Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New humidifiers gradually evaporating les water
New humidifiers gradually evaporating les water
I purchased a new Respironics BiPap Auto Bi-Flex last fall to replace my BiPap Pro. Like my BiPap Pro, the humidifier emptied the water tank in 8 hours of sleep when I set it on 5, the highest humidity level. Gradually, over a couple of months, the humidifier evaporated less and less water until it emptied only half the tank in 8 hours, even though the setting remained on 5. I felt the heater plate first thing in the morning and it did not feel as warm as my old BiPap Pro. As a result of less evaporation, my nose, mouth and throat were very dry in the morning and my throat is sore during the day.

So I returned the humidifier for repair. In the meantime, I returned to using my BiPap Pro. Even though it evaporated the whole tank and got rid of the dryness, it was not as comfortable to use as the Auto.

So I ordered a second Auto as I wanted a back up unit.

Sure enough, the same thing has happened with this new unit. The humidifier emptied the whole tank at first (goodbye dry nose, mouth and sore throat!), but gradually over a month or so it progressed to emptying just half the tank, and the dryness and sore throat has come back.

In the meantime, the distributor has assured me that the humidifier I sent for repair is in perfectly normal condition. They could not find anything wrong with it.

Has anyone had a similar problem, where their humidifier empties the whole tank overnight at first, but gradually drops down to emptying only half the tank?

The distributor sent me a stand alone humidifier as a loaner to use while they looked at the one I returned, and even on the very lowest setting it empties the entire tank. The heater plate feels much warmer than the one on the BiPap Auto.

The distributor calls this Auto machine the 60 series--although I don't see that anywhere in the manual.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New humidifiers gradually evaporating les water
it is my understanding that the new units have a system of sensors that detect air pressure and humidity in the air and adjust themselves accordingly. and yes mine is doing the same as yours as well, mine is a resmed, will have to work out how to set things more manually, it has 3 settings for the humidifier, it is on auto now, but has a manual and patient setting as well. not sure what the dif is. want to find out but not had the time yet to look it up

your unit should have a way to turn off the auto adjust setting as well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi apnea711,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 02:23 PM)space45 Wrote: it is my understanding that the new units have a system of sensors that detect air pressure and humidity in the air and adjust themselves accordingly. and yes mine is doing the same as yours as well, mine is a resmed, will have to work out how to set things more manually, it has 3 settings for the humidifier, it is on auto now, but has a manual and patient setting as well. not sure what the dif is. want to find out but not had the time yet to look it up

Thank you for your response, but my unit does not have an auto setting. Humidity level is set manually and mine is on the highest level. Don't understand why the evaporation has dropped to half of what it was before.

Post Reply Post Reply
As new as your units are, they do have compensated humidification. The default is that's it's on even if you don't have the heated hose. You can turn it off but you have to do that in the clinician menu.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 01:13 PM)apnea711 Wrote: Has anyone had a similar problem, where their humidifier empties the whole tank overnight at first, but gradually drops down to emptying only half the tank?
Not quite full tank but when started out PAP, water level used to drop down to the bottom, now not much water used
Higher humidifier setting and leaks uses more water

Post Reply Post Reply
like BAMA said above, all the new ones have this auto mode, and it can be turned off, instead of setting moisture levels you set temp, mine has a adjustment up to 6, 6 what I am not sure but I do know it is a moisture level thing, and is based on air pressure and moisture and a few other things. the idea is for it to auto adjust to varying climate changes like summer and winter, hot and cold, dry air or wet air. some how it combine all that data and come up with some sort of auto adjust compensating adjustment to tank temp.

if you ask me it sucks, but when I read the specs on it I had to have it, it sounded wonderful, I would give it a failing grade at this time, but then I have not yet tried the other settings but like you the tank level some time is very high and my nose and mouth in the morn is very dry. to say I am not impressed would not cover it.

for sure the other setting will be being tried.

you will need to find out the magic button pushes to get to the main setup menu and change this setting, it is not in your user setting options

hope this helps

(04-06-2014, 04:08 PM)apnea711 Wrote:
(04-06-2014, 02:23 PM)space45 Wrote: it is my understanding that the new units have a system of sensors that detect air pressure and humidity in the air and adjust themselves accordingly. and yes mine is doing the same as yours as well, mine is a resmed, will have to work out how to set things more manually, it has 3 settings for the humidifier, it is on auto now, but has a manual and patient setting as well. not sure what the dif is. want to find out but not had the time yet to look it up

Thank you for your response, but my unit does not have an auto setting. Humidity level is set manually and mine is on the highest level. Don't understand why the evaporation has dropped to half of what it was before.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 02:23 PM)space45 Wrote: it has 3 settings for the humidifier, it is on auto now, but has a manual and patient setting as well. not sure what the dif is.
Auto/Manual http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Patient: Climate Control settings displayed in 'patient' setup menu' if set to 'patient' in the clinical setup menu' and if ClimateLine is connected

Post Reply Post Reply
all I have is the rain drop, and is far as I know it is set to auto.
no % anything and no temp adjust as well. I poked at it for some time trying to change to temp or something other them 1 to 6 with only the rain drop.

how do I set it to % humidity? or even setting the temp?
I am lost

well I just went and tried every thing I can think of and it will only show the rain drop and I can only set it from off to 6, I set it to patient and to manual and no difference at all, it has the slim line hose on, does it need the heated hose for any of the other setting to show up? I should be able to set % humidity and temp, all I get is this off to 6 thing and a rain drop showing, not happy right now.

(04-06-2014, 06:19 PM)zonk Wrote:
(04-06-2014, 02:23 PM)space45 Wrote: it has 3 settings for the humidifier, it is on auto now, but has a manual and patient setting as well. not sure what the dif is.
Auto/Manual http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Patient: Climate Control settings displayed in 'patient' setup menu' if set to 'patient' in the clinical setup menu' and if ClimateLine is connected

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 06:32 PM)space45 Wrote: all I have is the rain drop, and is far as I know it is set to auto.
no % anything and no temp adjust as well. I poked at it for some time trying to change to temp or something other them 1 to 6 with only the rain drop.
ClimateLine
[Image: img_climatelinetube.jpg]

Temp settings only available if Climateine (heated hose) is connected

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.