Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New, confused, frustrated....
RE: New, confused, frustrated....
If you are stuck with this one, you can still adjust it for the best treatment pressure. As has been said, the machine will give basic data. We can work with this data.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Trying again.... have been taping instead of CPAP, but pulse ox testing shows not very good results... so trying again...

If my machine is a "brick" - a fixed pressure CPAP, I'm confused about the recs below bc it looks like some of them are also fixed?  

Quote:Machine # is DSX200T11

If at all possible see if you can get another machine.  This machine does NOT record detailed data.  It is this data that allows us to see, on a breath by breath basis if necessary, exactly what is happening to your therapy.

We will without question continue to work with you no matter what, with or without a full data capable machine.
Please revise your profile to show your machine type as "DreamStation CPAP DSX200T11"

[/url][url=http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:20161229Sample_full_data_Chart.PNG]Good full data

A Brick  your machine

Current Machines to Avoid

• ResMed AirStart™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (all models, 37201) (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP (DSX200x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Lack of full data capability)
Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)
Post Reply Post Reply
The difference between a "brick" and an "acceptable" fixed CPAP machine is that the bricks only keep track of how many hours you use your machine and some very basic overall statistics for each night, whereas the better fixed CPAP machines store enough data to allow us to recreate and chart the airflow and pressure right down to the breath by breath. The machines also flag each individual event, so that we know what we are dealing with. This allows us to make guided decisions to optimise our therapy to get better sleep.

Most insurance companies will reimburse you the same amount for a brick as for a full data machine, so you might as well insist on the full data machine, even for 'fixed' CPAP machines.

All of the APAP machines record this extended data, which we call 'efficacy data'.
Post Reply Post Reply
ya, sadly I would have to pay $800-900 to reimburse the DME for "rental" months, or just purchase another machine for prob the same amount.  I've not been using it all and have been taping, but pulse oximetry my dentist had me do shows desats and corresponding heart rate increases so need to get my _____ together.  Am guessing I better decide I'm important!

Thanks so much for your reply!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pollyottis,

If you can, take the report of desats and increased heart rate to your primary care doctor. If they want you to be better treated they can send an order to your insurance that they want you switched to an auto cpap to better monitor your treatment. I got stuck with a brick for five years when I started. That DME/Sleep center is now out of business. I think they were a shady operation, and I myself put in one complaint to my insurance about the treatment I received at one particular follow-up appointment. But that's another story.

I was just switched from auto cpap to Bipap, but it would not have happened unless I requested it because I am unable to exhale against the pressure of 20 cm H2O pressure that my machine goes up to trying to control my apneas and hypopneas even with EPR set to 3. PAP therapy is not an easy road to travel for most of us but with the help of the people in these forums we can educate ourselves and others. With education we can become more comfortable advocating for what we need and deserve. After all it IS our health we are dealing with here, so hang in there and don't give up.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2017, 07:34 PM)bonjour Wrote:
(07-09-2017, 06:45 PM)pollyottis Wrote: Machine # is DSX200T11

Done fighting w my insurance company and am going to purchase.  Are the following still the best choices?  And is Supplier #1 the best website to order from? thanks!  

Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)
  • ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)
Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
ALSO - possible to get a good machine used?  They are so expensive out of pocket....
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2018, 02:30 PM)pollyottis Wrote: ALSO - possible to get a good machine used?  They are so expensive out of pocket....

The Res-Med AirSense 10 AutoSet with HumidAir 37207 is $565 on Amazon from Sistemma. This is a known good vendor selling new machines.

The Brand new DreamStation DSX500T11 AutoPAP is currently on Amazon for $429.99 with free shipping from vendor Better Living.

If you find that listing, you can also find the same unit "Used-Like New" for $315.85 plus $6.95 shipping from a vendor called Stardogs1974. No information on this vendor, but it has Amazon A-Z purchase protection. Click on the link for "other sellers" to see that one.

For $495, you can get a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset at the CPAP Store 206-965-9995. Machines are complete with humidifier, tube, travel case and 2-year warranty. You should use a credit card or PayPal so you have purchase protection. Units ship from the state of Washington and are widely advertised on Craigslist. So far no problems reported.

Check your local Craigslist, but be sure you know exactly what models you want. I have purchased good units, and as an example, there is a Dreamstation Auto 500 CPAP advertised in Pittsburgh / Altoona now for $300.

That should give you an ideal of the range in the market of what you would pay out of pocket. Can't post links on the forum, but you should be able to find them or call using the above information.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider has excellent advice for shopping online.

Your current machine will make a good backup machine. We will, with a little work, be able to recommend a fixed pressure CPAP backup settings for you. This is for use IF any issues happen to your primary machine. That is to say IF your primary dies (whatever reason) the backup will get you thru until you are able to fix/replace the primary.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 718 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,364 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 526 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.