Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New cpap user and sleepyhead software question
New cpap user and sleepyhead software question
Quote:
ADMIN NOTE:
This thread is now closed. If you have a question regarding the SleepyHead software package, please go HERE.

To download the SleepyHead software, go here:
http://www.SleepFiles.com/SH/

I wore my cpap for the first time tonight and then loaded my data into sleepyhead this morning.. I noticed a gap in the data for about 4 minutes and wondering if anyone can tell me what happened?? I did not take the mask off nor did the machine turn off... the smartstop doesn't seem to work for me ever.. I've tried restarting the machine, changing the setting to off then back on, but to no avail.. it will smartstart but won't stop when I take the mask off so I doubt it thought I took the mask off for 4 minutes. I use the swift fx nasal pillows with my resmed s9 elite at a pressure of 8. I attached the picture of the screenshot of those 4 minutes to this post. Thanks! and please tell me it gets easier to use.. I had a hard time falling asleep and I have a sore in my right nare from my first night at the lab.. I think they had the mask on too tight, I wore it looser last night and it felt better.. Becky
RE: New cpap user and sleepyhead software question
Hi becky_us,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yes it does get better as you use the machine and mask but it can take some time to get used to it all.
If you continue to have irritation from your pillows, you might try some HPA Lanolin. Put a "LITTLE" bit on a Q-tip and swav the inside of your nostriles with it.
Hang in there for answers to your question and the interpretation of your graph.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Thanks!! When i looked closer at the graph it looks like when it restarted it went back to the 45 min of ramp set up... Soooo it did shut off but the question is why?? What causes it to shut off for 3 min like that? Can you tell from the graph what shut it off? I have tried at least 10 times to get it to auto shutoff with the smartstart system and the only time it has worked is when i removed the humidity canister from the humidity chamber, otherwise the mask just stays on blowing full force.. i know it will run for awhile to cool the humidity chamber but this showed cont rate of 8 and didnt even show any warning of leak or anything when i take the mask off. So i doubt it autoshutoff last night and i know i didnt touch it, the machine isnt close enough to me to just reach it without getting out of bed.. I have no pets and no one else would have touched it. I cant imagine i stopped breathing for 3-4 minutes either or i wouldnt be here now!
(09-11-2013, 07:12 PM)becky_us Wrote: Thanks!! When i looked closer at the graph it looks like when it restarted it went back to the 45 min of ramp set up... Soooo it did shut off but the question is why?? What causes it to shut off for 3 min like that? Can you tell from the graph what shut it off? I have tried at least 10 times to get it to auto shutoff with the smartstart system and the only time it has worked is when i removed the humidity canister from the humidity chamber, otherwise the mask just stays on blowing full force.. i know it will run for awhile to cool the humidity chamber but this showed cont rate of 8 and didnt even show any warning of leak or anything when i take the mask off. So i doubt it autoshutoff last night and i know i didnt touch it, the machine isnt close enough to me to just reach it without getting out of bed.. I have no pets and no one else would have touched it. I cant imagine i stopped breathing for 3-4 minutes either or i wouldnt be here now!

where do you have your machine set up...is it on a table? where is your power cord set up? is it on the table or on the floor? Is your power cord plugged directly into an outlet or is it plugged into a power strip? Did you have a power outage or power surge? I always turn my machine on and off so I am not sure about the smart start system that you speak of.
The machine is on a table, the cord is hanging down on the floor directly plugged into the wall.. I dont think our power went out cause my clock usually flashes til morning if that happens.. The resmed has an auto on/off when it senses u removing the mask or take a breath when putting it on.. So for 3 minutes it should have detected a breath if it were to turn back on way sooner then three whole minutes.. Gonna turn that feature off tonight and see if it happens again.
(09-11-2013, 06:32 PM)becky_us Wrote: I wore my cpap for the first time tonight and then loaded my data into sleepyhead this morning.. I noticed a gap in the data for about 4 minutes and wondering if anyone can tell me what happened?? I did not take the mask off nor did the machine turn off... the smartstop doesn't seem to work for me ever.. I've tried restarting the machine, changing the setting to off then back on, but to no avail.. it will smartstart but won't stop when I take the mask off so I doubt it thought I took the mask off for 4 minutes. I use the swift fx nasal pillows with my resmed s9 elite at a pressure of 8. I attached the picture of the screenshot of those 4 minutes to this post. Thanks! and please tell me it gets easier to use.. I had a hard time falling asleep and I have a sore in my right nare from my first night at the lab.. I think they had the mask on too tight, I wore it looser last night and it felt better.. Becky

Becky, welcome, I wouldn't worry too much about it as it was only your first night, your AHI numbers look good, keep it up, well done.
It's also good to see that you are looking at your data.
Thanks.. yeah, my first night was better then last night Smile I had about 5 events but my ahi was still under 1 so that's still good! I had a little bit easier time falling asleep last night too, we played the radio to help with keeping my mind from wandering.. my nose is still kinda sore, gonna get some cream today! Luckily I'm a mother/baby nurse and have free access to lanolin, LOL sooo plan to get that the next night I work! I turned off smartstart and the machine didn't stop at all last night.
(09-12-2013, 08:20 AM)becky_us Wrote: Thanks.. yeah, my first night was better then last night Smile I had about 5 events but my ahi was still under 1 so that's still good! I had a little bit easier time falling asleep last night too, we played the radio to help with keeping my mind from wandering.. my nose is still kinda sore, gonna get some cream today! Luckily I'm a mother/baby nurse and have free access to lanolin, LOL sooo plan to get that the next night I work! I turned off smartstart and the machine didn't stop at all last night.

I am kind of laughing at this b/c my 2nd night was not as good as my first night either as I had more leaks (above 20). Both nights, my pressure was much less when I was sleeping on my side so I am forcing myself to stay on my side. My biggest concern is that when I was sleeping on my back, the pressure was at the max of 20 and it makes me wonder if my pressure at that time should have been higher but 20 is as high as it goes. I try my best to stay off of my back but sometimes, we turn over and won't know it. I have put things in front of me and behind me to alleviate turning on my back but it is still possible to get on my back.
The good thing is that you are using your machine and (hopefully) feeling better and getting better rest.

And "YES" it does get better. You just have to resign yourself to having whatever mask works for you. That part doesn't get better. But knowing you are taking care of your apnea makes it all worthwhile. Sleep-well
(09-12-2013, 08:20 AM)becky_us Wrote: Thanks.. yeah, my first night was better then last night Smile I had about 5 events but my ahi was still under 1 so that's still good! I had a little bit easier time falling asleep last night too, we played the radio to help with keeping my mind from wandering.. my nose is still kinda sore, gonna get some cream today! Luckily I'm a mother/baby nurse and have free access to lanolin, LOL sooo plan to get that the next night I work! I turned off smartstart and the machine didn't stop at all last night.

becky, you may need to try other masks like a nasal mask or even a full face masks, you can even alternate if you want.
You don't want to get sores that get even worse, let us know how you go with the cream.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 411 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,475 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,036 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.