Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ultra high AHI with new machine
RE: Ultra high AHI with new machine
I looked at the graph and maybe bucking the trend here but instead of bipaps etc i would switch from a FFM to a nasal mask.

I base this on my and my wifes experience with both. On FFM my top pressure has to be 18 and I will still have clusters at times. AHI will never go under 2

On FFM my wife needs a top pressure of 16 and will hit the ceiling on occasion. AhI will never go under 1.5

On a nasal mask not pillows my top pressure never goes above 12 and usually never goes above 10. AHI drops to .3 to .6.

wifes drops to max of 9 ahi 0 to .5.

Leak rates run with either well within limits actually quite low.

Not everyone can use a nasal. I was told I would never be able too by the Doc and sleep lab. But I do use one with a chinstrap every night and keep a Simplus FFM as a back up for when I have a very very bad cold and to congested for a nasal though that is rare.

My two cents is if you can use a nasal mask go to one and itll likely dramatically improve your numbers and drop your max pressures.

Recommend a F&P Eson personally but masks are personal things. Example alot of folks swear by the Mirage FFM. All ive ever seen one do to me or my wife or two of my friends was make a huge sore on the bridge of their nose, on my wife in one night adjusted very loosely, that took two weeks to heal up while using a simplus FFM instead.

yet others swear by them so as I said what brand of mask works for me may not work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2015, 08:19 AM)readyforsleep Wrote:
[quote='readyforsleep' pid='99508' dateline='1423091081']
Your graphs look alot like mine when I was using a full face mask. I discovered I was sleeping on my back
so I now wear a backpack filled with a empty Liquid Tide bottle and I am now using nasal pillows. The full face mask
Had a low back strap that was cutting off my airflow. Now I am a happy camper with ahi's under 3. I was convinced I neede a bipap machine to get enough pressure. Now I average 16.
Hope this helps

[Interesting solution. I'll consider doing something like that to keep off my back. I would like to try nasal pillows as my neck hurts so much from keeping the straps tight to prevent air leaks]

Yes, definitely try the backpack. I bought a small one at walmarts for $3, I dont even realize it is on. Also try not to tighten the back strap too tight. The fact that your neck hurts, makes me think that the mask is part of the problem.
I also found I did much better on a narrow pressure range. Given an open range, I always end up maxing out. Now I keep the pressure between 14 -17.
Are you on the small side with a narrow neck?

[on the contrary, the opposite on both counts. thanks for continued advice.]

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fede,
Good for you keeping at it! I am a newbie and topography isn't my strong suit, but does your being in Colorado and higher elevation play into this at all? I expect you had your test at the same elevation in which case it wouldn't affect your settings and maybe Grand Junction isn't high (see topography lack) Just thought I'd mention it.

Susan
The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2015, 09:04 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: Hi Fede,
Good for you keeping at it! I am a newbie and topography isn't my strong suit, but does your being in Colorado and higher elevation play into this at all? I expect you had your test at the same elevation in which case it wouldn't affect your settings and maybe Grand Junction isn't high (see topography lack) Just thought I'd mention it.

Susan
The Manse Hen

[Apparently altitude is not affecting me. Grand Junction Colorado is on the Western slope and the altitude is 5000+ feet. Yes I was tested at this altitude too. I've heard that when you exceed 8000 feet, there needs to be adjustments. I have to say, it's almost four months and I'm getting used to using it.]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,435 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 218 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.