Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thoughts on mouth breathing and xPAP effectiveness?
RE: Thoughts on mouth breathing and xPAP effectiveness?
I'm having problems with a couple of items in the list posted above, no intended diminishment of Crimson Nape's offering, because there's a lot of good thinking included.

I can't buy item #1 at all.  The nose and mouth breathing passages interchange at the top of the trachea, and from there on down it's all trachea, branched bronchia, and alveoli.  Breathing is breathing.

#2 only makes sense if the surface area in the avleoli also increases.  It doesn't.

Item #5 doesn't make sense.  All breathing effort is shared between the diaphragm and the intercostal muscles.  Many adults tend to use the intercostals more than they ought, so I won't argue that learning to breath more efficiently using one's diaphragm isn't a reasonable goal.

What I may have missed in the items is that the nose has turbinate bones meant to cause turbulence over mucous membranes whose sole function is to humidify, and to partially heat, the air entering the lungs.  If you want to know why your nose drips during cold outdoors movement, or in a cold room, it's because your exhaust air moving over those turbinate bones is cooled by the turbinates which, in turn, were cooled transferring moisture to the incoming air just a second ago.  As you know, cold water in a glass causes condensation, and the turbinates work precisely the same way in that they collect moisture on their surfaces as your exhaust air moves over them during expiration.  Drip, drip, drip...

The mouth also has mucoceles. They line the inner cheeks and lips.  Their function, apart from moistening the mouth, is to help your teeth slide reliably over those inner proximal (and vulnerable) epithelial layers.  Anyone ever bitten a cheek or the inner lip?  Wasn't that fun?  Mouth breathing is going to make the mucous sticker as it dries, and many if not most of us have experienced the dreaded dry-mouth of mouth-breathing and leaks with all types of masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best to your success. As you're aware, each of us have our unique set of difficulties to overcome. Difficulties aren't the same as impossibility however.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m pickin up what you’re puttin down. That’s the reason exactly for trying to nose breathe during running which is next to impossible at any exertion beyond a slow jog but in particular recovery...I like the astronomy question! Gravity is the answer I believe
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
A heavy topic. Good day to ya.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no studies or data to cite, probably the same with many homegrown techniques a lot of people use to survive from day to day. That might include wearing a cervical collar of which I specifically told, by a sleep doctor, has no scientific evidence to support it. That may have changed over the past 5 years and there might be studies now, I don't know.

I have always worn a FFM going back to the original(?) Mirage because I was diagnosed as a mouth breather (wearing a cervical collar may have helped with some of that). It is all I have ever known. Now I admit I am one of the few who has never had leak problems with a FFM, so this doesn't apply to most. But I have always been able to get a FFM to seal... one way or another.

But there is another reason. I can't wear a mask that blows air directly up my nose. Even the F30 or the DreamWear is way too harsh for me. However... the main reason for that is that I have never used a humidifier. When I first started you didn't get a humidifier unless it was medically necessary to get adequate treatment. But I did read all of the constant cleaning gyrations that people went through, because of the moist air and bacteria, and I just didn't want to deal with. With So Clean I imagine that is no longer an issue, never-the-less I still don't use one. Will I get better treatment with one and breathing through my nose, maybe, but who cares, I'm doing okay and I have no interest chasing a few tenths in results.

In the end it doesn't matter. Not really. Everyone needs to figure out what works best for them; and more importantly, what will get them back the next night, and the night after that, and the night...

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,143 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.