Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New diagnosis of mixed sleep apnea
New diagnosis of mixed sleep apnea
About 3 years ago, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. It took quite some time to find a mask that worked well for me and also i was able to get a bipap auto after using the auto cpap for about 7 months.

A few months ago, I started a discussion with my respiratory therapist that I still fall asleep during small group meetings, or basically when I am sitting and am inactive. Also during this time, the AHI on my bipap was unusually high, averaging between 10 to 15 AHI.

So, a couple of weeks ago I had another night time sleep study, that was supposed to be followed up by a daytime multi-latency sleep study. Since I didn't get any N3 (deep restorative sleep) during the night, they canceled the day study because they felt there was no reason to have a day study since my tiredness was because of not having any N3 sleep. They also said that I had 50 Periodic limb movements during the night (my first study only had 5 PLMs during the night). Oh yes, my AHI index during this study, using a bilevel pap, was 24.9. The technician eluded that it seemed that the bipap was not helping me.

This week the Sleep doctor called and said that there were central apneas as well as obstructive apneas, and they have changed my diagnosis to Mixed Sleep Apnea, and also that I would be scheduled for another overnight sleep study titration using an ASV. Surprisingly, I was able to get my next study scheduled for this coming Sunday night. Someone must have canceled, because normally the wait period is a couple of months to get an appointment.

I was very uncomfortable at the Regional Overnight Sleep Center for the most recent sleep study- the bed was a little harder than I am used to, and the blankets were a bit rough to the touch for me. For this upcoming overnight titration, I am thinking of bringing my own blanket to make it more comfortable- and definitely bring my own pillow.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New diagnosis of mixed sleep apnea
G'day ruach. Welcome to Apnea Board.

ASV machines feel quite different compared with ordinary CPAP or bilevel machines, and can take a little bit of getting used to. But once over the initial hump, they are absolutely marvellous. The main issue is that as you drop off to sleep, your breathing naturally gets a bit ragged during the transition - an ASV might interpret this as an incipient apnea and start "helping" you to breathe more regularly - this can be disturbing and prevent you getting to sleep properly. Once you are asleep the ASV reacts very quickly to any changes in the airflow and will give you an extra pulse of pressure to stabilise your breathing - this is the process which prevents the occurrence of central apneas.

Depending on which machine you use, there are various techniques to optimise the experience. Resmed ASV machines are easy - they will generally follow your breathing rather than try to force you. Just relax, breathe slowly and evenly and the machine will match your rhythm. If you feel the pressure going up too much during that transition phase, just blow back strongly - the machine will get the message and reduce pressure for a period.

With Respironics machines, you can make adjustments to the backup rate (ie how many breaths per minute the machine will impose), as well as the inspiration time etc (which you're probably familiar with from your bipap). Unless these are set for your comfort, you might find the Respironics ASV feels too aggressive, so be aware that they can be tweaked.

Good luck with your titration - ASV machines are wonderful high tech instruments which give most people a really comfortable sleep and a dramatic improvement in their apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

It will be good to have that under control.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ruach,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
When I went in for my sleep studies, they told me that I could bring my pillow if I wanted to, so I don’t blame you for bringing your own blanketand pillow, whatever makes you more comfortable.
Good luck to you at your ASV titration and, hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks trish6hundred and DariaVader-
Also, thanks DeepBreathing for the details on the ASV machines- I have a feeling I won't be able to choose, since the DME for Kaiser typically has a specific list of authorized equipment . . .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 129 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 573 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.