Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New here, many questions!
New here, many questions!
Hello. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. It's causing problems for my partner (and, thus, me!) and I'm needing to find solutions pronto. I have not used a CPAP machine before. I am scheduled for a sleep study (long story, but the aforementioned diagnosis was years ago in another state and can't be accepted by my current providers) but that is way down the road and I need help NOW.

I'm more than willing to try a CPAP machine, and am looking for info/advice on if and how I might bypass the medical process and just get one. Is this possible? If so, I'm looking for advice.

Additionally, I'm looking for info and guidance on any and all non-machine related solutions. Pillows, masks, humidifiers... I'm open to anything. I just now signed up here and will search to see if there are existing threads that might help.

What I've tried: 

Chin straps. Didn't work.

Mouth insert (can't remember the brand name). Didn't work, falls out as soon as I get into deep sleep.

Nasal strips. Nope.

Sleeping on my side. I just roll over onto my back once asleep.

I've looked into pillows that strap on and supposedly keep you from rolling over, but user reviews are not encouraging.

I look forward to your responses! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New here, many questions!
for your interim measure, I would recommend an actual small backpack with the pillow inside if the snoring is sufficiently positional.  You likely cannot get it off and roll onto you back without waking up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to give you ideas.

Check your local craigslist and other online marketplaces. This morning I saw a zero hours ResMed Aircurve 11 on Spokane craigslist for $300. (That is a top of the line machine, someone is going to get a deal.)

As far as preventing back sleeping, some report success with Pitt a tennis ball in a sock, and sewing it on the back of their PJs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I looked for that unit on CL and FB Marketplace, didn't get so lucky! There was a ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset for sale, new in box and apparently unused, for $700, but that's a lot to drop for me. Is it OK for people to recommend machines on this forum? I'm ready to spend $3-400 to try it and see if it can work for me, but $700 seems crazy considering I might not take to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
MrKwanDo;
     $700.00 is a good price for an Airsense 11 Auto set .. New unopened box 
are about $990.00 to over $1500.00 ..  I use a AS 11 Autoset ..
From what I have read Airsense 10 and 11 are Resmeds Top of the line Cpaps ..
They are very similar ..  If You buy an Airsense machine most people will tell 
You to make sure it is the Autoset model ..  The other Airsense model aren't as 
 versatile .. 
     Good luck ..  Do Your research ..  Steve
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,595 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.