Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New here
New here
As newly diagnosed and treated, I've enjoyed browsing this site! Lots of helpful information Smile

I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea (26 epidsode/hr) just before Christmas. Since then I've completed a 30 day test run with a machine and just purchased my own. The trial period went really well and my AHI is consistently below 1 ! My pressure is 6.

Despite needing a full face mask (F&P Simplus), I've adjusted really well. The mask doesn't bother nearly as much as I expected and because the improvement has been so drastic it has been easy to stick with it. (My only complaint is that I have sensitive skin and the mask leaves red marks.)

I'm a 33 yr old, shift working mom of 5 little people and have been chronically exhausted for as long as I can remember... When I finally mentioned it to my doctor she suggested a sleep study and it turns out I was getting 0% REM sleep and only 5% deep sleep. It felt so great to find out the reasoning behind the cloudy fog I've been living in, frequent headaches, and bone-weary fatigue. However, since beginning treatment, the difference is incredible! My husband can't believe the difference either.
I still find I'm really tired by the afternoon, but I think I'm working at restoring a massive sleep deficit. Day by day I am feeling better - clearer thinking, more energetic, etc.

Look forward to learning more!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New here
(03-01-2015, 12:43 AM)snowdrop Wrote: As newly diagnosed and treated, I've enjoyed browsing this site! Lots of helpful information Smile

I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea (26 epidsode/hr) just before Christmas. Since then I've completed a 30 day test run with a machine and just purchased my own. The trial period went really well and my AHI is consistently below 1 ! My pressure is 6.

Despite needing a full face mask (F&P Simplus), I've adjusted really well. The mask doesn't bother nearly as much as I expected and because the improvement has been so drastic it has been easy to stick with it. (My only complaint is that I have sensitive skin and the mask leaves red marks.)

I'm a 33 yr old, shift working mom of 5 little people and have been chronically exhausted for as long as I can remember... When I finally mentioned it to my doctor she suggested a sleep study and it turns out I was getting 0% REM sleep and only 5% deep sleep. It felt so great to find out the reasoning behind the cloudy fog I've been living in, frequent headaches, and bone-weary fatigue. However, since beginning treatment, the difference is incredible! My husband can't believe the difference either.
I still find I'm really tired by the afternoon, but I think I'm working at restoring a massive sleep deficit. Day by day I am feeling better - clearer thinking, more energetic, etc.

Welcome to the board.

Please fill in your equipment on your profile. In particular, we need to know what machine you have. If you have problems, tell us EVERYTHING it says on the top panel of the machine.

If you have the right machine, there are some more things you can do.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Snowdrop, welcome to Apnea Board.

It's great to hear that your therapy is going well, and with 5 little ones you'll need all the rest you cant get! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome snowdrop, where are the red marks coming from? The straps or the mask itself, if it's the straps try loosening them a small bit at a time or try wrapping material around were they mark your face. If it's the mask, have you tried mask liners? They help with marks and leaks. You can buy them over the net or I can send you instructions on how to mak them yourself. The other thing I find helps is having the hose coming from above your head not by your side, this pulls the mask up rather than down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 12:43 AM)snowdrop Wrote: As newly diagnosed and treated, I've enjoyed browsing this site! Lots of helpful information Smile

Welcome to the Board! I am new around here also. You have all my admiration, 5 little people to care for! We only have one and I was starting to feel totally unfit, feeling so tired and trying to avoid any activity not absolutely necessary! I am otherwise healthy, heck, I only take aspirin or ibuprofen very occasionally, and was starting to fear I had some sort of serious undetected malignancy because it was not normal that I just felt so exhausted. Everything had been a major effort for a long time and a few months it got so bad, I went to the doctor and had every possible referral written out! After diagnosis, I felt so good during the titration study I actually wanted to stay longer and go back to sleep! Before that I just figured it was not worth it since I would end up waking up just as tired anyway! Thank God for coffee! Good luck to you on your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
snowdrop,
It is important to fill out your profile, then when you have questions, it will be much easier to get the help you need. And if you can, download the Sleepyhead software.
Welcome
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the success so far!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi snowdrop,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you are doing so well with your CPAP therapy, CONGRATULATIONS.!
Now you can really feel like chasing the little ones around, (Ha-Ha.)
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 05:45 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome snowdrop, where are the red marks coming from? The straps or the mask itself, if it's the straps try loosening them a small bit at a time or try wrapping material around were they mark your face. If it's the mask, have you tried mask liners? They help with marks and leaks. You can buy them over the net or I can send you instructions on how to mak them yourself. The other thing I find helps is having the hose coming from above your head not by your side, this pulls the mask up rather than down.

The marks are from the mask, diagonal below my eyes. Mostly on the left side.

I'll have to see what I can find about liners - this is the first I've heard of them!

Good tip about the hose. I usually have it to the side (interesting the right side though?). Tonight I'll try to keep it above me.

Thanks for the tips!

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2015, 07:48 AM)Mich Wrote: Welcome to the Board! I am new around here also. You have all my admiration, 5 little people to care for! We only have one and I was starting to feel totally unfit, feeling so tired and trying to avoid any activity not absolutely necessary! I am otherwise healthy, heck, I only take aspirin or ibuprofen very occasionally, and was starting to fear I had some sort of serious undetected malignancy because it was not normal that I just felt so exhausted. Everything had been a major effort for a long time and a few months it got so bad, I went to the doctor and had every possible referral written out! After diagnosis, I felt so good during the titration study I actually wanted to stay longer and go back to sleep! Before that I just figured it was not worth it since I would end up waking up just as tired anyway! Thank God for coffee! Good luck to you on your therapy!

Your story sounds very similar to mine! I was wondering if I was depressed, we did find out I was extremely anemic, but I was so worn out something had to have been wrong... I'm glad you got things sorted out too!

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.