Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New here!
RE: New here!
(02-24-2014, 11:35 AM)herbm Wrote: During my Army days in Germany, I made a habit of visiting Nijmegen for the Nijmeegse Vierdaagse, only occasionally going to Amsterdam.

The best way to meet Nederlands girls was to sit in a bar with my Nederlands language book open, studying the language (really) and drinking a beer.

Everyone was so impressed that the American soldier was studying the language that they starting buying me beers, girls included. The men all wanted to introduce me to their sisters.

"Ik spreek maar een beetje nederlands", was an amazingly effective pick-up line. Smile

Also useful is, "Wil je me helpen om zeg dit woord??"

And of course almost everyone there speaks some English and wants to practice it so we had a very good time.

This is Amazing
I live in a small town near Venlo. About 90 kms south of Nijmegen.
"Nederlands" is one of the most difficult languages, almost like Chinese.
Very impressive you still remember something about it.
Glad you have good memories about that time.

Thanks for sharing your memories!

John.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

You're in the right place!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I though of Nederlands as being an EASY language for an English speaker who knew (some) German (Hoch Deutsch).

Most of the vocabulary had root traceable to either English or German, and the grammar tended to follow one or both.

I never did speak it well -- but I did speak it to VERY GOOD EFFECT.

For a 20 year old, unmarried, unattached, American Airborne Soldier in Nijmegan, a little bit of Nederlands would go a long way even in the 70s.

Seriously, brothers would introduce you to their sisters, older men and women would introduce you to their daughters. Girls with boyfriends would find you one of their girlfriends.

Beautiful girls who you thought you had barely met would stand and wait for the march to return to the main street of town at the end and FIND YOU TO GIVE YOU FLOWERS.

For those who don't know, the Vierdaagse or "Four Days" is (now) "the worlds large walking even, International_Four_Days_Marches_Nijmegen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internation...s_Nijmegen

Started well before World War II, it afterwards came to partially celebrate the Allied liberation of the Nederlands, and specifically the area around Nijmegan, from the Germans.

Those who know the movie a "Bridge Too Far" or the history of "Operation Market Garden" might understand why.

Arnhem, a nearby town, was on the OTHER SIDE of the "Bridge Too Far" -- Nijmegan was on the near "good side" that was liberated.

Even in 1974, there were MANY PEOPLE who remember the work of the Airborne troops who pushed out the Germans, and they were especially fond of any American Paratrooper even if he had not been borne by 1944.

Anyone over 10 years old at the time, would be 40 and up in 1974, would remember the German occupation and NOT FONDLY.

We were treated like heroes and had never done anything ourselves.

It's easy for me to love the people of the area around Nijmegen and of the Nederlands at large.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2014, 04:01 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: Welcome Dutch! That is a great story. Glad you took care of yourself. I do recall reading an article a while back debating whether it is necessary to treat mild sleep apnea. I of course believe it is necessary as it will only get worse and why put the body through even a mild case of it. I think awareness of sleep apnea is making it's mark now.

Thank you ImaSurvivor.

I think when someone feels better, and can function again with treatment, then sleep apnea always should be treated. Bigwink
(02-24-2014, 04:38 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Welcome

You're in the right place!

Smile

Thanks Shastzi!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2014, 05:02 PM)herbm Wrote: Actually, I though of Nederlands as being an EASY language for an English speaker who knew (some) German (Hoch Deutsch).

Most of the vocabulary had root traceable to either English or German, and the grammar tended to follow one or both.

I never did speak it well -- but I did speak it to VERY GOOD EFFECT.

For a 20 year old, unmarried, unattached, American Airborne Soldier in Nijmegan, a little bit of Nederlands would go a long way even in the 70s.

Seriously, brothers would introduce you to their sisters, older men and women would introduce you to their daughters. Girls with boyfriends would find you one of their girlfriends.

Beautiful girls who you thought you had barely met would stand and wait for the march to return to the main street of town at the end and FIND YOU TO GIVE YOU FLOWERS.

For those who don't know, the Vierdaagse or "Four Days" is (now) "the worlds large walking even, International_Four_Days_Marches_Nijmegen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internation...s_Nijmegen

Started well before World War II, it afterwards came to partially celebrate the Allied liberation of the Nederlands, and specifically the area around Nijmegan, from the Germans.

Those who know the movie a "Bridge Too Far" or the history of "Operation Market Garden" might understand why.

