed?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is my opinion that it is the ambien that is making you feel so bad. I suggest talking to your doc about an alternative sleep aid than this.

I'm not surprised at all that you are tired in the morning if you are taking that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would also like to jump on what others have said about nightshift and in a word "Not Normal" The reason I have been on it for so long is that I am also a carer for my family members (M.S. & Cerable Palsey. My Mrs and Daughter) I need to be round the house during the day, so you can imagine how bad my sleep patterns are. I couldnt tell my doctor the truth because of the problems it would cause my family. Again think very hard before going down this route, its a very big change to your lifestyle and can cause HAVOC.

No Sleep
You could end up on light therapy
Innsomnia
Noise
Exhaustion
Bad eating habbits
weight gain

The list goes on and on etc

Check with your doctor first before you do anything... Hope this helps

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2012, 04:23 AM)chaddy511 Wrote: Has anyone here had to change their worhours to graveyard shift because they are to fstigued to make it to work in the morning? Im thinking about finding a graveyard shift for the first timd. And leaving my career. Ive been on cpap for 3 months. And still cant reliably wake up in the morning. I think its time to follow what my body is telling me. Insted of fighting it, to get my old life back. Becaue that is causing me depression and everything else. But i dont know what type of good jobs there arevat nigh.

Chaddy.
simply put, switching shifts will in fact over time just switch your internal clock so getting up at 9 pm to go to a midnights shift will be no different thn getting up for a morning shift now. you'll still be working and sleeping and getting up.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
9PM British Time and Im off to work and on a Saturday night. No rest for the whicked :Wink:
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,399 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,894 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,529 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.