Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New, confused, frustrated....
RE: New, confused, frustrated....
Hi pollyottis,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know this is overwhelming to you right now but just stick with CPAP therapy, it take some getting used to.
Over time, it gets better.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
About your hose. If it plugs in to the top of the dream station, it is heated. if the hose just slips onto the top. It is not heated.
And welcome to the board!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Poly, about the fan symbols under Device settings.

I have to backup a little from the fan.
In Device settings ,Look up top you will see an upward facing arrow, next to it you see a circle. One circle tells us there is only one sub menu.

The first item is AHI, options are ON or OFF. "ON" the AHI, Mask fit avg. and Periodic breathing are displayed under "my info". It is handy to check those things without Dream Mapper or Sleepyhead.

The next item to the right is the fan symbol. The symbol is just another way of saying flow generator or the machine. "A" for automatic. When ON the machine turns on when you put the mask on automatically after a few breaths.

The next item to the right is the fan symbol with a strike through it. A for Auto.
When ON is selected the machine will shut down when breathing is not detected. In other words when the mask is removed.
Some possible issues with this setting, some people may hold their breath or some event may occur while sleeping, the machine may unintentionally shut down.

The rest of the items are Language, default reminders and reset data.

Look around on the site for the Clinician setup or Provider guide. Lots to learn but relax. You will succeed.

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for being so kind Smile  was feeling a little panicky yesterday, but your help is so, well, helpful!

I raised 4 to 6; reduced to 20 min (didn't feel ready for fewer minutes yet...); went from 7 to 8.5 pressure.  I have been using the Wisp nasal mask, but w the hose over the head.  Decided last night to leave hose downward instead.  

I felt pretty comfortable while reading, even fell asleep.  At 2.9 hrs (according to machine) I took it off.  Unlike most other times when I'm completely unaware, I was aware but only just....back to sleep.  My mouth was so, so dry though, wonder if that woke me to take mask off?  

My husband did say that he could hear leaking when he came to bed, but did not want to disturb me....

Machine # is DSX200T11

If any of the above speaks to you - esp the dry mouth/is that why I took it off - please let me know.  I'll try again tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
that is a fixed pressure cpap, if it's not too late, you could ask your doctor to swap it over to an auto, the insurance doesn't care either way.

to keep the mask on, some use a chin strap that goes over the head. It gives another layer to navigate.

first is to sort out your leaks, that's what caused the dry mouth.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

youtube also has mask fitting cpap videos
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2017, 06:45 PM)pollyottis Wrote: Machine # is DSX200T11

If at all possible see if you can get another machine.  This machine does NOT record detailed data.  It is this data that allows us to see, on a breath by breath basis if necessary, exactly what is happening to your therapy.

We will without question continue to work with you no matter what, with or without a full data capable machine.
Please revise your profile to show your machine type as "DreamStation CPAP DSX200T11"

Good full data

A Brick  your machine

Current Machines to Avoid

• ResMed AirStart™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (all models, 37201) (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP (DSX200x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Lack of full data capability)

Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)
Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
last night mask was dislodged and blew in my eye for too long... am going to look into the other dream station.  reading how much so many of you guys know - it's worrisome that millions have these machines and have no idea all the options/nuances....

i'll just keep trying!
Post Reply Post Reply
Woo hoo!  7.4 hrs folks!  quick trip to pee after 4 - but then back on.  I did wake up w mouth dry (open?) so will work on that more/again - but the fact I didn't rip it off is very encouraging.  Wish I could tell you I feel like a completely new person - not yet.  Thanks for support and encouragement!
Post Reply Post Reply
awesome. if you can get into the machine's status/info screens, see if it tells you the AHI for the last 1 day, 7 days, 30 days - that is normal info available, and will be some help to us.

you may have read something about it by now, but with a nasal mask, there are ways to practice keeping the mouth closed during the night. One is the tongue suck method.

if you do want to try a full face mask, just tell them you need one when you go back and demand a new dreamstation that is data capable and auto-adjusting, or one of the great ResMed APAP machines.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will NEVER go back to this DME.  Horrible place.  When it took them forever to get me in - I told the neuro who ordered the CPAP to switch my order to Apria.  They refused.  "it's a lot of work."  Think there may be some sort of kickback happening....(That neuro also did not get preauthorization for my 2 night sleep study - I was too out of it to ask - assumed them had.)

Seeing my regular doc on Monday - she has said she'll manage this (I hope).  It was actually she who told me I could go online to learn how to switch the pressure!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused and frustrated - question about F&P Evora NewlyDiagnosed 11 223 04-10-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [CPAP] New to cpap, lost and confused Sophia 4 116 04-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 995 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 328 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 397 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,140 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 775 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.