Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New mask but chest still tight and flow limitations
New mask but chest still tight and flow limitations
Hello, I have recently changed my mask from a F30 to a F20 with memory foam, my AHI has reduced from 40 to 1-5, leaks are very low to zero.

My details are;

Resmed Airsense 10 Elite
CPAP @ 9.6 H2Omm EPR 2
Under chin neck support pillow
Nasal dilators
Tempur pillow small

However, I am still having intermittent tight chest on waking up in the morning (maybe hyperventilating overnight?) and feeling very spacey and just not with it (gases are out?). I also have reflux so I lie on my left side at the beginning of the night, in the the past I haven't liked lying on my side as my chest doesn't feel right.

I note that I have flow limitations so I think perhaps I might need more pressure, any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New mask but chest still tight and flow limitations
EPR is what we use to lower your flow limits. You are already at 2 so I would suggest to raise it to 3 (that is the max) and see if that helps.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
On the other hand... your flow limitations are at 0.05, and we usually consider anything below 0.10 to be acceptable and of no concern.

Strive for comfort and good sleep, not for numbers.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks StaceyBurke for your reply, I was thinking of increasing EPR but am I hesitant due being susceptible to CAs  but I will consider doing this.

Thanks pholynyk for your reply, it's the reoccurring tight chest, as if it's had a good work out over night ! so not sure why that is. Also the spaceness, I can see there a few spikes in flow limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course, it you try EPR=3 (and give it a few nights to adjust) and Central events increase significantly, you can always revert to EPR=2. Sometimes it's a balancing act.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2022, 12:21 AM)clownbell Wrote: Of course, it you try EPR=3 (and give it a few nights to adjust) and Central events increase significantly, you can always revert to EPR=2. Sometimes it's a balancing act.

A good point Clownbell.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 224 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 20 1 hour ago
Last Post: ahuman
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.