Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New masks/pillows - do they all stink?
New masks/pillows - do they all stink?
Got a new P10 today (and machine a few days ago) to replace my loaner, just connected it up and checked that it was working... oh how it smells of plastic/silicon/rubber/whatever! Washed the new pillow but still stinks so have got the loaner on standby in case can't use the new one tonight.

Anyone have any secret ways of starting using new pillows/etc?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New masks/pillows - do they all stink?
No, never had a "new" smell that lingered on for any length of time. Once hooked up and with the air flow on for a few minutes, you should not notice that new plastic smell.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people are more sensitive than others. I suggest cleaning them per manufacturers instructions.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I really don't like the "new silicone/plastic smell." I tend to open the pillows packaging up at least a week before I intend on using a new pair. I also tend to wash them in vinegar-water (1 part vinegar to about 9-10 parts water) before I use them as that was what was recommended by the RT who set me up many years ago. And I much prefer the smell of vinegar to plastic. But most people don't like the smell of vinegar any more than the smell of "new plastic"
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are very sensitive to the new plastic smell, try dawn liquid dish soap to clean them. Rinse thoroughly and let air dry. You can rinse in vinegar, but then you may be smelling vinegar and plastic. Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend washing/soaking in dishwashing liquid or a dilute vinegar/water mixture as well.

When I first got my Wisp nasal pillows mask, I soaked the nasal cushion more than one time for a total of several hours before I could tolerate the smell.

I got a replacement nasal cushion for the mask about a month ago and it had no odor at all. I was suspicious that it wasn't new, but it was in a sealed Philips Respironics package.

Sensitivity to the smell of plastics and plasticizers seems to be a very individual thing.

It's a mystery to me.

(04-18-2016, 08:58 AM)HGMonaro Wrote: Got a new P10 today (and machine a few days ago) to replace my loaner, just connected it up and checked that it was working... oh how it smells of plastic/silicon/rubber/whatever! Washed the new pillow but still stinks so have got the loaner on standby in case can't use the new one tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2016, 08:58 AM)HGMonaro Wrote: Got a new P10 today (and machine a few days ago) to replace my loaner, just connected it up and checked that it was working... oh how it smells of plastic/silicon/rubber/whatever! Washed the new pillow but still stinks so have got the loaner on standby in case can't use the new one tonight.

They are supposed to have the mold release already washed out. My suggestion is to soak in a 1:10 solution of lemon juice for about 10 minutes. That should do it. You can also use apple juice if you want. You aren't trying to sterilize, just minimize the odor. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm ok with it now, it has either lost it's smell, or I'm accustomed to it now!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 03:54 AM)HGMonaro Wrote: I'm ok with it now, it has either lost it's smell, or I'm accustomed to it now!

I had that problem a while ago with a new shipment of the nasal pillows I received from the DME. The nasal pillows actually smelled like bovine manure to me. I took the pillows and soaked them in water with some baby shampoo overnight. Next morning I rinsed thoroughly and sat the nasal pillows on the window sill to air dry. The nasal pillows were fine that night. I have not had any further problems with nasal pillows smelling really bad. I think maybe it was something that happened to them during the manufacturing process.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.