Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New guy - just found Forum
New guy - just found Forum
Hello to all.  Just found the forum.  Been searching for information about masks, figured this would be a great place to learn from.  First tested for APNEA almost 10 years ago (AHI 20).  Till last month I used a Respironics System One CPAP set at a constant pressure of 6cm, with humidifier and ResMed Mirage SoftGel mask.  Was tested again and AHI was much worse (53.9).  Dr. prescribed a Respironics DreamStation S/T BIPAP with an N20 mask. Machine setup is EPAP - 10cm, IPAP - 15cm, BPM - 12, and TI -1.  I'm very satisfied with the new machine but not overly impressed with the mask - no matter what I do, I can't seem to get a good fit.  It's best when on my back but once I move the fit goes away.  So here I am.  I'll be reading what's here on masks and welcome your comments and suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New guy - just found Forum
Welcome to the forum, cobradoc. You can always go back to your old mask if you were happy with it. Also, your equipment supplier should allow you to swap out the new mask for one that fits you.

I strongly urge you to download the free OSCAR software so you can find out what's going on with your therapy. Do you happen to know the breakdown of your 53.9 AHI? In other words, were most of the events obstructive apneas, central apneas, or hypopneas. Software can answer these questions and steer you towards more appropriate machine settings.

At the very least, you'll know how effective the new machine is at treating your sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board cobradoc. I probably would have said something similar to Sleepster. If the mask you’ve had works for you, why not keep using it. With that new machine of course.

I’d suggest getting a copy of that test you had recently. This needs to be the full report not just a summary. This enables you to post this here and you’ll need that report as future proof of medical necessity later, especially if you cannot retrieve them from this doc later.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While the therapy delivered via the mask must perhaps change, it doesn't render the mask itself as outdated or unusable.  So, I agree with the others; use what you can, what is handy, what is paid for, and what you know and works well for you.

On the other hand, quite a few people find it useful to swap out different masks from time-to-time. I won't say it's entirely like alternating footwear, as podiatrists urge us all to do, but maybe there's something to that with different mask types as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster, thanks for your response.  Haven't contacted the supplier yet, but that's a good idea.  Don't know how cooperative they will be as there was a "strong" discussion concerning the first mask (full facial) mask that they insisted that I take.  Not sure what OSCAR software is - I'm and old man and not too computer literate. I plan on trying to us my old mask tonight and for the weekend to see if it is any better.  As for the breakdown of my AHI, the script lists the diagnosis as: "Group 5 Obstructive Sleep Apnea".
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2019, 04:01 PM)mesenteria Wrote: While the therapy delivered via the mask must perhaps change, it doesn't render the mask itself as outdated or unusable.  So, I agree with the others; use what you can, what is handy, what is paid for, and what you know and works well for you.

On the other hand, quite a few people find it useful to swap out different masks from time-to-time. I won't say it's entirely like alternating footwear, as podiatrists urge us all to do, but maybe there's something to that with different mask types as well.

I've only used two different masks in my life, so I consider myself a novice when it comes to masks.  It could get a little expensive in the process.  Plus, and I hope I'm wrong, what I've read about purchasing new masks, in the U.S. I have to have a dr.'s prescription to purchase a new mask.  Is this correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2019, 04:02 PM)cobradoc Wrote: I'm and old man and not too computer literate.

Do you have a family member, friend, or neighbor who can help you install OSCAR? It should take them only a few minutes. After that you can learn to use it without too much trouble. You just take the SD card out of your CPAP machine, put it into your computer, and launch OSCAR. It's pretty user-friendly after that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2019, 04:36 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 04:02 PM)cobradoc Wrote: I'm and old man and not too computer literate.

Do you have a family member, friend, or neighbor who can help you install OSCAR? It should take them only a few minutes. After that you can learn to use it without too much trouble. You just take the SD card out of your CPAP machine, put it into your computer, and launch OSCAR. It's pretty user-friendly after that.

Not trying to be a smart arse, but what can I do with all the data on the chip?  I can already read lots of information off the screen of the machine.  I get today, 7 day average and 30 day average on hours slept per day, AHI, mask fit, and several other pieces of information that I have no idea what it's about.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason behind using OSCAR to gather and allow posting of the data is to get this info onto the post. On top of this, OSCAR has far more reporting capability than the machine screen can ever display. That applies whether you're looking at it yourself or posting it here for others to comment on. Without this info, there's little help that members can offer to assist you in making the therapy better, nor can we help much if there's questions about the therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
the long and short of it is that if you are feeling well, happy with your cpap experience and your provider support, there's no need to dig deeper. if the opposite, the breadth and depth of data sleepyhead and oscar report from the data your machine is already generating, is required to understand how to better optimize settings, comfort and efficacy of your treatment. since you're here you probably have and can operate a computer. there's a steep leaning curve with respect to understanding the data but knowledgeable folks here will do that for you. oscar itself isn't very hard. just ask a grandchild or a neighbor kid to help you get set up! :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 371 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 238 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 739 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,648 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,454 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,789 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question New home sleep study device found - Contec RS10, has anybody tested it??? djrem3000 0 818 05-23-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: djrem3000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.