Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New(ish) user. Need general help!
New(ish) user. Need general help!
Hey Everyone! I am back again from my first post about 8 months ago...I think, in my mind that feels right..lol! I was having major issues with central apneas. You advised me to puchase a new style of machine that is a step up from a bipap machine. unfortunately, I am on a fixed budget and I couldn't afford to do that. instead, I scheduled another drs. appointment for 4 months later. The waiting time in my area is insane, and I feel that is a huge part of the struggles in my story. When I did finally get to the dr. I told him what you guys said and he immediately took a stand-offish tone as if I was calling him not good at his job or something like that. He said there was no way he could do that without scheduling another sleep study. I am still paying on the $2800 dollars of my own money for a sleep study that the insurance company didnt cover. the sleep study was only two years ago and I cant keep putting myself into debt for less than ideal results. I will start saving for the machine like you told me too. I asked him to at least write me a prescription for a new bipap machine which he did. 

This year I was gifted an apple watch for christmas. In a couple of weeks of wearing it, I quickly saw that my oxygen levels were getting down to 85% pretty regurly while I was sleeping. I began to take iron supplements which didn't seem to have much of an effect on the levels. I bought an oximeter off of amazon and compared the two readings to make sure my iwatch wasn't just off. I further checked it at a counselors office. it seems to be correct. i scheduled an appointment for a different sleep doctor but its still 6 months out.

Through a sad event of a close friend passing, I came into ownership of a oxygen producing machine. I bought the tee piece and started running about 2l of oxygen into my mask at night. The effect was noticable the first night. I had much more enrgey during the day, and I thought a lot clearer. My ahi reading which had been in the teens, went much lower. I was able to get it down to below five each night when I got it tuned in with the machine. 

It seems the lower I go with my machine pressures, the lower my ahi reading goes. The only problem is that it seems that I sometimes feel starved for air pressure and rip off the mask in the middle of the night. 

My counselor says this is a bad idea becasuse a doctor should be doing it. Can I get some advice on whether this is safe. Could it be possible i dont need bipap at night just the oxygen, thats why the lower my pressures are, the lower my ahi?  I will still save up for the fancier machine if this doesn't work and i thnk you in advance!

Also, can someone point me to the directions on how to upload my sleep files so that maybe somebody can finetune my machine for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New(ish) user. Need general help!
No one answered so I will try. OSCAR the the program we use. It is a free download - in fact everything here is free. It is available at the top of the site. 

After getting OSCAR you will need a Sd card in your machine and have it in for a night. Downloading the files is very easy. All you have to do is put the card in your computer and when you start the program pick the welcome menu if it is not already up. Then click on the icon of the sd card 

Only other thing you need to do is select the correct path and directory your card is in. 

That’s about it. Here is a link about OSCAR

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New(ish) user. Need general help!
(04-28-2021, 02:23 PM)jjohnson Wrote: Also, can someone point me to the directions on how to upload my sleep files so that maybe somebody can finetune my machine for me?

Just follow this link to download your data from OSCAR.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

Post a screenshot of the daily page laid out as in the link. Please leave the calendar and pie chart off.

Then use the attachment feature to post your screenshot here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,986 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  General Issues Lusk 3 339 01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia Jen0628jen 4 465 09-14-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: car54
Question [Health] Risking surgery with General Anesthetic henryrootytoot 21 1,597 06-26-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 831 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
Question Can someone give a general idea what is going on here? SleepMonster12 9 1,076 01-17-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: SleepMonster12
  Help interpreting Watchpat and General Advice newuser1002 0 433 01-08-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: newuser1002

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.