Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New challenge - Dry mouth / troath
Sad 
New challenge - Dry mouth / troath
Good news! : My AHI went down to 4.6 yesterday! yeyyy

Bad news: My troath and mouth are painfully dry in the mornings, even waking up and taking a small sip of water hurts.

Im using a full face mask with pressure 6-10 , Humidifier is set at 5.

I try to keep drinking water by my bed, but is waking me up.

I do breath trough my mouth, thats why i got a gull face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New challenge - Dry mouth / troath
trydrinking a sip of apple juice, the thick kind we find in italy not the transparent one during the night. i have found it to work better than peach, pear or apricot orange juice. try it plus i heat my tube and have a humudifier and a pile sleeve to keep it from condensing and freezing my nose. and last but nt least important i put some vitamin a and e ointment in my nose before going to bed. in 5 years of continud use i have never had any sinus infections os others and i use a phlips bipap respironics at 20 mm h20 max pressure because i'm big and have a hard chest. and fx quattro full face mask
try it out
ciao
gianfranco
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face mask and still fight dry mouth. I use a high humidity setting and a product called Biotene Dry Mouth mouthwash. There are some other dry mouth products. Orajel has one and there is a product called Xylimelts. I tried the Xylimelts and found their effect to last about as long as the Biotene but did not like the taste in my mouth when they wore off. I am going to try the Orajel.

Have never tried apple juice but that sounds interesting. Sugars tend to increase tissue moisturizing and apple juice is a good source.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 01:06 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I use a full face mask and still fight dry mouth. I use a high humidity setting and a product called Biotene Dry Mouth mouthwash. There are some other dry mouth products. Orajel has one and there is a product called Xylimelts. I tried the Xylimelts and found their effect to last about as long as the Biotene but did not like the taste in my mouth when they wore off. I am going to try the Orajel.

Have never tried apple juice but that sounds interesting. Sugars tend to increase tissue moisturizing and apple juice is a good source.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

[Image: NO%20SUGAR.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
As a newbie (both to CPAP & this forum) I also use a full mask and suffer the dry mouth issue however, for me, I feel that the dry mouth is a small price to pay for a complete nights' sleep!
I was using a nasal mask but that caused daily nose bleeds so I swapped to the full mask.

Sorry I can't offer any solutions - just thought I'd add my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
well for me the dry mouth/nose issue is really annoying so i have tried all the prescription artificial salivas for sjogren's sindrome or bucca sicca but they either have a bad flavour or don't work. so i use apple juice and ointment in my nose. for me it's the best solution found until now.
that's my personal experience but it's not a prescription. see your doctor for the same advice Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that adding a chin strap to my full face mask pretty well fixed the dry mouth. Humidity didn't help a bit in my case. Now I sleep in a warm room (25c.) and leave the humidifier off. With the chin strap my dry mouth problems are pretty much solved.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 37 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 380 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 808 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,166 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.