Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New - knee surgury, sleeping on back
New - knee surgury, sleeping on back
Hi, I found out I had severe sleep apnea when I had a heart attack and congestive heart failure after having a total knee replacement and went straight to ICU. My sleep study showed obstructive, central and mixed. During the diagnostic portion, my AHI was 61.1. (3 central, 61 obstructive, 13 mixed and 112 hypopneas) The therapeutic portion got it down to AHI of 35.9 (29 centrals, 14 obstructive, 5 mixed and 78 hypopneas). They gave me an S9 resmed elite with a pressure of 17. I am a mouthbreather so I have a full face mask. My AHI has been averaging about 30 and I have been on the cpap for 2 weeks. Because of my knee surgery, I have been stuck sleeping on my back. I really don't mind the mask but I have trouble falling asleep with the pain one night and then the next night I'm overtired. I can't take anything for the pain cause it stops me from breathing. I go to see the pulmonologist tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New
This resonates for me, 15yrs ago. But my surgeries did not start until '09.

Ask you Docs about "Ultram" (tramadol) - perhaps they will allow this med for pain?

I can say that this will settle down and once your body becomes used to CPAP (for many people) the numbers get better.

I realize you are in a bad place right now, and moment to moment it goes from bad, to badder. Dealing with the new knee and CPAP and heart issues all at the same time - I do feel for you. Tis no help, but this too shall pass in time.

Between weekly heart doctor visits for over 2 years (they never tell you how bad you are, but the shorter time between visits, the worse shape you are in) to now, I no longer need to see my heart DOC at all. CPAP helped heal my heart to a point that my resting pulse is no longer at least 122, 70-80 now.

Welcome to the board, many great people will jump in shortly.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New - knee surgury, sleeping on back
Thanks Peter. I'll ask about the Ultram
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gingigingi13,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and your upcoming Dr. Apointment.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2014, 03:41 PM)gingigingi13 Wrote: My AHI has been averaging about 30 and I have been on the cpap for 2 weeks.

I go to see the pulmonologist tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Whats the AHI breakdown of events .... obstructive, central, hypopnea, unknown (if any) and leaks

Best of luck

Post Reply Post Reply
First off, Welcome. I don't understand the reference to the "pain". Are referring to the knee surgery, the heart attack, or the use of the cpap machine?

While I'm not really familiar with any apnea other than obstructive, an S9 Elite does not appear to be the best choice for your symptoms. I'm sure other members of this forum will be able to give you a better understanding as to the type of machine you need.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
gingigingi13, welcome to Apnea Board!

I merged the two identical threads you started and changed the title to be more descriptive of the subject matter.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. The pain is from the knee surgery. Sorry I wasn't clearer. I will check tomorrow morning for the current breakdown, but from memory I think it was mostly obstructive with a few of the others tossed in
And no leaks...or very little. Most nights showed zero
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2014, 04:49 PM)gingigingi13 Wrote: And no leaks...or very little. Most nights showed zero
Are you getting the number from the S9 sleep report?
It can be but not that easy with full face mask and pressure 17

I would unplug the machine just to be sure

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gingaging13,
Welcome to the world of sleep apnea and knee replacements, I had a revision done in April. I had been using CPAP for awhile and have had no problems. I do sleep on a 7 inch wedge, you might want to try one, it might help your breathing. Be sure to Ice and Elevate your knee if you cannot use anything for pain, ice numbs up the area. I use an ice machine with pads for my knee, google ice therapy machines
You can find great support and information for your TKR at bonesmart. A few of us there also have sleep apnea and know what it is like to deal with both.
Good luck, and wishing you an uneventful recovery from your TKR.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 250 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.