Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New guy here
RE: New guy here
Your problem with impaired nasal flow could have resulted in your finding of mild apnea. I'm here to assure you that the Airfit P10 pillows can overcome that resistance and enable you to breath through your nose again, with or without surgery. I also have deviated septum, and have used the nasal pillow masks since 2008. Regardless of congestion, illness or my deviated septum, I have never needed a full-face. Give the pillows a try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll give those a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi duece12345,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy and with your machine set up appointment.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2016, 07:48 AM)duece12345 Wrote: I never in a million years would have thought I have apnea, but I do. AHI 14 and O2 89%.

I am an airline pilot and am out of work until I can get a CPAP and prove it helps. I travel 2-3 weeks a month so a travel CPAP is a must. Do you veterans recommend a travel CPAP as my primary or having a home and travel CPAP. I am fairly sure my insurance will only cover one.

Thanks!

If you are flying the heavy iron on long haul and plan to use crew quarters, you may wish to check power availability on the deck or get one of the portable battery units to power your xPAP. Additionally, remember the equivalent effective cabin altitude if the unit is used onboard. Make sure the unit is ok at your pressurization levels. up to about 8,000 ft. You might want to check with your AME.

A secondary consideration is the compliance data to supplement your physicals. With ResMed's S10 series, the data is sent over a cellular link as soon as the machine connects to their servers. So there may be third-party eyes on your compliance.

Without the integrated humidifier water chamber (using an end plate), the ResMed Autosense AutoSet is a great and rather compact unit.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I never thought of the data issue. Do I get to choose where the data goes or does it go to a 3rd party that I have to contact/log on to extract the data?

As far as international/augmented ops, I don't intend to do that for a while, if ever. I did enough of that in the military! you bring up great points on that though. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
the data goes to Resmed, and they in turn share it with DME. The DME shares with docs and I presume any agency on the need to know list.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
What if I dont register with resumed and just use sleepyhead? I am not very keen on my data going being uploaded to a 3rd every time I turn it on
Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think "they" will need to see some of the data for 3 months, to prove that you are "compliant" -- using the machine for more than 4 hours each night. The actual detailed data doesn't necessarily (or ever?) get transmitted. Many doctors are amazed when we bring SleepyHead charts to show them.

PS If you find you don't require humidity, you can get a replacement side plate for the AirSense S10 machines. This saves about 5 x 5" inches in that luggage case, which you can instead fill with medications. I believe the whole case must be "medical items" in order for it to qualify as "medical and not carry-on bag". BUT I don't know how many of the normal passenger rules apply to the pilot!
Post Reply Post Reply
"they" will likely insist on seeing the data forever to maintain pilots license - sorry to say.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.