Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New here and going to get a new maching
New here and going to get a new maching
I saw the doctor Monday and he has ordered a machine for me. It will be rented from a national company, the same one that now provides my ox machine.
It will be Bpap, he told me that it is what i need rather than a cpap.
he wanted me to go for a third sleep study but i refused, two bad nights like that were enough to do me....
They are suppose to be here around one pm to set it up...any advice for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New here and going to get a new maching
Bilevel positive air pressure machines (BPAP), come in two flavors; auto and fixed. There are two major manufacturers, and a bunch of newcomers, so you should be looking at either Philips Respironics or Resmed machines. I would outright walk away from anything made in China or Taiwan. Both the Philips and Resmed machines work well. In the Philips lineup, the machines are either Dreamstation BiPAP Pro or BiPAP Auto. You may also be offered a System One 60 Series Pro or Auto, which is the previous generation of machines. For Resmed, you will get the Aircurve 10 S or the Aircurve 10 Vauto. Again, you may be offered the discontinued S9 VPAP series. Nothing wrong with the older generation machines, you should just be aware they are both discontinued and a newer model is out there. All of these machines are offered with integrated humidifiers and optional heated hoses which prevent condensation and improve comfort.

In general, an auto bilevel is easier to setup and fine-tune that a fixed bilevel. An auto is capable of fixed mode. Like regular CPAP machines an auto bilevel costs a bit more than fixed and you are more likely to be offered a fixed bilevel unless your doctor's prescription specified auto. Inquire with your doctor's office and indicate you would like an auto bilevel, even if his prescription is currently fixed. This will help you avoid future sleep studies since the machine can help titrate your needs as they change.

Before you go to pick up a machine, ask exactly what is going to be dispensed by manufacturer and model. I would personally not even go to the appointment without that knowledge. If you are not satisfied with what is to be dispensed, you have the right of refusal and can find an alternative in-network DME of your choice. You do not have to accept your doctor's choice of provider, and since it is a major national like Apria or Lincare, I would already be looking for a better option as a contingency. In other words, find out what provider companies are in your network that you can use in lieu of the big nationals, and check their reviews and ratings. A list should be available for your area from your insurance provider.

Edit: I just noticed you have a home meeting scheduled for today. It is going to seem like you must accept what they bring. It is still up to you to understand what you are getting, and decide if that is acceptable, or refuse it. If it is not one of the brands I mentioned above (Philips Respironics or Resmed), refuse delivery.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
2 things to be aware of:

1) the machine - they all operate about the same. They provide air pressures. Some have different settings than others so you can adjust how quickly those pressures change, or how much at one time they change. Things like that are considered "comfort settings" and can make a difference in how the pressures feel to you. Whatever machine they provide for you, ask specifically if the data is recorded on an SD card. You can let the forum know what the make and model of the machine is, and we can tell you how to see what gets recorded on that card so you can monitor your progress.

2) the mask - you'll need a mask, and this is probably the more important piece of the package. If it doesn't fit right, you'll lose sleep and lose a lot of the effectiveness of the xPAP. Everyone has a different face, and everyone has their own way of sleeping (back, side, whatever) that makes a difference in how well a mask will seal. Try a mask for a while and don't be afraid to ask for a different one if you find yourself fighting it, but give yourself time to get used to a mask before you ask for a different one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the great advice, i am happy to learn about this. This is a great group, i was so happy to find it. *smile*
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New and got my new machine
Hello" i got my new machine, it is a Philips Respironics Dream station auto CPAP...with Simplus mask....looks good to me....I think it is going to work fine.*smile* thanks again for the info..Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi David44142,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with your home appointment for your machine and I hope you get an auto-biLevel.
I look forward to hearing more.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New and got my new machine
(09-29-2016, 01:20 PM)David44142 Wrote: Hello" i got my new machine, it is a Philips Respironics Dream station auto CPAP...with Simplus mask....looks good to me....I think it is going to work fine.*smile* thanks again for the info..Dave

Can't help you with the mask, I've never tried that one. It's a full-face, as you know by now. There are other styles that just cover your nose (nasal masks), and others that have small cushions that just cover your nostrils (nasal pillows). The trick is going to be adjusting the straps. When you lay down, or tip your head, or shift your position, you'll end up creating a leak and your first response will be to tighten the straps. Tighten only as little as possible.

The machine is the same one I have - it's a good one. It will record *everything* onto that SD card in the side. This forum will have a lot of information on Sleepyhead reporting software. SH will be able to read the data off that card and display all kinds of charts and graphs, even down to each single breath you took all night. You'll be able to monitor your progress with it.

Welcome aboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first night with new machine went well except it did awaken me twice from too much pressure, once i sae 16.5 and once 15.5 pressure. both times i hit the ramp button to reduce pressure and went back to sleep..i know that is not the purpose of ramp but that i how i used it....did get a good nights sleeep.. *smile*
Post Reply Post Reply
Well not quite a BPAP, but a good machine. With a range of 7-16 you will want to start narrowing in on the most effective pressure range. This may include reducing the maximum or increasing the minimum. #Sleepyhead will help you to make the right decisions by showing you what is triggering the pressure increases, and letting you keep track of how well the PAP is working for you. Dont be in a rush to make any changes, but start now to install and get familiar with the software.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more thing, get a paper copy of your prescription, and your sleep study for your permanent records. You will be using this equipment for a long time, and will eventually need to replace it. You may or may not still have a relationship with your current doctor then. I used my 2008 sleep study in January this year (2016) to obtain my new equipment and get insurance coverage. You don't like sleep studies, so it pays to have a copy you can use for as long as you feel those findings are applicable. I hope never to repeat a clinical sleep study, and those records are the key.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Refurbishing a used maching 3rdMarDiv 4 964 01-30-2020, 09:35 AM
Last Post: 3rdMarDiv

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.