Arnhem, a nearby town, was on the OTHER SIDE of the "Bridge Too Far" -- Nijmegan was on the near "good side" that was liberated.

Even in 1974, there were MANY PEOPLE who remember the work of the Airborne troops who pushed out the Germans, and they were especially fond of any American Paratrooper even if he had not been borne by 1944.

Anyone over 10 years old at the time, would be 40 and up in 1974, would remember the German occupation and NOT FONDLY.

We were treated like heroes and had never done anything ourselves.

It's easy for me to love the people of the area around Nijmegen and of the Nederlands at large.

There s a thing with verbs in dutch language. But you're right: there is many German, and some English in it.
Where I live, we speak a dialect, which you really couldn't understand. :grin:
Every town or city has often its own dialect. But I think you noticed that when you were in Amsterdam.
That is a huge difference with Nijmegen.

Here, when you said you're an American, you're were a hero.
Like you said "Even in 1974, there were MANY PEOPLE who remember the work of the Airborne troops..."
Yes, I think they were still grateful, even now.
People would do anything for you, just because you're an American.
We have just a funny way of saying "Thank You".
But that is a little changed now. People have changed the last couple of decades, for the worse.
For many people is WWII only a movie event.
They don't even know, many Americans gave their lives to liberate our country.
I think when you got back here, you almost wouldn't recognize the places you've been.

Now I'm getting sentimental here. Crying-into-tissue
Post Reply Post Reply
A new beginning LOl. Well after having 3 surgerys(both knees replaced due to arthritis , prostate cancer)I have been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea...about a month ago. So far I only had 1 Dr look at me and he only wanted me to say"AHHH". So he's fired now!!!

Since then I went back to my family Dr and told her the whole story. Now I've switched and I guess for the most part I'm on my own. Haven't seen my Dr yet but I finally got my "stuff" from Apria ( insurance covers it). The rep has been to my house 2 times within the last 2 weeks. Have a Respironics Remstar c-plus with humidifier. Plus a Quatro FX mask. I almost threw the mask in the garbage after the first week.Switched to a somewhat different mask.Amara gel.Also full face.But had to switch last night back to the Quatro(too many leaks) like WTH. Found a card in the back. Said something about sleepmapper(what a joke). Finally downloaded a program only to find out NOTHING is on the card.(Go Figure) maybe tomorrow there will be because I entered some info LOL. So there you have it. Will post updates soon I hope.
Post Reply Post Reply
The dialect is part of why I went to the trouble of specifying that I had study German as Hoch Deutsch, since the dialect (dee-ah-lect) was still quite prevalent in Germany as well. Almost every town had a nearly distinct language in parallel to the national language.

I am sure the Nederlanders were helping me to speak the equivalent of "hoog nederlands" if that is not an oxymoron (i.e. high low-land Smile )

I never got very far with the language itself; it was just that I got very far with the language Wink

It was pretty much my expectation that today, few of the young people would remember what happened in 1944 -- far more surprising was how many of them remembered gratefully in 1974.

They showed their gratitude to those older Americans Paratroopers by being kind and friendly to me.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
:grin: Hi all ! Just thought I'd say hi to everyone I have been in the process of getting my cpap machine for over 6 months have had a loaner cpap from my RT up till 2months ago when they switched me too a BiPAP . I have COPD I was a heavy smoker up until just over a year ago when I quit in Nov of 2012 . I JUst received my ADP(I live in Canada) and pick up my BiPAP on Friday . GrinGrin
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2014, 10:15 PM)herbm Wrote: The dialect is part of why I went to the trouble of specifying that I had study German as Hoch Deutsch, since the dialect (dee-ah-lect) was still quite prevalent in Germany as well. Almost every town had a nearly distinct language in parallel to the national language.

I am sure the Nederlanders were helping me to speak the equivalent of "hoog nederlands" if that is not an oxymoron (i.e. high low-land Smile )

I never got very far with the language itself; it was just that I got very far with the language Wink

It was pretty much my expectation that today, few of the young people would remember what happened in 1944 -- far more surprising was how many of them remembered gratefully in 1974.

They showed their gratitude to those older Americans Paratroopers by being kind and friendly to me.

I think you do very well so far writing Dutch.

Now, Amsterdam is one of the most dangerous places to go to. Especially for tourists.
People have less money, and life is more expensive. Bad things will happen then.

Many kids in school today don't know what WWII was about.
People who forget the past tend to repeat it.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.