Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New machine - setup help please
RE: New machine - setup help please
(02-28-2019, 03:49 PM)bonjour Wrote: Drop your max pressure by 1 and see I if that helps.  Your numbers are excellent.  These changes are more about how you feel

Fred, I think the better option might be increasing EPR to 3. What do you think?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the numbers were worse yes. If no response then epr3. But we are thinking the same
Post Reply Post Reply
So a follow up on the ear pain/drainage issue.

I tried dropping the pressure to 11 for a few nights and my AHI numbers crept up (2.5 ish). The ear issue remained. Next I put the pressure back to 12 and changed the EPR to 2 (was at 1) and the AHI went back down to almost 0 - no change for the ear however. Last night I changed the humidity level from 5 to 4 and there seemed to be a small improvement. I'll leave it for another night or 2 before making further changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
No improvement in the ear pain after a few days of reduced humidity. I am at a loss about how to proceed. The drainage into my throat is a serious problem as it's making me hoarse. I am a professional musician/singer and having an inflamed throat long term is going to be a career killer.

I noticed a comment on another thread about ear pain that having higher EPR (keep pressure more constant) seemed to be helpful but that would put me back where I started with an EPR at 1. These issues began with machine switch so there has to be some pressure related component.

Any suggestions about what changes I could make to improve things?
Post Reply Post Reply
Reviewing your entire thread.

I'd like you to try 2 different things.

First, as SR suggested, try EPR=3.  This is using EPR to treat your flow limitations.  Then post your charts for review.  

if that doesn't work
For comfort reasons I would like you to drop your max pressure way down, (your flow limits will try to raise it to where you are at now)
Set your Max Pressure to 8.  Why, Your original machine, the 760P, was providing pressure at 7.5 (med) for the entire night.  let's try that.  That is a radical change, a MUCH larger change that we normally would ask for.  I'm not sure what that will do for your therapeutic treatment, likely increase your AHI, but let's see if we can help that ear pain some. And, for now leave the EPR at 3 (from the previous night).  (that lowers the pressure for your exhale portion of the breath cycle in addition to treating your flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
And an update. .. I raised the EPR to 3 - no change. Next I tried lowering pressure as suggested - that latest about 2 hours.

Finally I went to see my primary care doc to have my ear examined. Seems I have developed something called eustachian tube dysfunction - fairly common and hopefully treatable with some steroid based nasal sprays. Hopefully it's not related to cpap use.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 79 Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,674 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,938 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,144 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,196 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  New DreamStation 2 setup KSMatthew 7 791 08-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.