Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New & confused
New & confused
Hello, I am new to this forum, but started CPAP therapy in 1997. Recently purchased a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto w/humidity; 2 nights in, so far so good. My previous machine was a PR System One REMStar 60 BiPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex; same pressures. 

ResMed machine is set to VAuto, 12/08 PS 4. My question is, does the ResMed machine vary my pressures like the PR? As I am new to this brand, I am confused on the terminology; i.e. differences between Bi-Flex vs. VAuto?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New & confused
Here is ResMed's description: "The AirCurve 10 VAuto is an auto-adjusting bilevel machine that uses the comfort of both the AutoSet™ algorithm and Easy-Breathe waveform in its VAuto algorithm to treat obstructive sleep apnea patients who can benefit from greater pressure support.

The AirCurve 10 VAuto adjusts the baseline pressure to hold the airway open while maintaining a fixed pressure support."
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 12:44 PM)Melman Wrote: Here is ResMed's description: "The AirCurve 10 VAuto adjusts the baseline pressure to hold the airway open while maintaining a fixed pressure support."

Sooo,  it keeps the programmed SET pressures of 12/08, in VAuto, and will adjust Up/Down, depending on the events/positioning/etc? Thinking-about

Or maybe I’m not understanding the difference between Baseline Pressure, and Fixed Pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
It keeps the programmed pressure support of 4 but varies the max/min pressure as required.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 12:56 PM)Melman Wrote: It keeps the programmed pressure support of 4 but varies the max/min pressure as required.

OK, bear with me. I have OPS Grin

Programmed Pressure Support is the difference between IPAP & EPAP?

Machine is programmed for 12/08 but can, depending on need, cycle anywhere from 08/04 to 12/08?

Thank you for your patience!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 01:02 PM)hamiltonrrwatch Wrote: OK, bear with me. I have OPS Grin

Programmed Pressure Support is the difference between IPAP & EPAP?  Yes

Machine is programmed for 12/08 but can, depending on need, cycle anywhere from 08/04 to 12/08? I don't use that machine so someone else may need to answer your question. I suspect the range over which the pressures cycle is a setting. I suggest you use the tab at the top of the page to get a clinical manual for your machine.

Thank you for your patience!
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest you use the tab at the top of the page to get a clinical manual for your machine.”

Thank you. I did that prior to posting on this forum. I am not a Respiratory Technician or Polysomnographic Technologist. I am a patient who was curious about how my former machine and this new device process and treat my OSA. I will, henceforth, look for these answers elsewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 10:02 AM)hamiltonrrwatch Wrote: Hello, I am new to this forum, but started CPAP therapy in 1997. Recently purchased a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto w/humidity; 2 nights in, so far so good. My previous machine was a PR System One REMStar 60 BiPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex; same pressures. 

ResMed machine is set to VAuto, 12/08 PS 4. My question is, does the ResMed machine vary my pressures like the PR? As I am new to this brand, I am confused on the terminology; i.e. differences between Bi-Flex vs. VAuto?
I read that as 
Mode VAuto
Min EPAP = 8
Max IPAP = 12
PS = 4
This is effectively the same as fixed BiLevel "S" mode or spontaneous therapy.  The VAuto will vary pressures as needed but it must be given room to do so.  Such as 

Mode VAuto
Min EPAP = 8
Max IPAP = 20  The higher value allowed for IPAP allows for the machine's algorithms to modify pressures
PS = 4

PR allows for a variable PS which the VAuto does not.

VAuto is moth a machine model and the auto mode in the machine.
BiFlex is similar to Easybreath smoothing out the breathing pattern.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 12:52 PM)hamiltonrrwatch Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 12:44 PM)Melman Wrote: Here is ResMed's description: "The AirCurve 10 VAuto adjusts the baseline pressure to hold the airway open while maintaining a fixed pressure support."

Sooo,  it keeps the programmed SET pressures of 12/08, in VAuto, and will adjust Up/Down, depending on the events/positioning/etc? Thinking-about

Or maybe I’m not understanding the difference between Baseline Pressure, and Fixed Pressure?
Baseline pressure is your EPAP/Exhale pressure, Fixed Pressure would apply to "S" or spontaneous Mode but "Fixed Pressure Support" as used in your quoted text (I added bold) means simply that the pressure support, the difference between EPAP/IPAP/Inhale/Exhale pressures is fixed, in this case to 4 (It can be manually altered.   Inhale pressure will always be 4 over the Exhale pressure but never over the Max IPAP pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Fred for not quoting the manual Grin Your explanation was very clear.

I’ve been on this road 20+ years and discovered early on, that education is empowerment. Forums such as this, have given us so many options, in spite of Drs, therapists and insurance companies trying to turn OSA treatment into a private club.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 717 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 526 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 466 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  A little confused. David Clark 12 909 06-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.