Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New here
New here
I’m glad I found this forum because now I’m not feeling so bad about my situation, or my Kaiser experience. I didn’t have to wait at all to get my sleep test done, and one week later I am using a loaner machine from Kaiser that I will bring back in a few days. I gather from reading your posts that they will pull data from it in order to finalize my prescription. I didn't realize until coming here that these machines are like mini computers and I will be able to monitor my progress from the machine's reports. I especially appreciate all your posts about not giving up, because I haven’t slept in three days, but I am willing to stick with it and I hope it will make my life better. 

My insurance doesn’t cover my equipment, but I gather from reading your posts that I will continue to see my doctor about my apnea and monitor my progress after buying my own. I didn’t know anything about sleep apnea except that for years my husband has been telling me I had it. I didn’t realize it could be the source of my fatigue, irritability, or other issues, and possibly kill me. (that’s the biggee I want to avoid) My level is severe, 31.9 events per hour. Sorry I don’t know the other acronyms yet.

I’ve had a really rough three nights using this machine and the nasal mask they gave me, which I really don’t like, but like I said, I’m willing to stick with it so thank you all for your encouraging posts. Now if I could just get some sleep I'd feel less like crying.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New here
Hi grannyganja,
Welcome to the forum!

I'm giving you a link to read (since you are going to buy you own machine).  This will help you in choosing and which machines to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions

Also, it's cheaper if you buy on line and bypass your DME.  Compare prices before buying.

Look for a fully data capable auto Cpap.  There is a supplier list at top of page where you can check out cpaps and prices.  Amazon is a good source too.

Also, the most minimalistic mask is the RedMed P10 nasal pillow mask.  

Good luck and ask questions anytime.  There is always someone here to help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I was self-funding the purchase CPAP equipment, I would not hesitate to get the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP from Amazon. It averages between $380 and $440 (price changes). Also I think you might find the Resmed Airfit P10 pillows mask to be comfortable and inexpensive at $65. It comes with 3-sizes of nasal cushions, so you can try different ones. Kaiser is usually very good about coverage, and I'm sure they will help you regardless of where you source a machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The other thing you may want to consider, assuming you're old enough, is that Medicare will help cover the cost of a machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not as old as my avatar, and I don't smoke ganja, either Smile I just drive like her.

I don't qualify for medicare. I'm fully prepared to pay for my equipment, and I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm reading the posts at OpalRose's links and I had already decided on the P10 pillow mask. At first I just thought quiet was the most important element in a machine, but now I'm learning they need to be able to monitor my therapy improvement. I'm learning a lot just by scanning the posts!

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi grannyganja,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know this can be overwhelming so feel free to ask questions to help you understand sleep apnea.
I wish you good luck as you start your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi grannyganja. Another welcome to the Apnea Board Forum.  Good to hear that you are serious about educating yourself about Sleep Apnea.  A fully data capable machine is the first step and then getting a well fitting mask is the next step.  You are well on your way.  Be assured that there are many people here who can help you with adjustments to your therapy when the time comes.  Start looking into the Sleepyhead software when you have a chance.  It will help you communicate with people who have had lots of success adjusting their machines for optimum results.  

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.