Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New hard time adjusting Water on pillow & mask problems
New hard time adjusting Water on pillow & mask problems
Hello folks, I'm new to this forum but not new to sleep apnea. I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago. After 6 months proclaimed myself healed; yep I'm now back on machine. Had a new study done, new machine and masks 7 days ago.

I opted for the new nasal pillows I have the Swift FX which seemed a miracle for couple nights. (Last I used 10 yrs ago so you can imagine the difference) After a couple nights it quit fitting well the silicone gear seems to stretch maybe, I dont know.

Night before last I was awoke by a horrible shooting pain inside my nostril. I went back to sleep only to have it repeated.
Last night I wasn't awaken by the pain but by my pillow being wet. I thought at first I was drooling (which I've never done) I don't believe I was.. could this water have come from the humidifier?

Inspite of my lapse of compliance I truly do understand the seriousness of Sleep Apnea and am determined to hang with my therapy this time.
I'm just having such a hard time adjusting (as I know must as well) I'm a side sleeper and toss and turn all night thru my sleep due to back problems. I'm removing the mask in my sleep and had got a bit better till the shooting pain and water on pillow. argh!

I've ask my med supply for a whisp mask and hoping maybe it will be better.

Suggestions advice welcome.
Sleepless in MS, MsDixie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New hard time adjusting Water on pillow & mask problems
Hi MsDixie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rough start but it's great to hear that you want to stick with it this time. It could be that your nasal pillows are moving, therefore, water from the humidifier is winding up on your bed pillow instead of goininto your nose.
I have the Wispnasal mask and like it very much but everyone is different. The mask is the hardest part of the therapy and it might take quite a few of them 'til you get just the right one for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions, best of luck and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you trish6hundred Smile
You're so right the mask is the hardest part - it all sure has me aggravated today. I feel worse and more tired today than I have all week.
So the humidifier produces water (duh) I wonder if that is where the shooting pain I had came from too.. that was horrible and make me leery of wearing the mask when sleeping. Maybe I should try turning it off and see if that makes a difference. I was hoping they med supply would bring me the whisp mask today to try but looks like they won't make it as it's near 4 now.
Thanks again so much
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2013, 03:48 PM)MsDixie Wrote: So the humidifier produces water (duh) I wonder if that is where the shooting pain I had came from too.. that was horrible and make me leery of wearing the mask when sleeping. Maybe I should try turning it off and see if that makes a difference.

Hi MsDixie, welcome to the forum!

Yes, water up the nose can cause a shooting pain.

See if you can get a heated hose, which would stop the humidity from condensing inside the hose. Perhaps you can point out you need a humidifier to keep your sinuses and throat from drying out but cannot use the machine if it going to cause water to shoot into your nose. (Regarding insurance coverage, inability to tolerate your machine may qualify you to receive a different machine.)

Some people manage to put their machine lower than the bed (but, to keep machine away from dust, not on floor) so that any water that condenses in the hose will tend to flow back into the humidifier.

Or, turn the humidifier down a little (but hopefully not off).

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
MsDixie:
It's funny you should post this query now. I used the FX for quite some time but, like you, I couln't cut the leakages down.
I found that using a chin restraint helped a little.
I have since switched to the Swift LT, with chin restraint and made a bit difference. I think the hose going over the head and clipped in lets me move around more and sleep on my side.
The wet... that could be that your humidifier is set too high.
hang in there.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Bompa and Vaughn for your replies and help

My new mask ( Wisp) did arrive the other evening and I am doing better with it so far than I was with the FX Swift. For me the Wisp seems easier to keep on and less leakage. I'm just still struggling adjusting to being. 'Hosehead' :-)
I know I am sleeping better with therapy as I feel better but yet still feel like I'm lacking sleep and my brain wants to play tricks on me trying to convince me of how badly I yearn to sleep hose free and the restful sleep I am missing... crazy huh.

I'm having some trouble with the humidifier the air seems cold to me, I've set it to 2 in hopes of controlling the water and it has so far ( I had it on 5 before) That could be an issue as my nightstand is level with my bead, I've draped the hose over my head board to give it some height.
My new Wisp also has the headgear that holds the hose at the top too, and I've been using it, I really like that! Yet, I am still fighting the hose at night.
Just yearn for a good nights sleep I don't remember it being this hard to adjust years ago when I used one nor the problems I am having with the humidifier. My ins is medicare will it pay for a heated hose? The med supply RT didnt offer one when I told him of the problems I described above. My machine may not be compatible with one? I posted a questions hoping some could help me make sure which one i have.
Grateful for y'all's help and to have found this board.
Post Reply Post Reply
MsDixie

I am on a medicate HMO.
Before I moved I got heated hoses covered every time.
Since my move I have new insurance co and a new supplier, Apria.
This time I had to fight for the heated hose. They had been so clumsy handling me and my order, they just gave me the heated hose, after suggesting it might not be covered by insurance.
Six months from now I will be due for a new mask and hose. I will know then what I must do to continue receiving heated hoses. I won't use anything else.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! They did get the heated hose ordered hopefully I will have it soon. My insurance did cover it, I'm on regular medicare (no HMO)
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a quick follow up
I received my heated hose and it has stopped the issues with water on pillow and that shooting up my nose! Oui'
I've also changed to the Bella Swift and so far have a few nights of 0 leaks.
I love the Wisp I was using its going to be hard to decide which I have to give back tomorrow. Ill probably keep the Bella and when it's time for a new mask get me a wisp again so I can have both :-)
Thanks for y'all's help and pointed me in right direction with the heated hose - love it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same mask, Swift FX for two years - just changed to a the Aloha.
I found if I rolled over in the centre of my pillow it would sometimes dislodge on the lower nostril - causing a massive air leak, sometimes associated with moisture, if I did not move soon. Usually my wife would poke me and I would move repositioning the nasal pillow again. You can get a sore nose if the nasal pillow is off centre for awhile.
I have not had this problem with the new mask. try adjusting the two head straps - you need a balance between tight and not too tight - it can take a few nights to get it right.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 66 1,034 10 minutes ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 6 74 52 minutes ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,492 5 hours ago
Last Post: jiyun
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 4 82 Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 179 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 112 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.