Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New machine+mask=me excited
RE: New machine+mask=me excited
(03-27-2015, 09:53 AM)retired_guy Wrote: I'm more inclined to think it's a pillows issue. What size are you using? If medium or less, go up one size and see how that does. Also, are you using EPR? You might try reducing that by one as well if you are. Finally, hearing yourself breath can sometimes be preferable to not hearing yourself breath, although I've been told that in those circumstances one doesn't actually care anymore.

I am using small pillows, which is what I used at the study. I will try the medium and see how that goes. My EPR is at 2 (old machine was at 3). How does that work...the higher the EPR the easier to exhale?

I do in fact enjoy breathing and would much rather hear myself than the alternative but I would also like to sleep through it Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I believe the medium pillow may help you quite a lot. I use the large, although by all rights I should use a medium. But it's easier for me to breath with a large. I tried a small once. Might as well have been breathing through a brick wall.

The higher the EPR, the easier to breath. What it does is subtract from the inhale pressure to create the exhale pressure. So, if your machine is perking along at 7, and you have an EPR of 3, you get an exhale pressure of 4 (which is the lowest it can go incidentally). At 2, you get an exhale pressure of 5.

I would try the other pillow tonight, and maybe for a couple of nights before you tweak the EPR. I'm running on 3, but some people have trouble adjusting to that much pressure relief. Some even prefer it turned off.

Everyone is different. Except me of course. I'm not different, I'm the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I will try your suggestions for sure.
Aside from the whole hearing myself breathing I am liking having a machine that I can see visually how everything is doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 11:29 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Yes, I believe the medium pillow may help you quite a lot. I use the large, although by all rights I should use a medium. But it's easier for me to breath with a large. I tried a small once. Might as well have been breathing through a brick wall.

The higher the EPR, the easier to breath. What it does is subtract from the inhale pressure to create the exhale pressure. So, if your machine is perking along at 7, and you have an EPR of 3, you get an exhale pressure of 4 (which is the lowest it can go incidentally). At 2, you get an exhale pressure of 5.

I would try the other pillow tonight, and maybe for a couple of nights before you tweak the EPR. I'm running on 3, but some people have trouble adjusting to that much pressure relief. Some even prefer it turned off.

Everyone is different. Except me of course. I'm not different, I'm the same.

I'm the same as you, RG... I moved my EPR from 2 to 3 and am really loving that setting; but then I am different after-all... since I use the extra-smalls on my p-10. I *can* use the small, but it doesn't seal as well since it won't fit up the nostril, just sits on the outside, but it *is* slightly easier to breathe through it. We have dinky noses in my family... My father wears a small, even (p10 also) and trades back and forth between small and med still trying to figure out which one suits best.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi distantdreamer,
It's great to hear that you are enjoying your new machine.
Another thing you could do to quell the noise of your own breath is to get a whitenoise generator and see if that will help.
Much success to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
distantdreamer,
I go back and forth between the size small and extra small pillow. Both work for me, but it is a bit easier to breath with the small. As far as the EPR, which is called A FLEX on my machine, I use the setting of 3. So with my pressure starting at 9, I get a pressure exhale relief setting of 6.
As far as hearing yourself breath, I don't like it either! So I run a fan and a humidifier in my bedroom at night. It is just enough white noise, that I don't hear myself breathing.
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have just experienced this P10 pillow issue. When I got my mask the DME was deciding between small and medium, and then picked small. I used that size for 4 months. Recently I decided to give the large ones a try just for the heck of it. Interestingly the leak rate is similar to the medium ones but the AHI is about 3/4ths of a point lower for the last 10 days. Although they feel big, someone the way the large fills up with air makes a better seal. I was not expecting that outcome.
E25
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 09:02 PM)Elizabeth25 Wrote: I have just experienced this P10 pillow issue. When I got my mask the DME was deciding between small and medium, and then picked small. I used that size for 4 months. Recently I decided to give the large ones a try just for the heck of it. Interestingly the leak rate is similar to the medium ones but the AHI is about 3/4ths of a point lower for the last 10 days. Although they feel big, someone the way the large fills up with air makes a better seal. I was not expecting that outcome.
E25

That's why it is hit or miss with those pillows sizes. I was told to use extra small by my DME! But the size small works better. I think il will try the medium to see if there is a difference. It's a good thing the P10 mask comes with all sizes! Smile
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So... I haven't experimented with the different pillow size just yet, but I did adjust my EPR from 2 to 1 and that seems to have helped with the hearing myself breathing the last two nights. I will be trying out the medium pillows in the near future.

The RT obviously can change the settings remotely if given instruction from the Dr, but can she see when I make changes or can she only see compliance info?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 286 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 703 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine. blakeh36 1 375 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,194 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How do I reduce machine noise with the P30i mask? TiredTom111 3 779 08-07-2023, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,529 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.