Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New headgear [trying Simplus]
New headgear [trying Simplus]
so after much discussion and debate between here and Facebook I decided to try a FFM to see if it solves my leakage issues which keep me up sometimes all night adjusting the mask, which defeats the purpose of using a CPAP to get a better nights rest.

I went and saw the RT at American Home Patient this morning and was fitted with a medium F&P Simplus mask. I am going to try it for two weeks to see how it works for me, and if it doesn’t I can call them and have them send me a medium ResMed F20 to try.

Wish me luck that one of these two FFMs will do the trick for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New headgear
In my experience, FFMs leak the most.  I have a Simplus, but the larger circumference provides more leasable opportunities than the Eson nasal mask.  I use the Simplus on the rare occasions when I can't get my nose unblocked.  If the Simplus does not work, you may want to try out the Eson.  I have a P10 too, but I just can't get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2018, 11:52 PM)chill Wrote: In my experience, FFMs leak the most.  I have a Simplus, but the larger circumference provides more leasable opportunities than the Eson nasal mask.  I use the Simplus on the rare occasions when I can't get my nose unblocked.  If the Simplus does not work, you may want to try out the Eson.  I have a P10 too, but I just can't get used to it.

I didn’t really notice any leaks last night while asleep like I did with the P10. The only thing was this morning I became more aware of the air escaping through the exhause vent above the nose. I didn’t really notice that all that much from the P10 pillows. I did have a lot of leaks from the P10 because the pillows got pulled up inside my nose making a good seal impossible and causing lots of leaks.

With this mask I noticed that it seamed awfully tight even though it was adjusted by my RT. It left a long mark on the left side of my face. Does this mean that the mask is too tight and needs to be loosened, or is this normal?
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
Barron,

The Simplus is a good mask, from the perspective of a ffm user. It is my everyday mask.

I find that it's just right when I can subtly feel the mask inflate with air. I adjust the top strap just so that the forehead piece is nearly touching my forehead and the bottom straps get snugged to eliminate leaks while not being overly tightened. A have mask marks in the morning but they are gone in 30 minutes. On a bad night of leaks, I really tighten the straps but my leakage is usually coincidental to not shaving for 3 or 4 days.

When I first started using CPAP, I sat in the lazy boy with the machine running and adjusted the straps to see what strap controlled what part of the mask and how it felt with different tensions.
Generally I never adjust the headgear, I disconnect the clips and go on with my day and vice versa at night. I read somewhere that continual adjustments to headgear decreases logevity of the headgear due to constant Velcro tearing. I've not experienced that myself but it makes sense. I find where I'm comfortable and leave the adjustments alone.

Good luck and best wishes.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New headgear [trying Simplus]
Thank you Jesse! Question! When adjusting your straps do you snug them pretty good or leave them just tight enough to keep the mask from leaking? When I was using the Swift FX Nasal pillows the RT told me to do that but I wasn’t sure if I should apply the same principle to a FFM.
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply
I always aim to eliminate leaks 100% first then go for comfort. When I get leaks it's usually due to stubble, very occasionally I have gotten the mask pushed to the side on my face and that will give me a leak under my eye near my nose and I pull the mask straight away from my face and reset it. If I pull the straps really tight it feels pinchy. So there is a middle ground in there that is unique to you and sometimes it takes experiment. So my answer is I fix the leaks and give just a little more of a cinch. Snug plus a quarter turn if you've ever been a mechanic. No loktite.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply, Jesse. As a matter of fact I was a B-52H Bomber mechanic in the USAF back in the very early 1980’s so I do know what you mean. I appreciate the help as I am not new to CPAP but a literal infant to FFM use.
RedBarron

Post Reply Post Reply
"I did have a lot of leaks from the P10 because the pillows got pulled up inside my nose"

Inside?!!? It sounds like you need a larger pillow size.  They should be against the nostrils, not IN them!

"With this mask I noticed that it seamed awfully tight even though it was adjusted by my RT."

That is almost certainly too tight.  The Simplus and Eson work best when just tight enough to seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed doesn’t make a pillow larger than large for the P10.

You adjust the amount of tension on the p10 by moving the top strap back and forth on you head. When the top strap is moved all the way to the back of the head the head gear is as tight as it is going to get (I didn’t use this tension because it was already too tight). When top strap is directly on top of the head(the position I tried to use) ir was as loose as it could be. If you try to move both straps up the headgear woul come loose and fall of during the night causing the nasal pillows to leak badly and even fall out entirely.
RedBarron

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,629 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 415 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 330 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 443 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 404 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 541 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Adaptor to fix a Evora headgear on a Brevida mask BeauPetitNez 3 1,007 03-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Nickman111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.