Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New, confused, frustrated....
New, confused, frustrated....
I had a 2 night sleep study a few months back - at a doc's office that does them - not a sleep center, nor a take-home.  Miserable night, hard bed, my pillow didn't work there, etc etc.  Results were "severe" - 39!  Second night tech tried several different masks - pressure of 13 - ripped them all off.  She settled on nose/mouth coverage mask.

Went to local DME they rec - took them weeks to get me in, then rushed me through the fitting (tech w dirty fingers. gross...)  Dream station.  Only 4 types of masks available there.  I tried the Whisperwear I think it is - band under nose/over ears but couldn't stand the "whooshing" sound near ears.  They do one exchange, so now have the nasal mask.  Why not the nose/mouth?  Not sure, just seemed so claustrophobic.  

Tried the machine w their settings - at 13 - couldn't bear it.  Never want to deal w that doc nor that DME ever again....

Fast forward a few months - found this page and a FB page  both saying ok to try changing my own pressure.  I lowered it to 7, w ramp starting at 4 and lasting 25 minutes, but am taking it off every single night while asleep.  Kinda crazy really that I am unaware.

Last night did more reading and see there are more settings.  I am so overwhelmed, and so exhausted.  Not sure what else to adjust?  Someone on FB page said I take it off bc the pressure is too low and I feel like I'm suffocating.  (weird, since that's how I felt at 13.)  Current settings:  
Ramp 4
Ramp time 25 (should I lower that)
FLEX 2 (not even sure what that is...)
humidification - heated tube
Mask type - off (but I see I should look on the mask package for a number)
Tube type - 15-H

What are the little "fan" like drawings - with on/off options?  and should they be on or off?  (this is under "device")

Should "preheat" be on or off?

I have no idea about cards, feel too overwhelmed to download/figure anything out.  

Am going to try to get into a new doc and hopefully use Apria if I need a company.

Thanks for "listening" - appreciate any advice w small words..... my brain is just not working very well.  (We just moved halfway across country after 35 yrs a few months ago - in addition to CPAP issue my new doc changed thyroid and hormones - I am one serious mess with everything out of whack....)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New, confused, frustrated....
I would download the manual and sleepyhead from the bar at the top of the page.
If you were titrated at 13, 7 wouldn't be treating your sleep apnea properly. You will still be feeling not good.
You will get use to the pressure, promise.
When I was starting, it was the leaks that woke me the most.
To keep the mask on during the night, some use a chin band, it gives another layer to navigate, which is harder when you are asleep.

Ramp 4..
most find 5-6 stops that claustrophobic, short of breath feeling.

Ramp time 25 (should I lower that),
the ramp is used for the time it takes you to go to sleep. In the end most people don't use it.

FLEX 2 (not even sure what that is...)
that gives a lower pressure on exhale and some find it feels more comfortable.

humidification - heated tube
stops condensation in tube

Mask type - off (but I see I should look on the mask package for a number)
another respironics user will need to tell you about the settings and it will be in the clinical manual from the link above.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Welcome to ApneaBoard.

We have a nice community of people on the forum who will help and encourage you.

It's difficult for most people to adjust to using a strange contraption attached to their face.
It's also difficult to manage getting set up for best therapy when one is sleep deprived.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.  Having the issues you are having is VERY common.
I would like you to watch TV or read a book or do some other enjoyable activity every night with your CPAP on and under pressure for about an hour.  This is to help you get used to the CPAP and the pressure.  

4 cm H2O is a problematic pressure for almost everyone, I'll suggest starting your ramp at 6 cm and limiting it to 10 minutes for now.  

Since the DME set your pressure to 13 we want to get you back there, but we can take it in stages if need be.
Please, since you have been using your CPAP, try 13 cm for an hour while reading/watching TV as above.  If that feels ok leave it there overnight and let us know how it went.  If not reduce th pressure to 7 and we can increase it .5 cm every other night, nice and gradual.

To be clear on what DreamStation you have read the number on the bottom (empty/remove the humidifier first), it should be something like DSX400x11.
If your model supports data I'll ask you to load SleepyHead on your computer and post your daily charts.  That will tell us exactly what is going on, down to a breath by breath view if needed.

Remember we are all here for you.

see, more help before I finished typing

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - really appreciate your replies!  Will change the 4 to 6.  Not sure I can manage the 13, but will try using it while awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

You can manage the 13.  In real terms, that is just not that much pressure.  What you are experiencing is a normal reaction to strange sensations.  I think I started out at around 7 or 8 and I found it challenging for the first few nights.  Now I am at 15 and don't notice it at all.  Seriously.  I tend to lie in bed in the mornings enjoying the warmth and quiet.  I leave the mask on as I find it so comfortable.  You can and will get there too, just give it time.  Relax.  Breathe.  Think about something else.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I want to see. If you can't handle it now we can work on it. First while you are awake.

Did you get the model number of your DreamStation?
Post Reply Post Reply
Fellow Dreamstation user. As far as the mask type goes. You will have a choice between X1,X2,X3,X4,X5 should say on front of package your mask came in. This number tells the machine how much "built in" leak there is for your mask. So the machine can compute your mask fit. This is only for Phillips Respironics masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks... let's hope!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

(((((hugs))))))

I agree with the others' advice. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 807 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 290 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 356 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,084 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 715 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,361 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 525 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.