Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Where to set pressure after a month of use?
RE: Where to set pressure after a month of use?
(01-31-2016, 09:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm not that familiar with the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, but I thought that the machine display gives you the daily, 7-day and 30 day AHI and pressure statistics. Anyway, one of the prerequisites to changing machine settings is a basic understanding of why you are making a change. Until you get Sleepyhead or ResScan installed, and can discuss what is going on, you should not modify anything.

You can count on getting the forum help you need to use the software, post information, understand it, then make educated changes to your therapy. Hang in there.

Thanks. I've downloaded Sleepyhead, but haven't used it yet. Do you think Sleepyhead or ResCan is easier to use?

I've also signed up with a ResMed for something called "My Air". My machine transmits data wirelessly every morning to it. Do you feel that is adequate for data without using Sleepyhead or ResCan?

I wouldn't have any interest in changing any settings, but I'm burping a lot when I wake up so it makes me wonder if my pressure is a little too high.

I also changed my "exhalation pressure" (sorry, can't remember the acronym for that) to a 3, because I thought maybe if it's easier to exhale I would not open my mouth as much or swallow as much air. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi prodoula,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it adjusted to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 11:08 PM)prodoula Wrote: I've downloaded Sleepyhead, but haven't used it yet. Do you think Sleepyhead or ResScan is easier to use?

ResScan runs only on Windows. Runs on a Mac only if you run a Windows Emulation program like Parallels, and then you would need to import a Virtual Machine from a Windows computer and install ResScan on the Virtual Machine running Windows.

ResScan can run on any old, discarded-but-still-running Windows desktop or laptop that you could perhaps buy in a garage sale for $10. Needs to run on Win XP or later, but a new or fast machine is definitely not needed.

SleepyHead has a version which runs on a Mac.

Quote:I've also signed up with a ResMed for something called "My Air". My machine transmits data wirelessly every morning to it. Do you feel that is adequate for data without using Sleepyhead or ResCan?

No harm in checking out MyAir. On the other hand, I think you can get more info from your machine's LCD display than you can see using MyAir.

If you are having no problems other than leaks and mild air swallowing and just need a little encouragement, I think MyAir may be fine. But if you or your doctor are trying to solve problems, I think looking at the detailed data, which is available only from the SD card, is essential.

Quote:I wouldn't have any interest in changing any settings, but I'm burping a lot when I wake up so it makes me wonder if my pressure is a little too high.[quote]

If degree of air swallowing is not painful or troublesome, this is normal for CPAP users and, as far as I know, harmless.

[quote]I also changed my "exhalation pressure" (sorry, can't remember the acronym for that) to a 3, because I thought maybe if it's easier to exhale I would not open my mouth as much or swallow as much air. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, EPR of 3 should help reduce air swallowing.

Also, using the AutoSet For Her therapy mode (rather than the standard AutoSet therapy mode) may reduce air swallowing, because the For Her mode raises the pressure more gently/gradually. Your machine has the option to use either mode, as I suppose you know.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a wonderful Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead on this site that may be of help to you...
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2016, 11:02 PM)prodoula Wrote:
(01-31-2016, 08:12 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(01-31-2016, 02:58 PM)prodoula Wrote: I'm new to wearing a cpap. I have an AirsSense 10 for her. I read somewhere that after about a month of use, it's wise to change your pressure settings based on your average pressure usage. But I can't seem to find the exact specifics of the recommendation. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

It depends on so many factors that specifics are hard to state. Do you feel like you're getting at least some good quality sleep? Does the CPAP machine cause any discomfort from things like the swallowing of air?

The first statistic you want to look at is compliance. Are you using the machine all the time, every time you sleep. Next is leaks: look at your leak statistics and your leak graph. Then finally look at your AHI and see if it's under 5 on a regular basis.

After that you can look at your pressure statistics and think about pressure adjustments. Look at the median pressure and 95th percentile pressure.

You can post all of that here without doing any screen shots.

Also, just slide the switch to lock the SD card before putting it in your computer, then unlock it before putting it back in your CPAP machine.

Yes, I'm using my machine every night, with no leaks as far as I can tell, and yes, my AHI is under 5 so far.

My 2 problems are burping a lot when I wake up, and I've woken up a couple of times with my mouth open. My tongue felt like beef jerky! I'm trying a chin strap tonight so hopefully that will solve the mouth opening.

Thanks for the tip on the SD card!

Well, I think your doing things right, the EPR to 3 was very helpful for me.
One thing that takes a little time, is for your body to learn is how to breath though it's nose only, practice keeping your tongue to the roof of your mouth even during the day in your wake time this will help you in keeping your mouth closed at night.
The other thing that really helped me when I started was to not use the ramp , my therapy was prescribe 9 - 15 but yet using the ramp starting at 4 just was not right, so I shut off the ramp and had my pressure start at my lowest setting of 9 then I could just get my mask tightness set just right (No leaks)from the start of my sleep, found a lot less time fiddling with that mask, then I could just roll over and sleep.
After doing that I found it to be more restful, and I looked forward to going to sleep, were as before I found it to very difficult , waking more as the pressure would increase then the mask would leak because I didn't have it set right for the higher pressures.
The bottom line is not only are you working with the equipment but your also working with your body on how to deal with this new way of breathing at night, It can take awhile but always remember there are a lot of helpful folks on this board and don't be afraid listen to their Ideas, what works for one doesn't always work for another.
Hang in there!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 146 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,022 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 604 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.