Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New here... And a very short poll...
RE: New here... And a very short poll...
Whitjr,
For me, it only took about a week to get used to the machine. I was lucky in finding a mask I liked from the start. I spent at least 7 years not knowing I had sleep apnea, but once on the machine, it was like night and day.

First night, I slept 6 hours straight through. I deceided then and there that I would and could stick with it. There is no other alternative that makes sense.

I've been at this for six months now. Still have my ups and downs, but it will only get better.

My AHI is usually 1.5 or under (today .4). Still have a few things to tweak, but will never give up.

I like my machine so much now, that I'm thinking of giving it a name.
Anyone else here do that? :grin:

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oohh! We need a poll! Do you have a name for your machine and what is it? (dangerously asking, why?)
Post Reply Post Reply
No name yet! This will take some thought. Like naming a child. Smile
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's easy... You just have to focus on who you would like watching over you all night:

George Clooney? Maybe so.
Dr. House? Probably not.

Robert De Niro? Yeah, might be fine.
Whoopi Goldberg? No, don't think so.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my story: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post #545

I've also had a night or two where the mask was off.
I've also pulled the tube lose from the elbow at the quick connect... and I turned the mask alert on the next night for just such events and have been beeped at by the machine at least once since then !
I'm finally starting to sleep on my side and belly... woke up a few times holding my mask on my face - kind-of-freaky to have a hand on your face - but then realize that it's my hand! Oh-jeez

Told my oldest child yesterday that I couldn't stand the mask and was going to stop using the machine ( just pulling her leg) - she looks at me and says Hammer absolutely not - you have more patience - you don't get as angry as you use to...
Have a child tell you that - if I wasn't already willing to endure this nuisance, that alone would have been enough to make me stick with the the therapy.

Give it time, as my Mom used to say, "this too shall pass."

Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done Sleeping Dragon!

For various nerdy reasons in my household I'm thinking of naming my machine GLaDOS. And humming along to "Still Alive" (aka the cake song). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

(This is from the game Portal. The DOS that is running you through the system (to get to the cake), turns out to not be your friend. Very dry humour.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Adjusting to sleep apnea therapy has a lot to do with motivation. In my case, I started out from day one getting a good night's sleep because of what my sleep center doc told me was the alternative: Not surviving the night. While this may not really be the case, the motivation factor was definitely there.

Now, after being on cpap therapy for over 20 years, I cannot get to sleep without the machine. oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 11:56 PM)PollCat Wrote: Adjusting to sleep apnea therapy has a lot to do with motivation. In my case, I started out from day one getting a good night's sleep because of what my sleep center doc told me was the alternative: Not surviving the night. While this may not really be the case, the motivation factor was definitely there.

Now, after being on cpap therapy for over 20 years, I cannot get to sleep without the machine. oldman

WOW! PollCat,
Just curious....how many machines have you used in that 20+ years? I imagine you've seen a ton of changes. We should take a Poll! Smile

Whitjr,
My motivation was/is similar to PollCat's.........My Sleep Doctor told me he didn't expect me to be alive 5 years from now! I believe he was serious, so I think of that statement whenever I feel like I just don't want to wear this stupid mask anymore.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 10:00 PM)trailrider Wrote: Well done Sleeping Dragon!

For various nerdy reasons in my household I'm thinking of naming my machine GLaDOS. And humming along to "Still Alive" (aka the cake song). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

(This is from the game Portal. The DOS that is running you through the system (to get to the cake), turns out to not be your friend. Very dry humour.)

Great name!

Post Reply Post Reply
I sh*t you not, it took me one night, because being without it sucked. My problems are 1. Because I need a FFM, and I am a side/tummy sleeper, I have to wear the mask a bit tighter than I probably should, and I usually see lines on my face in the morning; they fade in a couple of hours, and I call them mask dimples. 2. Dry mouth. 3. Aerophagia; and though it has not been painful, toot toot toot, belch belchy belch.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 465 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [CPAP] Short Duration Cpap Usage Myeung 3 490 06-27-2023, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Should I avoid CPAP for short time after tonsillectomy? Labromaniac 10 2,542 06-17-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  Short tubing for ResMed Air 10 - reduced rainout? morpheus1958 3 923 05-28-2022, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  new contec 50F finger probes short lifespan? cathyf 2 638 05-04-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.