Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New chick. Need help figuring out RX and max pressure.
New chick. Need help figuring out RX and max pressure.
Hi everyone, my sleep study said I have AHI of 28. Doc wrote a cpap prescription of 13cm of H2O. Is that the same as 13 max pressure on my machine?

I don't have insurance so I purchased my machine online. They said it's auto adjusting and doesn't need to be set. I got into the clinician settings and saw that the max pressure was at 20. 

Thanks!
notjomama- cuz I'm not your mother.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New chick. Need help figuring out RX and max pressure.
For a script of 13, I would set 10min 15max, that should be pretty close. You may also like to use an epr of 2 for a softer breathing out. See how that goes. Make sure your machine has a sd card in it and download the manual and sleepyhead from the top of the page links. then post some charts for the forum to advise the fine tuning.

you may find using the cpap while you watch TV is a good way to get use to it, without the stress of trying to go to sleep.

mask fit is important, bonjour in his signature, has a good article link
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
@ notjomam, Your machine probably came in "Magpie mode" 4 and 20. 4 min and 20 max.
The most important thing is to get that min pressure near the prescribed pressure.
Ajack's advice is good. He suggests bracketing the min-max within a couple of cm of the Rx pressure.

Welcome
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
notjomama,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

I agree with the above on pressure settings. Some machines are being sold without SD cards, so be sure to get one.  

Give yourself plenty of time to get used to the machine and the feel of the mask.

When you are ready, download #SleepyHead software and start tracking your therapy.
Follow the tutorials in my signature line to learn how to upload data here should you need advice.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
You have a good machine. Your data, your charts are what let us see what is really happening. So as suggested post your charts.

That said you now have the links in my signature. I do suggest you read both of them.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is an Auto and most likely set in auto mode, it can be set in CPAP mode to your exact prescription, not what I would do but you could do it. The quick instructions for changing the settings can be found HERE. You set the therapy mode to CPAP and the pressure to 13. The 10 to 15 that was recommended gives your machine a little room to work in the auto mode. No more matter what you choose, get a standard SD card in your machine and install SleepyHead post haste as it will show you what is happening with your therapy. If you don't have one a clinician's manual can be requested by email HERE.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi notjomama,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You got a good machine.
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your help!  I've downloaded the sleepyhead software and imported my data.  I have to "talk" more on here so that I can post my reports. 

I ended up taking my mask off and turning off the machine last night. The last 3 nights the insides of my nose have swelled up (I looked in the mirror) and I couldn't get enough air in.  I did turn up the humidity last night. It helped a little, but my nose was still swollen.  I'm hoping it may be from the "lube" I'm using inside my nose (Lansinoh) to prevent more nosebleeds.  Saline spray doesn't do much except make my nose wet.  I've only used nasal pillows. Maybe I need to try a different mask. Dont-know 

notjo
Post Reply Post Reply
To "post" just add a space to the IMGUR uri "http: //imgurxxxxxx.png" It's our secret way of allowing newbies to post data only.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are getting nosebleeds, you did right to take it off auto and adjust it. I set mine to 4 and adjusted from there. Turning the heat on in the hose also helps maintain the humidity. I find that I can only use the auto-humidity in the winter.

Also, while you are getting used to the machine, you could have your lower setting set to say 8 or 9 instead of 10 until you get the nosebleeds under control. When I started, I couldn't STAND the 9 setting but 8 was good. After a month, I raised my minimum to 9 and all has been good ever since.

There is a small possibility that if your nose is swelling up, you could be reacting badly to the silicone in your nasal pillows. I'm hoping not, but if that is the case, you might have to switch to a nasal or face type mask instead of pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 342 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Need help optimizing and figuring out data variability please fert 8 543 01-21-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: fert
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,101 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 1,008 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
Wink Need help figuring out why severe sleep fragmentation from 3-7 am even on autopap HMG7450 2 574 08-14-2023, 04:38 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 675 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,599 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.