Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New here!
Smile 
New here!
I'm 49 years old.
I had a sleep registration for about 7 years ago.
That night there was a AHI of 9.
And since someone had to be suffering from an AHI 10 or higher to be treaded with CPAP, I got none.
I was a truck driver for a living back then, and I couldn't drive 20 minutes, without get a nap from 30 minutes.
So I bought my own 2 CPAPs (without prescription). One for home, and one for on the road.
Now, 7 years later, the guidelines are less strict.
So I got a new sleep study, and now I have a AHI of 11,5.
I got a Resmed S9 Autoset, and a Resmed Quattro, in my 2 week titration period, which ends next Wednesday.

I live in Europe, in the Netherlands. That explains my name, don't you think? Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New here!
Hi Dutch
Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Dutch, considering 5 and above is considered as sleep apnea you should have been treated, your just lucky you took your treatment into your own hands, well done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk! I feel at home already.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 06:05 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome Dutch, considering 5 and above is considered as sleep apnea you should have been treated, your just lucky you took your treatment into your own hands, well done.

Thanks Tez62!

Back then it was above 10.
But I realized the doctors were wrong when they said there was nothing wrong with me.
The apnea forum over here was not so happy about what I did then.
"Only a doctor may set your pressure, and give you a CPAP", "You may not experiment with pressure settings" etc.
It was not that simple to get a CPAP without prescription then.
Now, they are sold on Ebay. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 06:13 PM)Dutch Wrote: Back then it was above 10.
But I realized the doctors were wrong when they said there was nothing wrong with me.
"Only a doctor may set your pressure, and give you a CPAP", "You may not experiment with pressure settings" etc.

Welcome Dutch. 7 years makes you an old-timer! I'm thinking maybe you heard them wrong when they said "Only a doctor may ..... give you CPAP.." I'm thinking there are too many "P's" in the word "CPAP."

Anyhow, you took care of business... Good for you. Falling asleep behind the wheel of a truck is not something that is good for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dutch,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you took your CPAP therapy into your own hands.
Well done, and best of luck toyou.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 06:35 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(02-22-2014, 06:13 PM)Dutch Wrote: Back then it was above 10.

Welcome Dutch. 7 years makes you an old-timer! I'm thinking maybe you heard them wrong when they said "Only a doctor may ..... give you CPAP.." I'm thinking there are too many "P's" in the word "CPAP."

Anyhow, you took care of business... Good for you. Falling asleep behind the wheel of a truck is not something that is good for you.

Thanks Retired_Guy!
Sometimes I do feel quite old. Too-funny
No really. They were outraged then, when I told them I bought one myself.
Now, they also think I did the only good thing I could do.

About 8 or 9 years ago I even had a small accident when backing up onto a Mercedes with my trailer. I couldn't handle the stress anymore and was sick for 10 months.
I got several sleep studies (one in a specialized facility, with all kind of wires on my head and chest, legs. There were even camera's and infrared lighting.) But they kept telling me there was nothing wrong with an AHI of 9. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 06:49 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Dutch,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you took your CPAP therapy into your own hands.
Well done, and best of luck toyou.

Thanks trish6hundred

All I know I learned from forums like this and YouTube, with hundreds of video's explaining apnea and CPAP.
I got a Resmed S9 Autoset from my clinician, who is specialized in apnea.
But I could tell him things about the machine he didn't knew. Too-funny
Like the possibility to attach a wireless adapter to send the data which is normally stored on SD.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, sometimes that happens, if your clinitian is opened to learning a few things, that's really good.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.