Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie looking for Feedback
Newbie looking for Feedback
Hello, 
I am new to this board and recently had a Home based sleep study (given by my Sleep Center), after my PCP suspected Sleep Apnea. My diagnosis was moderate OSA (AHI 24.1) with moderate O2 saturation. I suspect I may had this for several years.
I have been using CPAP (PR Dreamstation with FlexPlus Auto Ramp 4 - 18 cm set by Sleep Center),
with Dreamwear Nask Pillow mask for 2 weeks now. See latest Oscar report below.

Questions :
1. Even though my AHI is below 5 for the past 2 weeks, I am still not feeling fully refreshed in the morning. Was wondering how many days/weeks does it take to see improvements. I understand the CPAP efficacy varies from person to person.
I am sleeping overall more hrs ( 8 - 9 hrs) than before CPAP ( 6-7 hrs). Not sure if my body is trying to catch up with my sleep debt Smile  

2. Based on my OSCAR reports, am I on right track in terms of statistics ?

I am still digesting the different aspects/terminology of my long Aleep Apnea journey.
But I already feel part of this family, after reading excellent different posts here and any suggestions/guidance will be appreciated.

Attached Files
.docx   Sep19_2018.docx (Size: 184.64 KB / Downloads: 16)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie looking for Feedback
Hi, and welcome.  The first thing that occurs to me is in your description of your pressure settings.  They start as low as 4.0.  That is much too low.  When we get newcomers here who  complain as you do about how you feel, despite good numbers each morning, we often find that their low pressure point is near 4.0.  When we suggest they consider bumping it up to 5.5 or even up to 6.0, they almost always come back and say that it's a big improvement.  So, if you feel comfortable getting into your 'settings' and options, see if you, or your monitoring group, can't bump that up at least to 5.0 (but I would strongly go with at least 5.5, even 6.0).

When first getting into PAP therapy, whatever it consists of, you're dealing with change.  You need a period of adjustment.  Sleep changes, your awareness of your circumstances changes, even mood later the next day.  Some report 'brain fog' that they didn't seem to have before using PAP.  Consider the next two or three months a trial period where you, your new machine, and your body, will have to shake hands often and sit down and 'talk' it out.

I haven't looked at your information yet, but I'll do that now and add anything I feel might be helpful to you.  You'll be sure to get some great advice from others who will see things I don't see....so please be patient and wait for other comments.

Edit [added] - Your charts are hard to see because they are small. Would you please read the organizing your charts instruction, found in the link to OSCAR, found at the top dark marquee. We don't need the calendar, for example, and could use other information presented in different order. It really helps us to standardize our approach to helping everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks mesenteria.
Appreciate the suggestions.
Not sure if I can bump up the low pressure point. I may need to reach out to the Sleep center.
I have inserted my OSCAR info based on the instructions.

Post Reply Post Reply
You certainly can.  At the top of the page you see a link titled setup manuals.  follow the instructions to get the one for your machine.  It is a manual process so don't expect an instant response.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome to Apnea Board. The chart doesn't look real bad. Like mesenteria mentioned, a bump of your pressure minimum would be helpful; I'd suggest 6 for now. We see that with most users of the Respironics machines that it's a bit slower in responding to events. That pressure bump helps to minimize that slowness in responding. And it can help if it feels like you're not getting enough air through the mask.

You can adjust it yourself once you access that clinician menu. You can obtain a clinician manual in the link at the top banner. Just search for your specific machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the suggestions. Will go ahead and try setting the min pressure to 6.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 134 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 239 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.