Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New computer - back to building OSCAR
RE: New computer - back to building OSCAR
Couldn't believe how much stuff I needed to install to get this to work.  But it does work now!  Gnome sure does make it painful to just add an icon to one's desktop.
Had to install gdebi, which also install a ton of files.  The icon does get installed to the desktop.  But double-clicking opens the file in the text editor.  Right clicking will bring up a menu which now has a line to enable launching.  Once enabled, the OSCAR symbol is 35% obscured with a violet circle and an arrow.  Finally one can launch OSCAR.  Don't know if there is a way to fix this, but all I can see is OS and not CAR.

The procedure is a bit long, but it does work.  Thanks for your help!  

Oh, the version I cloned from git still has the font type and size printed out on top of the AHI.  Not a problem for me, as I commented it out in daily.cpp, as per the instructions given in my OSCAR for RPI4 thread.  Just a heads up that those two lines are still there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why you have to do all these difficult things.
Normally, even on the test version, you just have to install the deb file with the terminal and apt install command. The launch is just a double-clic on the icon.
You just have to replace oscar by oscar-test.
I cannot test with the same configuration but can you send me the result of :
lsb_release -cdir
echo "${XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP}"
I'll will test on a virtual machine.
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe some of the problem is I'm starting with a brand new machine and some of these things have never been installed.  I didn't do a full restore, just my /home directory.  I think I was running 20.04 on my old laptop.  This is 20.04.1.  

Some of the Gnome stuff is not an improvement.  The developers are dumbing things down and removing options.  This in my opinion is not helpful as it destroys the value of the old documentation.  And guess what - there's no new documentation on how to work around the changes.  Kind of an arrogant approach to development.  In my opinion the developers are removing the very options that makes Linux usable.  They are making it harder to develop and run your own code on the platform.  Oh well, that's off-topic.  Sorry.

Here is what you asked for:
Code:
$ lsb_release -cdir
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release:    20.04
Codename:    focal
$ echo "${XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP}"
ubuntu:GNOME
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 236 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Exclaimation Import CSV from computer KK7X 2 546 10-29-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: KK7X
  Coexistence of software versions on the same pc computer Dzidzia 2 557 07-31-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Dzidzia
Question MADE USER NAME CHANGE TO MY COMPUTER: NEED HELP WITH OSCAR ERROR MESSAGE Plmnb 8 902 04-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  How to get my data back RainbowFish 4 699 02-19-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Running 2 Oscar on same computer DanEm 8 722 01-20-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: DanEm
  New Computer Graphics Problem txrpls 9 821 10-01-2022, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.