Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New mask prototype from NASA
Okay, not really CPAP. It's for the astronauts to wear while exercising in space. It measures O2, CO2, and other stuff. But the cool part is it's not attached to anything. It records everything then uses Bluetooth to beam it to a computer.

Wonder if CPAP will someday do the same? But then, weight doesn't matter in space. It'd be impossible to sleep on your side. Top of the head maybe?

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegall..._2428.html

[Image: 720343main_puma_cropped_946-710.jpg]
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
With the advances in battery technology, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a self-contained Mask/CPAP unit with on-board batteries that is able to operate for 12+ hours without a recharge. Would be very useful for camping, airline flights, long bus or car trips, etc.

Miniaturization is the way things are going. I say give it another 3-4 years and we'll start to see self-contained Mask/CPAPs being introduced with no hose or electrical cord. Bulky at first, but with time, comfortable and very compact.

Heck, even now we've got CPAPs that are pretty darn small. For instance the Transcend II dimensions are 6.1 in x 3.5 in x 2.8 in. Pretty small:

[Image: Transcend-CPAP.jpg]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm. Nice mask, but can you wear it all night?

Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-18-2013, 01:01 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Heck, even now we've got CPAPs that are pretty darn small. For instance the Transcend II dimensions are 6.1 in x 3.5 in x 2.8 in. Pretty small:

Call me clueless but I thought the keys were used to operate the CPAP. Then I realized, maybe not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay. You're clueless.

Actually, I first thought it was something attached to the keyring but it would be awful big. So I guess we're both clueless!
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2013, 01:01 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Heck, even now we've got CPAPs that are pretty darn small. For instance the Transcend II dimensions are 6.1 in x 3.5 in x 2.8 in. Pretty small:

The future is already HERE! Too-funny

[Image: TranscendCPAPMachine3.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Okay, I guess miniaturization has a ways to go yet... Thinking-about

Whistle
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 12:59 AM)TheWerkz Wrote: [quote='SuperSleeper' pid='27569' dateline='1358532105']

Heck, even now we've got CPAPs that are pretty darn small. For instance the Transcend II dimensions are 6.1 in x 3.5 in x 2.8 in. Pretty small:

The future is already HERE! Too-funny

No good. No good.
The concept is intriguing but you still need to attach a battery pack if this configuration is to have any benefit. That would lay a bit heavier on one's head.
Ohwell
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought that the Transcend already had an on-board rechargeable battery..?

Is that really what those strap attachments are for on the sides of the Transcend - so you can put it on top of your head? Jiminy... that looks like a monstrosity if it's really intended to be worn like that... if not, what are the strap attachments used for?

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

I guess with the NASA mask they found a way to deal with leaks. I guess they are fitted specially fot one person.
A remote to go with CPAP would be great. I guess having AUTO start/stop is as close as we'll get.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NASA's Earth Day Global Selfie SuperSleeper 0 621 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper