Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New guy here!
New guy here!
Hello to all. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea earlier this summer. I did two sleep study tests. I picked up my CPAP machine (ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10) on Sept. 10 and have been using it every night w/o any problems or issues. 

I was kind of surprised how quickly I adjusted to it. It's now been 45 nights of use, and I haven't really felt any improvements as of yet. It there were any, they were very subtle. 

I clean the air hose, mask, and reservoir by hand. The hose gets cleaned once a week, and the mask and reservoir daily. I've seen the ads for the So Clean CPAP machine, but am not convinced that it is necessary. 

This is all new stuff to me. No one in my family has had Sleep Apnea. But, I do understood it is largely un-diagnosed. I had A-Fib and that led to my doctor wanting me to take a sleep study test. 

I hope to learn a lot from this forum. It'll be great being able to communicate with others who are experiencing the same thing. 

Anyways, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New guy here!
Welcome to the forum, we can and will help you.

Please attach a copy of your sleep studies, and download Sleepyhead.  Sleepyhead will give us detailed data needed to properly give advice.  This lets us see down to a breath by breath level of your entire night if needed, very detailed.  See my signature for how to.

On So Clean,  I don't have one and I don't see a need for one if you perform basic cleaning that you are performing. If you don't IMHO it can't work. So Clean is basically a sanitizing system that should be used only after you clean it.  If you feel better using it, go ahead, it really will not hurt you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, and welcome.  If you have the motivation and the time, manually cleaning your equipment will save you money in the long run.  This is just my opinion, and I can't, or will not, say that it is widely shared in the PAP industry and user community (including this forum), but I don't feel the machine is likely to be of substantial benefit over simply using and replacing the air filters routinely, at least three times a year if not in a city and near trees and plants that produce a lot of pollen seasonally, and washing the hose and mask/headgear about once a week.  That's what I have done since starting PAP therapy almost a year ago and I don't seem to have suffered unduly due to a real neglect.

Warm soapy water and a rinse should clear whatever really is deposited in the air passages you can clean, and if you care to add cheap insurance and sterilize them, simply splash a solution of peroxide or potassium metabisulphite into them, wait-two-three, and then rinse and air dry.  Easy peazy. Let's say $4/annum for giggles.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and welcome to the forum Big guy, I am new here but seems like the place to be if you want some good help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2018, 05:15 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Hi, and welcome.  If you have the motivation and the time, manually cleaning your equipment will save you money in the long run.  This is just my opinion, and I can't, or will not, say that it is widely shared in the PAP industry and user community (including this forum), but I don't feel the machine is likely to be of substantial benefit over simply using and replacing the air filters routinely, at least three times a year if not in a city and near trees and plants that produce a lot of pollen seasonally, and washing the hose and mask/headgear about once a week.  That's what I have done since starting PAP therapy almost a year ago and I don't seem to have suffered unduly due to a real neglect.

Warm soapy water and a rinse should clear whatever really is deposited in the air passages you can clean, and if you care to add cheap insurance and sterilize them, simply splash a solution of peroxide or potassium metabisulphite into them, wait-two-three, and then rinse and air dry.  Easy peazy. Let's say $4/annum for giggles.
------------------------------

I'm retired and do have the time and motivation. I use anti-septic wipes on the mask daily. The reservoir gets dumped of left over distilled water daily and then wiped dry, and then allowed to air dry as well. 

The hose gets a bath of very warm water and some Dawn dish soap once a week. It gets a good soaking and then rinsed with hot water and then hung up vertically so that it can drip and air dry. It's allowed to dry most of the day. I do all the cleaning in the morning. 

I tend to be a bit OCD when it comes to CPAP cleanliness. Better safe than sorry. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have any copies of my sleep study results. I assume that my sleep study doc can and will provide them to me upon request. 

Am I assuming correctly?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Not only can he but he is legally obligated to. You have a right to all of your medical records. I'm sure your request will be honored. You should request a copy of your prescription as well.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-you for the reply. I have an appt. for the 25th of this month for a follow-up. I will ask him for copies of my sleep study test results, as well as my prescription. 

This site rocks!  like
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.