Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New mask - is this leak acceptable?
New mask - is this leak acceptable?
So, I have been battling leaks for way too long, so I decided to give my amara view mask a second go. I think I have finally fit the mask as best I can, so I am curious as to what people think about it.  Feel free to ignore all the other parameters of the report, as I was awake and rolling around.. just concerned with leak. 

I FEEL like the fit is good, but I see the leak hovering around 10, and I cannot figure out WHERE it is leaking.  I don't feel my eyes getting winded, nor do I feel it around my mouth. If this was your mask, would you be happy with this leak rate?  I am going to look at some liners, but obviously I won't have them for days, so this is what I have for the time being. 

I am at this point now, since my mouth breathing is just out of control. Chin straps, taping.. all of it is failing, and while my AHI still says under 3, I need to be better than that. I don't mind the facehugger effect, especially if I can fix the serious leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New mask - is this leak acceptable?
As long as the small leak doesn't keep you awake it should be fine. Anything under 24 is good to go.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
See the gray bar in events under LL (Large Leak) at the start of this session, That bar says this may be a leak that you have to deal with, though not in this case since 1. you are awake and 2. it is at the very start of the session.

The system is designed to have some leakage, that gray bar means that your machine may not catch all events and react to them during this period. You are not even close.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something is wrong because your tidal volume and minute vent is off the charts, as in I've never seen anything close. Of course this is only a 20 minute session, so there may be more than meets the eye here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2018, 12:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Something is wrong because your tidal volume and minute vent is off the charts, as in I've never seen anything close.  Of course this is only a 20 minute session, so there may be more than meets the eye here.

Admittedly I wrote it off since I was awake and moving around (you can see where it calmed down a bit). On all my other masks, when I sleep, I am now at :

Min vent - 7
RR - 13
Tidal -530-560

When I did see the crazy numbers, I threw on my pulse ox, and was holding steady at about 60bpm and 97-98%.  I m not overly concerned since I have lost 62lb since starting, and am in the best shape I have been in a decade... Just something about being awake with the mask makes me breath deeper I am guessing. I do see my breathing spike at the beginning of each night and calm down, which is what I am guessing this is ( for what it's worth I can tell just sitting here, I am not breathing nearly as forcefully as I was with the mask. Wonder why it makes me breath so hard...)..

I guess if I decide to sleep with it tonight I will get a better picture of what it looks like. I just hate knowing that I have some leak I can't get rid of
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2018, 02:03 PM)Madcat207 Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 12:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Something is wrong because your tidal volume and minute vent is off the charts, as in I've never seen anything close.  Of course this is only a 20 minute session, so there may be more than meets the eye here.

Admittedly I wrote it off since I was awake and moving around (you can see where it calmed down a bit). On all my other masks, when I sleep, I am now at :

Min vent - 7
RR - 13
Tidal -530-560

When I did see the crazy numbers, I threw on my pulse ox, and was holding steady at about 60bpm and 97-98%.  I m not overly concerned since  I have lost 62lb since starting, and am in the best shape I have been in a decade... Just something about being awake with the mask makes me breath deeper I am guessing. I do see my breathing spike at the beginning of each night and calm down, which is what I am guessing this is ( for what it's worth I can tell just sitting here, I am not breathing nearly as forcefully as I was with the mask. Wonder why it makes me breath so hard...)..

I guess if I decide to sleep with it tonight I will get a better picture of what it looks like. I just hate knowing that I have some leak I can't get rid of

That is normal, and I frequently go over 600, but over 800-1000 is not something I expect to see I  a sleeper, maybe if you are exercising or sleeping on a treadmill.  Dielaughing
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2018, 02:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 02:03 PM)Madcat207 Wrote:

Min vent - 7
RR - 13
Tidal -530-560

When I did see the crazy numbers, I threw on my pulse ox, and was holding steady at about 60bpm and 97-98%.  I m not overly concerned since  I have lost 62lb since starting, and am in the best shape I have been in a decade... Just something about being awake with the mask makes me breath deeper I am guessing. I do see my breathing spike at the beginning of each night and calm down, which is what I am guessing this is ( for what it's worth I can tell just sitting here, I am not breathing nearly as forcefully as I was with the mask. Wonder why it makes me breath so hard...)..

That is normal, and I frequently go over 600, but over 800-1000 is not something I expect to see I  a sleeper, maybe if you are exercising or sleeping on a treadmill.  Dielaughing
Ah, so not as worrying since I am awake?  I still think I was mentally fighting the machine, hence the numbers. I may try a controlled nap where I have someone ensure that I wake up( aim for 15 min), and see how I responded when relaxed ( and so I don't hyperventilate all night..)

Still, sleeping on a treadmill could probably do me some good. Couch to 5k via the bed...  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I went back and tried it again, and the results were much more... normal. This time I did it normally, laying down, allowing myself to rest.

That said, I still have too much leak, but at least I know I am not doing a treadmill in bed with it on.   Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
There's always a bright side. You didn't have any events during those 10 minutes.

Thumbs-up-2
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 336 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,259 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 410 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,475 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,913 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 206 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.