Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New in this forum. [Snowy2020] Need help to understand the graphs and adjust therapy
RE: New in this forum. [Snowy2020] Need help to understand the graphs and adjust therapy
Hi,

here is my first night with a cervical collar....it DID make a difference as far as I can see. Now to convince my doctor to write a script for the resmed air sense. Should I continue with APAP or revert to CPAP?

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New in this forum. [Snowy2020] Need help to understand the graphs and adjust therapy
Insurance does not really differentiate between CPAP and APAP. The real dirty secret is the Airsense 10 machines are really BiPAP, which is why we think it will work to resolve your flow limits and related arousals and hypopnea. Getting an Autoset makes the most sense, even if you use it in a fixed pressure mode. It just has more flexibility. If you opt for CPAP, be sure to specify the Elite CPAP which has data, the Airsense 10 CPAP machine has no data and is definitely not recommended.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about which one to buy from your last sentence. I am buying it myself and not going through insurance, but presumably I need a script from the doc.

I believe this is the one you are recommending, please confirm:

ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that is the one I insisted on for my wife, and you deserve it too. Supplier #2 has a good price on that machine, gently used at $389 and brand new at $539. If you already have a machine and your old script or any correspondence like paperwork that came with your last machine, you won't need a new prescription with them. They can also call your doctor's office to get the authorization. No appointment necessary.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A disappointing night with a cervical collar, which seemed to feel comfortable throughout the night....maybe I should go back to cpap?

Post Reply Post Reply
Well there are a couple intense clusters of apnea. There is apparently some way you fount to obstruct the airway, and it really doesn't matter how high pressure is when that happens.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ,

Had my highest RERA number last night and I was using the cervical collar, I did not think it was too loose or too tight, but should I keep using it?

I ordered my Resmed airsense 10 yesterday, and based on my trail of posts, what should be my settings? Also CPAP or APAP?

By the way, if this is important, I am a mouth breather who is and has been a successful mouth taper for 10 years (with a backup battery, of course)

You comments and info are much appreciated, as always in the quest to get a good night's sleep. 

The attachment does not have the flow, as I forgot to put in the chip back into the machine last night till this morning, and it seems to do that for some reason.

Post Reply Post Reply
Start at 11-16, EPR full-time at 3. Your collar is not working, and I think a different style or height might be needed. Very hard to tell from here, but you need to support the back of the jaw to have a comfortable fit that does not squeeze your neck and still keeps your chin from tucking.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion is to keep trying with a cervical collar. They are not all the same. Different sizes are available for both height and adjustable diameter. Some are a LOT more comfortable than others. With some collars, I can feel rough stitching or even velcro edges rubbing on my neck, and that is not acceptable. One collar feels extremely comfortable on my skin, and perfectly supports the entire jaw, and not just the chin in front. It should fit slightly loose for comfort but still provide the support you need to stop chin tucks. As I slightly wake and roll over at night, I've developed an "awareness" of my chin position. I almost subconsciously "reset" my neck/collar position on the pillow as needed. After wearing a soft collar, I have much less neck pain during the day and night, which is a huge bonus. The collar I really like is an inexpensive Walgreens collar. It is very smooth inside, and it comes with a protective sleeve which makes it easier to clean. If you get a backup, you can put the collar/sleeve that needs cleaning in the washing machine and dry on low heat.

I also highly recommend experimenting with a CPAP pillow as I think it helps with good neutral positioning of the neck and chin. I love my Pur-Sleep CPAPfit (Google it) pillow which is customizable with provided buckwheat hulls and shredded foam. You fill your own pillow mix ratio for comfort and you can dial in your perfect fit. The CPAPfit pillow will have a smaller footprint than most pillows and will likely be less "thick" than the ones you may be used to. That's a good thing when it comes to good neck positioning. I'm a side sleeper, and the CPAPfit works great for me with a full face cushion mask (ResMed F30i). Hope that didn't sound to much like a commercial.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I finally received my ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier and put in the settings that were recommended, and I am quite pleased with the results of the first night, thanks to you.

I have attached some graphs and would appreciate any fine tuning adjustments that I could make to improve more. As always, many thanks for your help.

[attachment=26951]

Paul
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 23 939 25 minutes ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 5 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,366 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.