Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New machine arriving tomorrow
New machine arriving tomorrow
I'll be receiving my new Res-Med AirSense AutoSet 10 with heated humidifier tomorrow and have questions about setting the pressure.

I have been on a continuous pressure of 12 (prescribed by doctor after sleep study) for several years.  What would be the best range to start with on Auto-CPAP?

Also, what's the benefits of a heated hose?  I've never had one.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New machine arriving tomorrow
If you are used to 12, set auto to 10 min, 20 max. after a week, check the data on your SDCARD with Sleepyhead and see what you have been using.

A heated hose minimizes moisture build-up inside the hose.

Check to see if you have an SD CARD. Apparently, RESMED is no longer including a card. I just received a warranty replacement Autoset 10 and it had no card. Just get a bare-bones 1gb or 2gb card. Larger is not better.
Post Reply Post Reply
To start out, I would suggest using a range of 10-14, which is 2 below and 2 above your pressure of 12. (The lower pressure is more important than the upper pressure). Then after a week or two, you will want to download your machine's data using Sleepyhead. Then, set a new range 2 below and 2 above your 95% pressure. You can also use the 95% pressure as a new fixed pressure if you prefer.

A heated hose is most helpful if you like to sleep in a cool bedroom. It keeps the air at a more comfortable temperature by preventing rainout (condensation). You might not notice a difference if you sleep in a warm bedroom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick replies.

I have never had rainout, as far as I know.  I've used one of the ResMed hose covers for several years.  Maybe that helps?  My new machine did not come with a heated hose, so I'll try it out and see if I think a heated hose would be of benefit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing from continuous to Auto is not the easiest to do for some anyway.
I have just changed over, I find it strange not to have the higher pressure there all the time.
The closer the lower pressure is to what you used to have the easier it is to get used to it.
I would go no lower than 8 and just leave it 16 or 20 for the higher setting.  It should not get to that pressure anyway, unless you have a huge leak!
By the time it gets anywhere near there pressure wise you will be awake anyway.
The advice I got was to leave the high setting 2 to 4 above what I needed.
I have been told the new machine I have will take a week to find my best settings and will adjust accordingly, however, I am a bit sceptical about that.
It is a machine after all.   Thinking-about So far I like it, but I keep getting red faces in the morning, every one except one so far, but that is my own doing knocking the mask off, even the wife managed to do it one night Rolleyes 
But I love the new machine.

Enjoy you new toy, I think you will love it once you get used to it.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi skylark,
I hope you like your new machine.
I would say set your minimum pressure to 10 Cm H2O and your maximum pressure to 14 Cm H2O.
Hang in there for more suggestions and Let us know how things go.
CONGRATULATIONS! on the new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I had my first night with the new ResMed Autoset, and I think all went well.  It actually felt less intrusive than my regular non-auto CPAP.

The machine reports 97% sleep efficiency with .3 incidents/hr.  I set the range from 10 to 16 (two below and two above normal cpap pressure), and didn't notice the machine kicking up to higher pressure while I was asleep.  It is very quiet when operating.

I guess I need to download Sleepyhead and see what it shows?  Or, take what seems to be be acceptable results and carry on?

Thanks to all who gave input.  It really helped!

Thanks

(09-28-2017, 10:28 AM)skylark Wrote: I had my first night with the new ResMed Autoset, and I think all went well.  It actually felt less intrusive than my regular non-auto CPAP.

The machine reports 97% sleep efficiency with .3 incidents/hr.  I set the range from 10 to 16 (two below and two above normal cpap pressure), and didn't notice the machine kicking up to higher pressure while I was asleep.  It is very quiet when operating.

I guess I need to download Sleepyhead and see what it shows?  Or, take what seems to be be acceptable results and carry on?

Thanks to all who gave input.  It really helped!

Thanks

Correction, it is set from 10 to 14.  My normal pressure is 12.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on your excellent results with your new machine!

With those results, I wouldn't worry too much about downloading the data and making adjustments. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it). I would still look at the data at some point, but that's just the techie in me. No rush, though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,166 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Help assessing recent charts, appt. tomorrow (!) Julia63 3 461 08-28-2023, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PLEASE help with settings for ASV coming tomorrow. OSCAR data attached. hopeforusall 41 2,352 06-08-2023, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  Well tomorrow: Ending Therapy Big Guy 4 791 08-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: joepublic23
  Getting My New BiPap Tomorrow Need Help Setting Up jdelcore71 9 1,074 06-14-2022, 11:30 AM
Last Post: jdelcore71
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.